who cares about the CD?

topofE

I see a lot of people asking about their cruise director on their upcoming cruise along with reviews about the CD they've had in the past. My question is (politely...I can't think of a way to ask without it sounding kinda snarky but that is NOT my intent), why do you care? I've only been on a handful of cruises, did a few contests, trivias, games, saw a few shows, and yet I couldn't begin to guess the name of the cruise director. People say that "xyz was 'very good'". What constitutes very good? I'm super "go with the flow" so I've never NEEDED to seek out staff or the CD and honestly I can't figure out how people know/care who their director is. Isn't it just entertainment?

Too funny. We were just discussing this last night. I have no earthly idea who my cruise directors have been. I see myself as my cruise director.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't tell you the name of any cruise directors on any of our trips. I never listen to the daily announcements, either. I tune in when I know it will pertain to me, such as regarding getting off at a port or something similiar.

On a kinda related topic, I never pay attention to the daily announcement from the captain. I can't understand a word!

Aside from ourselves...LOL....

We loved this married couple from 2005...from Britain...can't remember their names, but they were hilarious and adorable...and really loved their jobs. This was the 8-day Spirit out of San Diego.

The cheesy Aussie with the rollerskates and the disco fro...uh...maybe not so much. (Alaska, 2011?)

My most recent fave was Jace from my 3-day Inspiration. I just loved his wit and dry sarcasm.

On all of our cruises except two, I could care less who the CD was. John Heald was CD on those two. I'm not one of his disciples, but will say that his humor and style made a huge impact on our cruise enjoyment. Even his way of handling the muster drill was humorous.

I don't care at all. We did have big sexy josh on the last cruise and he was pretty good. Had Jamie on the dream and she was quite boring I thought. Actually didn't lay eyes on her until debarkation. I would like to sail with John heald. I love his sense of humor.

Just took my fourth cruise and didn't really understand the big to do with it until Matt on Breeze We had Steve on Dream and Elation and while good well it didn't make or break it and who knows who on Glory out of New York. However, Matt really seemed liven up the environment. It was amazing how much it added to the overall experience.

CD's have never played any part on any of our cruises. We do our own thing at all times. I'm aware they are there, but we've never had a reason to interact with a CD. Like one of the other posters said, "We're our own CD). LOL! Oh yea, and we're good too!:D

I have sailed on Carnival 3x, NCL 2x and Celebrity 1x plus several other cruises on no longer existant lines.

Normally, I don't give a fig about who the CD is. It is MY job to plan my activities and excursions. HOWEVER, there is 1 Carnival CD I do NOT like & avoid sailing with. I find him pompous and arrogant. Then again, DD2 LOVES him as do most other cruisers.

In the beginning we went to most of the shows in the main lounge and that was when we saw them and some could be rather funny.

Lately since the advent of playlist we dont go very often and never even see the CD.

Will say the new CD on the Glory DR E was rather good in Feb aswe saw him often around the ship.

We've never cared who the CD was. The only one that made any impression on us was Big Sexy (Josh) on our last cruise. We ended up talking to him for a few minutes following the Love & Marriage show, really nice guy and funny too!

I see a lot of people asking about their cruise director on their upcoming cruise along with reviews about the CD they've had in the past. My question is (politely...I can't think of a way to ask without it sounding kinda snarky but that is NOT my intent), why do you care? I've only been on a handful of cruises, did a few contests, trivias, games, saw a few shows, and yet I couldn't begin to guess the name of the cruise director. People say that "xyz was 'very good'". What constitutes very good? I'm super "go with the flow" so I've never NEEDED to seek out staff or the CD and honestly I can't figure out how people know/care who their director is. Isn't it just entertainment?

Just groupies.

Most don't care until they have one that's bad.

I was also in the 'I don't care' mode but then I had the pleasure of Jamie as CD on Sunshine in Feb. followed by Josh on Pride in May and I loved both of them.

They made my wonderful cruises even more wonderful.

I hope to cruise with both of them again in the future.

Apparently with this new change to entertainment director there will be wholesale changes in the ranks of the CD's.

Think that many of them will not be happy by having a new layer of management above them.

JH posted something the other day on fb that makes me think he is not happy with this change either.

Apparently with this new change to entertainment director there will be wholesale changes in the ranks of the CD's.

Think that many of them will not be happy by having a new layer of management above them.

JH posted something the other day on fb that makes me think he is not happy with this change either.

Sounds like corporate is forcing the CD's back into the role of intermingling with the passengers. Back in the days of the smaller ships, they were out and about.

It wasn't until the breed of John Heald types where all of a sudden they were entertainers, only to be seen at a show, basically as an MC, and never at other times, or trying to be in Cognito. I think that port has just been pulled.

The people who asked care who their CD is. For those that don't care, nothing wrong with that. For those that care a great deal, nothing wrong with that. Some people would never watch American Idol again if Ryan Seacrest weren't hosting. Some people would keep watching if there were no host at all. But marketing has proven that good hosts are extremely important to success. Maybe not to you, but overall, they are very important. Cruising dynamics can always change, and the types of people that are on the ships could dictate changes in the roles of a CD & a possible decrease or increase in the importance of a host. Whether Carnival's changes in the role line up with these changes, I don't know.

I enjoy a good host. The really great ones have added to my experiences. The boring ones have taken nothing away, but I like the good ones.

Edited by k2excursion
Godzilla attack