Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus...PLEASE TAKE MOSQUITO SPRAY, this is serious

Don't forget about Malaria, Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, Japanese B Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, Tick Borne Encephalitis, Filariasis, Lyme Disease, Leishmaniasis, Sleeping Sickness, Chagas Disease, Typhus Fever, and the Plague. All are spread by insects, mostly mosquitos.

Or you can just stop worrying, get out of the bubble, and live your life.

Currently, none of those are on the CDC's list of Travel Health Notices. Chikungunya is.

Originally Posted by Mapleleafforever

Don't forget about Malaria, Yellow Fever, Dengue Fever, Japanese B Encephalitis, West Nile Virus, Tick Borne Encephalitis, Filariasis, Lyme Disease, Leishmaniasis, Sleeping Sickness, Chagas Disease, Typhus Fever, and the Plague. All are spread by insects, mostly mosquitos.

Or you can just stop worrying, get out of the bubble, and live your life.

Well you see, the first part is a list of a few diseases that are spread via insects that you should also be aware of, just like the Chikungunya Virus.

The second part is meant to suggest that you can choose whether or not to worry about them.

Do you understand now?

I'm not aware that anyone was suggesting that people live in bubbles or stop living their lives. It's the melodramatic tone that I don't get and the failure to offer any useful information. Chikungunya virus is a relatively new disease in the vicinity that some people are concerned about.

If we dismiss the snarky tone in your original message and the follow up then you seem to suggest that rather than learn about these things and take appropriate precautions people should just get out and ignore them. I would think that if you really are concerned about the list of diseases and parasitic infections that you posted, you should also post how likely people are to contract them. Which countries are they prolific in? What is the position of the CDC on these? Are there public health warnings for them as there are with Chikungunya? What are the preventative measures and what treatment options are available? What is the typical prognosis if one contracts one of them?

Edited by Sitzmark

I think all these nasty sarcastic responses are being written by those people who didn't get educated and make reasonable choices for their own protection ......and now a mosquito bit them and it is effecting their brain. If the only thing you have to do, is get on cc and make nasty comments, you truly have more problems then anyone who would be unfortunate enough to get this virus.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

I think all these nasty sarcastic responses are being written by those people who didn't get educated and make reasonable choices for their own protection ......and now a mosquito bit them and it is effecting their brain. If the only thing you have to do, is get on cc and make nasty comments, you truly have more problems then anyone who would be unfortunate enough to get this virus.

Pot, meet kettle.:D

Edited by time4u2go

mosquito's usually will hunt me down:( so I usually use the Off repellent that hooks onto my clothes and it has worked great here at home, which is South Georgia, USA, We will be going to Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel in January 2015 on the Oasis. Would it work, do you think as good?

I am like most of the CC's on here, it is something we all need to be careful about.

Where is the LIKE button :)

Jamie

Yes, its spreading... luckily, its not in the US but those that have returned from the Caribbean are experiencing this allergic reaction/viral infection. Its serious if not treated.

Not having read all of this thread, I beg to differ with you......it is starting to show up in the Southern U.S.

What I have heard, is that there is no cure for this mosquito bite. It's very alarming, but the best protection is a great protectant, like Deet 40, where no mosquito (hopefully) will touch you.

I'm still learning about this, and if anyone, especially a doctor of knowledge, is on this board, can fill us in of this new breed of mosquito's and the best way to keep them away from one's body......would be greatly appreciated.

The best to anyone that has experienced the bite, and for those with upcoming cruises, this is a great time to give a warning, and the chance to be protected.

Rick

Not having read all of this thread, I beg to differ with you......it is starting to show up in the Southern U.S.

What I have heard, is that there is no cure for this mosquito bite. It's very alarming, but the best protection is a great protectant, like Deet 40, where no mosquito (hopefully) will touch you.

I'm still learning about this, and if anyone, especially a doctor of knowledge, is on this board, can fill us in of this new breed of mosquito's and the best way to keep them away from one's body......would be greatly appreciated.

The best to anyone that has experienced the bite, and for those with upcoming cruises, this is a great time to give a warning, and the chance to be protected.

Rick

I don't think it's a new breed of mosquito. What I heard in a news story yesterday is if someone gets bit by an infected mosquito in the Caribbean, comes home and is bit by a mosquito in the US, the US mosquito is now a carrier.

Another note, while researching this yesterday (we go to the Caribbean Sunday), I found a report from 2004 (so I don't know if it's still valid) that using sunscreen AND DEET can be harmful. Somehow the sunscreen makes the DEET absorb into the skin quicker and more potent. According to the report, that's not a good thing.

Here's the report if you want to read it... http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20040916/bug-spray-sunscreen-may-not-be-good-mix

There's no cure because it's not typically fatal....

That was the point of my earlier post -- this is not a fatal disease. You will likely get sick, yes, but it's not going to kill you unless you're already pretty darn unhealthy / immunocompromised in some way.

There's no cure because it's not typically fatal....

That was the point of my earlier post -- this is not a fatal disease. You will likely get sick, yes, but it's not going to kill you unless you're already pretty darn unhealthy / immunocompromised in some way.

There is no cure because there is no cure. It makes no difference if it is a fatal illness or not.

I don't think it's a new breed of mosquito. What I heard in a news story yesterday is if someone gets bit by an infected mosquito in the Caribbean, comes home and is bit by a mosquito in the US, the US mosquito is now a carrier.

Another note, while researching this yesterday (we go to the Caribbean Sunday), I found a report from 2004 (so I don't know if it's still valid) that using sunscreen AND DEET can be harmful. Somehow the sunscreen makes the DEET absorb into the skin quicker and more potent. According to the report, that's not a good thing.

Here's the report if you want to read it... http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20040916/bug-spray-sunscreen-may-not-be-good-mix

Interesting article.

The article I read a few days ago at FoxNews.com said that if you use sunscreen and deet, apply the sunscreen first, then apply the deet. So, we've been applying the sunscreen then waiting to apply the deet.

The article also said that this breed of mosquitoes bite during the day.

This thread has some useful information, but far too much panic and speculation... Here's some links and information from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/

Information Fact Sheet from the CDC; http://www.cdc.gov/chikungunya/pdfs/CHIKV_FACT%20SHEET_CDC_General%20Public_cleared.pdf

CHIK_Caribbean_Map-061714.jpg

going-to-caribbean-800.jpg

been-in-caribbean-800.jpg

BUT, TO PUT THIS ALL IN PROSPECTIVE... YOUR GREATEST RISK IS TRAVELING TO AND FROM THE SHIP PRIOR TO AND AFTER YOUR VACATION ENDS...

road-safety-8-tips.jpg

Edited by mbjboyle

There is no cure because there is no cure. It makes no difference if it is a fatal illness or not.

Exactly, if there were only "cures" for diseases that are fatal, a lot of pharmaceutical companies would go out of business. Diseases that cause fatalities may get priority attention from researchers but aren't the only ones where research is being done on potential cures. Obviously, precautions should be taken, but there seems to be no reason to panic.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the many suggestions, articles etc posted on this thread

I am a mosquito magnet....even with DEET they were all over me in Belize . Also in an age range where symptoms might be more severe.

From what I have read,..I believe worst infestation is at DR and Port au Prince, Haiti...but they seem to be spreading...

we plan to get off at Labadee and also Montego Bay Jamaica, but will spray and re spray...

Does anyone know if Royal/Celebrity spray area of Labadee?

I am a mosquito magnet....even with DEET they were all over me in Belize . Also in an age range where symptoms might be more severe.

From what I have read,..I believe worst infestation is at DR and Port au Prince, Haiti...but they seem to be spreading...

we plan to get off at Labadee and also Montego Bay Jamaica, but will spray and re spray...

I have never experienced any mosquito bites in Labadee, and I am also very attractive to them. I read a fascinating article about why some people get more bites than others. It has a lot to do with sweating and CO2: they are attracted to both.

I started using this on my ankles and calves during my last two trips:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Ultrathon-Repellent-Hands-Free-SRL-12HF/dp/B002JVB44E/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411221920&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=mosquito+repellent+foam+applicator

By the way, I posted above about spraying our clothes before we left, and that worked great, too.

Edited by pcur

I don't know about any areas being sprayed in Labadee. I do know we have been to Labadee several times this year and quite often many times in other years and have yet to see or been bitten by any mosquitoes.

If your a magnet to mosquitoes, the proper precaution would be to use bug repellent with DEET.