Trip Report -- day in Glacier Bay on the Zuiderdam

bumperoo

Scenic Cruising in Glacier Bay -- I kept peeking outside because I was so excited. There was something special about standing on my private balcony waiting for the sunrise and my first glimpses of Glacier Bay. This was my chance to see all that is possible in nature. Since this is a National Park, we were lucky to have a Park Ranger and a Huna Cultural Interpreter join us for our cruising in Glacier Bay.

I woke my sleepyhead husband at 6:45. We swung by the the Lido buffet and grabbed the nicely wrapped bacon, egg and cheese biscuits and a cup of coffee to go. We headed for the Crow's Nest to meet our special guests. The Ranger and Huna guide gave us a hint of the wonders that we were about to experience.

We were extremely blessed to have plenty of sunshine that magnified the beauty that surrounded us. We wanted to spend the first portion of the journey in the solitude of our balcony. We had our TV channel set to 43 so that we could hear the commentary whenever we stepped inside. Our eyes peered through binoculars and our fingers stayed busy pressing the shutter button on our cameras. At 8:00, we were passing by Gloomy Knob checking every movement in hopes of seeing some mountain goats climbing on the rocks. There is a thrill beyond compare when you get the chance to see wild life in their homes.

Our first glacier sighting was the Lamplugh Glacier. I hugged my husband feeling like a giddy teenager. This was a moment that I had dreamed about my whole life. The beauty I witnessed was just a preview of what was to come. John Hopkins Glacier was magnificent. The sunlight bounced off the glacier and the water mirrored the image. It was a sight to behold. The jagged peaks provided a postcard perfect scene.

Holland America has a tradition of serving pea soup on the outside decks. We weren't really hungry but wanted to experience the tradition. The decks were a bevy of activity. Amateur and professional photographers snapped pictures in every open space. We decided that we would join our fellow cruisers and wander the decks to savor every bit of the breathtaking gift from Mother Nature.

At Marjerie Glacier, the Captain stopped the ship so that we could stand and be mesmerized by her beauty with the hope of witnessing the glacier calving. This is a sight to behold. Sapphire hued chunks of iced broke off the face of the glacier into the sea. The sound goes right through your body. It is unlike anything you have ever experienced before. It was my best oooh aaah moment. The Captain slowly turned the ship so that everyone had a chance to take in the splendor that was Marjerie.

As the ship turned, we decided our eyes needed a break from feasting and it was time to feed our bellies. We went to the Dive-In restaurant and ordered a few gourmet burgers to accompany our Alaskan brews. I found myself humming "Cheeseburger in Paradise" as I munched on my delicious Gouda burger.

Since we were in an aft cabin, we went back to our cabin to experience the sail through Tar Inlet and keep the glacier in our rear view mirror for as long as pissible. When the Ship approached South Marble Island, we headed to the Crow's Nest to search for wildlife. We were fortunate to be sitting near two kids who had eyes like an eagle. With our spotters working at peak performance, we were able to see one whale, lots of otters and a whole island of sea lions.

At 3:30, the rangers prepared to leave the ship. It was fun watching the leave and enthusiastically wave to a satisfied crowd of happy gawkers.

We went to the sea view bar and grabbed a cocktail as we passed into North Inian Pass.

I was exhausted after the most peaceful day in my life. It had truly been the best day ever. My senses were on overload and it was time to retreat to my cabin for a power nap.

Tonight, is the second formal night. It seems only fitting that the beauty of the day should continue into the night. We got glamorous and headed to the MDR. The meal was festive and delicious -- Shrimp cocktail, Caesar Salad, Five Onion Soup, Surf and Turf, Hot Molten Cake and Spanish Coffee.

We went to see the sow Sean O'Shea who provided music, impressions, and comedy that I didn't quite get. I guess Glacier Bay was a hard act to follow.

We went to the Sports bar and grabbed cocktails to take back to our cabin. We stood on our balcony and said goodnight to the moon. I laid in bed that night and thanked God for a day of magnificent splendor that will forever be etched in my heart and mind.

Love your detailed reporting.....I feel like I'm right there watching the glaciers with you!

I could go every year just to see those glaciers-so peaceful and calming. We had the luxury last September for a great upsell to a Neptune suite so had friends join us on our balcony while at Marjerie. Our friends loved it (as did I!) We felt we could just reach over and touch it we were so close.

So glad you had a great day for glacier viewing:)

Beautiful!!

Your words are just so.........how can I put this and make sense?????? So descriptive that one actually feels as if they are there with you seeing and feeling the awe and beauty of what you are actually seeing:)

I've been to the glaciers and all the ports you are reviewing and know the feelings you went through, but can never get enough. 24 days and we will be reveling in the same awe and splendor once more:)

I do have to ask though, where can I find your books? With a talent such as yours, I KNOW you have to be an author of some really great books!!! You make everything come alive!!

Joanie

Confession time....visiting AK is not on my bucket list! It was my late FIL's biggest dream to see and biggest regret of not seeing AK. My DH had heard about it for years, and well, we are going for Dad and my DH! To be honest, the more research I have done, and the eloquent reviews such as this, have made me beyond thrilled to be planning this trip! I can't wait to see my DH's expressions as he gets to see these incredible sights! I'm going to let him read this review tonight, after his golf game-of course, and will love seeing his excitement that you have expressed! Thank you for your review!!!

While I was reading your review, I was transported back to Glacier Bay. I thought to myself you must be an author. Your writing style is mesmerizing.

Please post more reviews of your Alaskan experiences.