HMC Clamshells

CrazyCanuckCruzer

Three of us are sailing on the Glory B2B October 18th and 25th. I have a few questions regarding clam shells at HMC:

1. What is the cost of reserving a clamshell?

2. Will this shell accommodate three adults?

3. What, if anything, is included with the rental - ie loungers, water?

4. Can we pick the location of the clamshell on the beach?

5. Can we reserve one now, before arriving on the Glory, or do we have to wait until to get on board?

Any answers anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

We rented a clamshell on HMC, two years ago.

You just reserve them when you get there. They cannot be reserved earlier.

I want to say they are somewhere between $15-17 each.

You will only fit two chairs under there.

You just take the chairs off the beach.

Just a word of caution......When you are under these, it is STIFLING.

There is absolutely ZERO air flow.

I would not rent one again.

Better off just pulling your chairs underneath the trees for shade, at least this way, you get a breeze.

Good Luck!!!!:D

Just a word of caution......When you are under these, it is STIFLING.

There is absolutely ZERO air flow.

I would not rent one again.

Better off just pulling your chairs underneath the trees for shade, at least this way, you get a breeze.

Good Luck!!!!:D

That is SO discouraging. I was really considering the clamshells if I wasn't able to snag a cabana (I wouldn't normally justify the cost but the day we'll be in HMC is actually our anniversary date).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Three of us are sailing on the Glory B2B October 18th and 25th. I have a few questions regarding clam shells at HMC:

5. Can we reserve one now, before arriving on the Glory, or do we have to wait until to get on board?

Was just there in early May...the cost was $19.99 and you pay for it on your sea pass card at a little hut they have set up for water-type sports. We just walked along until we found one we wanted. A guy will come along and tell you where to pay and set it up for you...2 loungers, clean off chairs. I did give him a $5 tip.

You can find a spot wherever you like. We were off the ship first thing in the morning, so we had a good choice. We went near the pirate ship bar to hear the music. It was cloudy and poured down rain that day, so I can't speak to the heat inside of it. Actually was great for keeping us dry! You can have them set it up under a tree...that might help with the heat.

HMC is so beautiful...even in the rain.

Karen

Pretty much the same experience as DKLI. We were there in early May and just chose a clamshell under the trees. No problem with airflow and it was warm that day. We'll do the same thing next time.

That is SO discouraging. I was really considering the clamshells if I wasn't able to snag a cabana (I wouldn't normally justify the cost but the day we'll be in HMC is actually our anniversary date).

The second you get on the ship go directly to the excursions desk and see if they have any cabanas .....bet they do. I know for a fact that they dont rent all of them over the computer. You need to be getting on the ship early enough to snag one and go directly to the desk....don't wait.

Good luck.

The second you get on the ship go directly to the excursions desk and see if they have any cabanas .....bet they do. I know for a fact that they dont rent all of them over the computer. You need to be getting on the ship early enough to snag one and go directly to the desk....don't wait.

Good luck.

I'm hoping to be able to book one online. Fortunately I'm Platinum so I might be able to get to the desk early enough to get one if I miss them online :) I understand you need to go to the SE desk anyway if you want to reserve a specific number.

OK - I guess my next question is - how much are the cabanas? We were looking to minimize the cost, but it we can't fit three loungers in a clamshell, renting one kind of defeats the purpose... Note that there will only be three of us. Again, thanks for your help.

OK - I guess my next question is - how much are the cabanas? We were looking to minimize the cost, but it we can't fit three loungers in a clamshell, renting one kind of defeats the purpose... Note that there will only be three of us. Again, thanks for your help.

The clamshell was $19.99 when we were there in December 2012. A clamshell will not fit three loungers....it is only made for two and its even a tight squeeze with two loungers.

I would definitely not rent one. As others have mentioned there is no air flow when you are sitting under the clamshell. Just pull three loungers into the shade under a tree....it will be so much better than renting a clamshell

Great answers! Just wanted to add that Carol & I got one several cruises ago. We propped up the back of the shell with a piece of wood we found and it appreciably increased windflow and lowered the heat factor. We also found a spot under one of the numerous trees, but down away from the bar area.

We would rent one again as the trade-off for a little heat was less than the increase in sun exposure. We have both battled that nasty "C" word enough, thank you very much! :)

At last report they were $229 and could accommodate up to four people (more could go, it's just only set up for a maximum of four).

The info given is correct. Space for two loungers. Rented at the stand when you get to the island. One stand is near where you get off the tender; the other is by the pirate bar. They are folded flat until rented. An attendant brings the bar to prop them open. No frills like water; just the shade. There are usually coral rocks behind the clamshells. Use them to prop up the back and allow air to flow.

Ive heard too propping them makes all the difference in the world.

We have only had Cabanas our 2 trips there and will again our 3rd. We do the small 4 person cabana for $229. You can book online but not pick your cabana until you board.

You do get perks with the cabana (or did last time I was there)

- snorkel gear (4)

- floatie mats (4)

- soda/water (think combo of 8 total your choice)

- fruit plate

- chips and salsa

- A/C unit

- shower

-private loungers

- place to keep your items dry and sand free

We love this option!!

Be aware that the rental price is for 4 people but only one person has to pay it. It is not for each person. There is food soda floats etc provided for f0ur people . You can bring your bar-be-cue lunch back and just sit in air conditioned comfort. Have been lucky to have been there twice and used cabanas (small) both times. We had a party of 6, 4 adults and 2 youth the last time. They only provide for 4 but really there was nore that enough for all of us. and there was really never a time during or stay that all of us were in there at the same time. The teenagers just used it ar a place of reference. They relaxed in the hammocks under the trees by the cabana. Have never used the clamshells.

We just used the clam shell in May. We used 3 loungers under it, just no leg room between each lounger. We went further down past the bar and got one under a tree. No problem with the heat.

I was at HMC last week. I saw someone put 3 loungers under their clamshell, but it's tight. We didn't use clamshells, but went further down the beach (past the pirate ship bar) and sat in chairs under the trees, between the cabanas.