Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus...PLEASE TAKE MOSQUITO SPRAY, this is serious

We traveled the western route on the Allure in July and took and used our bug spray on both Labadee and Jamaica.

We did the zip line on Jamaica, and not one "bug" came near us.

Labadee we were so much in and out of the water, it probably washed off early...........but had no problems then.

Sea Ya

• 2 weeks later...

I am not an alarmist. Notwithstanding, I am totally baffled by the lackadaisical attitude taken by most posters. Figures announced today put the number of cases in the Caribbean at over a million and soaring. I understand why cruise lines and resorts would prefer this matter not make headlines. I cannot understand why, given the horrible consequences of being bitten, posts talk about it not being fatal (though I am told you might wish it was), people never seeing a mosquito (last i heard they are pretty tiny) and, my favorite..live and be happy and just bring bug spray.

I am scheduled to go to Caribbean in January. I have not allowed myself to become overly cautious -- but it is getting worse..much worse. There are vacation options. Cancelling the cruise would not mean I need to hide under the bed and lock my windows and doors, as some here imply is the alternative.

I'm "was" also a mosquito magnet. Years ago I'd read that Garlic in the blood turns mosquitos off biting. I thought it was worth a try.

I've since been using odorless garlic capsules during our mosquito season. We live with ponds in our and neighbouring yards and beside a creek. I have not had a bite since the start of using the supplement.

However, understand not everyone may use garlic supplements ie effects some blood pressure medication so if you consider it consult your physician first.

Enjoy your cruises everyone!

I am not an alarmist. Notwithstanding, I am totally baffled by the lackadaisical attitude taken by most posters. Figures announced today put the number of cases in the Caribbean at over a million and soaring.

CDC says this. "As of September 19, 2014, local transmission had been identified in 34 countries or territories in the Caribbean, Central America, South America, or North America. A total of 729,178 suspected and 10,845 laboratory-confirmed chikungunya cases had been reported from these areas"

11K confirmed cases.

The rest are maybes. Come on.

The most common symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain. Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash.

I can get any and all of those at just about any time, including on a cruise when I'm walking a lot, eating weird food, sleeping on weird pillows, and being exposed to all sorts of germs.

Gosh, I wonder why there are 700K *suspected* cases, with those as the most common symptoms. Most people probably just have colds or hangovers.

Most people who get sick feel better within a week.

Of course they do. This is not worth worrying about IMO.

Most people get over colds in a week. For some it takes longer. This is normal when people have funky immune systems. If you have one of those funky immune systems, maybe, possibly...don't go to where you can catch something like this?

Either way, freaking out isn't going to help anything. Might lower that immune system, though!

Neat:

Use products with the following active ingredients:

• Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD (Products containing OLE include Repel and Off! Botanicals)

Sounds simple.

(all info and quotes from the CDC for those who are curious...not a source I generally use given my normal feelings on healthcare, but it's one many other people listen to)

CDC says this. "As of September 19, 2014, local transmission had been identified in 34 countries or territories in the Caribbean, Central America, South America, or North America. A total of 729,178 suspected and 10,845 laboratory-confirmed chikungunya cases had been reported from these areas"

11K confirmed cases.

The rest are maybes. Come on.

I can get any and all of those at just about any time, including on a cruise when I'm walking a lot, eating weird food, sleeping on weird pillows, and being exposed to all sorts of germs.

Gosh, I wonder why there are 700K *suspected* cases, with those as the most common symptoms. Most people probably just have colds or hangovers.

Of course they do. This is not worth worrying about IMO.

Most people get over colds in a week. For some it takes longer. This is normal when people have funky immune systems. If you have one of those funky immune systems, maybe, possibly...don't go to where you can catch something like this?

Either way, freaking out isn't going to help anything. Might lower that immune system, though!

Neat:

Sounds simple.

(all info and quotes from the CDC for those who are curious...not a source I generally use given my normal feelings on healthcare, but it's one many other people listen to)

Another useless post.

This thread has some useful information, but far too much panic and speculation... Here's some links and information from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/

Information Fact Sheet from the CDC; http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACT%20SHEET_CDC_General%20Public_cleared.pdf

CHIK_Caribbean_Map-061714.jpg

going-to-caribbean-800.jpg

been-in-caribbean-800.jpg

BUT, TO PUT THIS ALL IN PROSPECTIVE... YOUR GREATEST RISK IS TRAVELING TO AND FROM THE SHIP PRIOR TO AND AFTER YOUR VACATION ENDS...

road-safety-8-tips.jpg

Well "expressed"! :)

• 4 months later...
Make sure your insect repellent contains DEET. You spray your body and clothes with it and it will keep the mosquitoes away.

You are correct, DEET is known to be very effective. There is some question about whether it might have less beneficial effects (particularly in high concentration), just sayin'. Particularly for those who are immunocompromised.

I heard that Chikungunya is already on the decline in Grand Cayman. Anyone know of any other places? Is it still as bad as it was in Jamaica last October? Is Royal Caribbean spraying for mosquitoes in Labadee? I haven't heard anything about Cozumel, is Chikungunya present there?

Edited by Canadian Cruiser98

Dear CC Family,

We returned back on the Allure of the Seas on Sunday 06/08 and did the Western route to Labadee, Haiti; Falmouth, Jamaica and Cozumel, Mexico. For the first time ever, a mosquito bite went from a dime size to an orange size on my leg. Along with a fever of 104, sore throat, cancer sore on my tongue, lymph node under my left arm, severe back pain, cold sweats, hives all over my body and the inability to move my arms or walk!

Luckily with the proper medical attention and anti-biotics I survived but it ruined the last couple days of my cruise. Please take heed to this warning in the news and use mosquito/bug spray while visiting the Caribbean.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-states-report-cases-mosquito-borne-chikungunya-virus-204725288.html;_ylt=A0LEVxLgTJtTuUUAYP9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByaHEyNGMxBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1VJQzFfMQ--

Thanks for reading and take care!

Sorry for your bad experience. Do you know which island you were bit on?