Victoria BC

I know this port is not in Alaska but it is the last port of our Alaskan cruise in September. I haven't been able to find any threads on Victoria but if there is one please point me in that direction. I'm not really finding many excursions through NCL in Victoria that make me want to book one. Does anyone know what is near the cruise port, walking distance, that is worth going to? Is Beacon Park worth the walk? Anything else? We arrive late afternoon and don't leave until 9:30pm. I don't expect us to stay ashore that late though. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There are usually at least a couple of active threads (< a week or two old) about Victoria here on the Canada board as well as West Coast Departures and Alaska - some very recent ones focused on getting to Butchart Gardens with a short stop in port, as that's a very popular place to go. If you haven't mastered the Search yet, try using a regular Google search with the following copy & pasted in:

site:boards.cruisecritic.com "victoria"

Just change the part in the quote marks to "butchart" "craigdarroch" "victoria BC" "vancouver island" and any other search terms you're interested in and browse through the results. You'll probably find Googles tools like 'search by date' more versatile than the built-in cruise critic search facility - and a lot more reliable... You will get some hits on the cruise ship Victoria unless you include BC - but it's usually trivial to just scan the results visually and see what the context of the 'hit' is.

Or just scroll through the first couple of pages of the Canada & Alaska boards and you will definitely find several thread titles from the last week or two, like:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050720

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2047697

A very brief summary of your options near the port - you can walk downtown (20mins if you go direct, nearer 30 if you stick to the waters edge as much as possible). Walking directions are well sign-posted. Taxis & buses show up right outside the ships to give tours of town, out to Butchart etc. There's also a shuttle just to downtown & back if you don't want to walk (but at $10pp, it's cheaper & faster in a cab if you are a couple let alone a family or large group).

Beacon hill gives some nice views, and they're a tad more urban than much of what you've seen in Alaska so you may enjoy the contrast. Most folks including me seem to think Victoria's biggest strength though is the downtown waterfront area - Parliament Buildings, Fairmont Empress (for a formal Tea if that's your thing), the Royal BC Museum, lots of fairly British-style pubs (my favourite is Swans, they actually keep beer at the correct temperature!), a small-but-interesting and well-documented Chinatown.

Many cruises have a terribly short stop in Victoria, frankly just to comply with US laws rather than to actually give you the chance to see Victoria - a shame, as it's a nice little city.

Victoria is a lovely city with an area population of about 350,000. Many of its historic buildings have been preserved and for years Victorians were considered more British than Britain. Likely the single most popular tour is that of Butchart Gardens but with you arriving in the late afternoon you would be best to stick to a ship's tour. The downtown is a very easy, level 20 minute walk from the cruise terminal and the path is well marked. No visit to Victoria is complete without a visit to the Empress Hotel and a walk on Government St. with its many unique shops. Another excellent visit is the Royal British Columbia Museum but be mindful of its hours. On summer evenings there is performance of buskers on the causeway on the Inner Harbour in front of the Empress Hotel. A cab ride will run you about $10 to or from the cruise terminal/ Empress.

http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/

• 2 weeks later...

Given the short amount of time, here are the things I recommend you do in Victoria:

If you're into walking, there is a nice walk from the cruise terminal along Dallas Road. Walk out to the end of the breakwater if you want, or up toward Beacon Hill Park. You could even walk to Fisherman's Wharf (like mini-San Francisco).

A little further away is Victoria's Inner Harbour. This really is a must-see. Its a bit of a walk, or a short cab ride (maybe $10). Go there, take some pictures in front of the Parliament buildings and the Empress Hotel. Head up government street and grab a bite to eat.

There are a couple of great pubs not far from the Inner Harbour that are worth checking out: Bard and Banker, and irish times. Both owned by the same owner, and very British. Fun.

I recommend hopping on one of the double-decker bus tours to catch a glimpse of some of the sites. You won't see everything but they will take you along Dallas Road, Beach Drive, through Oak Bay, China Town, etc. It soooo easy and you're going to get the best.

I would NOT recommend Butchart Garden given your time limit.

The gardens do take a few hours to go through....you could rush it and walk through fast but you would miss so much.

Personally I would save the Gardens for another trip and instead would cab or walk to Inner Harbour, explore the Empress and Government street.

Inner Harbour at dusk is a lovely site :)

The city itself is beautiful and it is just fun to walk around for a few hours to just take in the sights and the beauty of the city. You will undoubtedly have taken a lot of excursions in Alaska and for this city I would just enjoy it without a lot of planning.

Keith

Thanks for all the information. I think we will just end up walking around here. What about Beacon Hill Park? Is it worth a walk to see it? Thanks.

Beacon Hill Park is all right, umm.. pretty but not really much to do there. I would not recommend walking through after dark, or even close to dusk - just my personal recommendation in concern for your safety. :) I guess I wouldn't make it a priority, is what I'm saying. If you want, you could take a horse and carriage ride through the part, that would be very pretty and romantic. I mean, since you mentioned it in your original post, you probably have your mind set of getting there, so yes go ahead - if you are fairly fit and don't mind the walk, you can get there at some point.

The Inner Harbour and the Parliament Buildings are very pretty at sunset and twilight so be sure to get some pictures but leave yourself time to get back to the ship.

Thanks for the info on Beacon Hill. Maybe we will just pass that one up this time too. It' looks like Inner Harbour and downtown will be our best things to do.

Yes, you'll have a wonderful time there. I looked it up and for mid-September, sunset seems to be around 7:30 pm or so. It will be beautiful in the Inner Harbour for picture taking. Enjoy your day there. :)

We were in Victoria from 6PM till 12AM, which is some pretty radical time. But we also walked around the harbor area, and we did a great ghost walk once it got dark (if you are into things like this)

here are a few of my pix from Victoria, mostly around the harbor area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain631.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain634.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain647.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain673.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain692.jpg

Cheers

Len

Beacon Hill Park is all right, umm.. pretty but not really much to do there. I would not recommend walking through after dark, or even close to dusk - just my personal recommendation in concern for your safety. :) I guess I wouldn't make it a priority, is what I'm saying. If you want, you could take a horse and carriage ride through the part, that would be very pretty and romantic. I mean, since you mentioned it in your original post, you probably have your mind set of getting there, so yes go ahead - if you are fairly fit and don't mind the walk, you can get there at some point.

The Inner Harbour and the Parliament Buildings are very pretty at sunset and twilight so be sure to get some pictures but leave yourself time to get back to the ship.

I so agree with you and I am a local Victorian but you wouldn't catch me near Beacon Hill park after dusk, not saying it is a bad spot of Victoria after dark but there is nothing of interest and yes for me safety would be a concern.

I so agree with you and I am a local Victorian but you wouldn't catch me near Beacon Hill park after dusk, not saying it is a bad spot of Victoria after dark but there is nothing of interest and yes for me safety would be a concern.

Yes - I lived in Victoria for over 35 years and have gone to BHP many times: when I was a youth growing up there (Queenie the horse!), as a youth when I got my driver's license, and returned as a Mom with her own children. We knew the park was lovely but never stayed after dusk. ;)

I was recently in Victoria. We took a cab to Abkhazi Garden. It's only about an acre but it's lovely. It's only open until about 5 pm so it may not work for you if you're arriving late afternoon. Admittance is by donation.

There is a tea house where one can have a light lunch or tea. For more information, here is the website: http://blog.conservancy.bc.ca/properties/vancouver-island-region/abkhazi-garden/visiting-abkhazi-garden/

Whatever you do, enjoy your cruise and your visit to Victoria!

As another Victoria resident, I will echo what others have said, and recommend wondering down to the inner harbor and some of the side streets. It is a pleasant walk, and honestly after being on a ship for 1 - 2 sea days it is nice to get off. The residential area between the terminal at the inner harbor is a pleasant neighborhood.

It is the last day of your cruise and honestly just wondering around is a nice break.

I was thinking the same thing em-sk. By the time we get to Victoria it will be nice to just take our time and leisurely walk around the city. Besides I think by then our excursion budget will be depleted from everything we do at the other ports.

So glad I found this thread! We will be in Victoria on September 6th, docking at 6pm. We are very interested in walking around the Inner Harbour and Fisherman's Wharf. I have read that there are seals in the harbor to feed and would very much like to feed them. About how long would it take to walk to Fisherman's Wharf from where NCL docks? Should we still have time to buy fish and feed them? Planning to do this them just enjoy the downtown/Inner Harbour area. Would love to get some good fish and chips. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

So glad I found this thread! We will be in Victoria on September 6th, docking at 6pm. We are very interested in walking around the Inner Harbour and Fisherman's Wharf. I have read that there are seals in the harbor to feed and would very much like to feed them. About how long would it take to walk to Fisherman's Wharf from where NCL docks? Should we still have time to buy fish and feed them? Planning to do this them just enjoy the downtown/Inner Harbour area. Would love to get some good fish and chips. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Fisherman's wharf is about 8 blocks (see map below). As for fish and chips, hard to beat Barb's right at Fisherman's Wharf.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.41892,-123.373418&spn=0.020108,0.049567

Fisherman's wharf is about 8 blocks (see map below). As for fish and chips, hard to beat Barb's right at Fisherman's Wharf.

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.41892,-123.373418&spn=0.020108,0.049567

We used to love Barbs until two years ago when we discovered that the fish and chips right next to the fish shop (where you buy the fish to feed the seals) actually has better fish and chips. Fresher biggger pieces, the batter is really crisp and not too heavily battered, chips are great and the homemade tartar sauce and coleslaw are incredible. Don't quote me but I think their prices are cheaper the Barbs which is located a few stalls down.

Afterwards it is always nice to have an ice cream cone for dessert and walk around the house boats. Love the house that has all those cell phones, pagers and devices hung up on his house.

Yes - I lived in Victoria for over 35 years and have gone to BHP many times: when I was a youth growing up there (Queenie the horse!), as a youth when I got my driver's license, and returned as a Mom with her own children. We knew the park was lovely but never stayed after dusk. ;)

We were most likely there the same time both as children then as mothers with our children.

Queenie was lovely :) What great memories you have brought back :)

If you're into walking, there is a nice walk from the cruise terminal along Dallas Road. Walk out to the end of the breakwater if you want, or up toward Beacon Hill Park. You could even walk to Fisherman's Wharf (like mini-San Francisco).

How far is the walk to Fisherman's Wharf? Is it worth the walk? I have a sore knee. :(

How far is the walk to Fisherman's Wharf? Is it worth the walk? I have a sore knee. :(

Hi there - this was answered in post #21. You could take a cab there and walk back, if you want.