Air Berlin

lauraapp

Look at top of this page for box with Search Cruise Critic, do a search. They are budget arm of one of big airlines, forgot which one.

Actually, Air Berlin is an independent company publicly traded, not a "budget arm" of any carrier.

They do have a large block of stock, roughly 30%, owned by Etihad, but I wouldn't consider that to be making it under Etihad control. Influence yes, control no IMO.

They are cheap but a warning is in place for Norwegian Longhaul due to the problems with their Boeing 787.

Lots of delayed flights, sometimes delayed by more then 24 hours.

That's why I would never use Norwegian when I had to be someplace at a certain time. If I wasn't in a hurry then I would consider them but flexibility isn't always an option.

As I recall they only have 3 Dreamliners which they expect to expand 7 this year. And like Southwest when there's cancellations or lengthy delays passengers are not put on other airlines. Add the US Congress attempting to prevent them from flying to the US & there are just too many complications for me to book Norwegian.

Air Berlin is part of OneWorld & we used AAdvantage miles to book flights to the US. That way if we miss any flights we have more options on other airlines .

Edited by Astro Flyer

I flew from Berlin to Chicago last month and it was a very nice flight. Good airplane, nice food and good service. There were no complaints at all. I would highly recommend them. They are not a bargain airline like Norwegian.

We flew Norwegian within Europe which was fine but everything costs extra and the luggage allotment was 20KG which is less than other airlines. We had to take things out and put them in our carryons. I would fly Norwegian again, even across the Atlantic but learned to not take ANYTHING for granted. We also had to do our own luggage tagging and weighing in CPH which was a new experience. Not bad, probably a sign of the future for all of us. The kiosk printed out our tag, we secured it and then took the bags to scan ourselves. If it was below weight, the luggage just moved along the conveyor belt. If too heavy, you removed it and either paid extra or took things out.

Anyone have experience flying with them I found a good fare flying

from Copenhagen to LAX not sure about service, comfort, etc.

We flew Air Berlin from Chicago to Copenhagen last year. The service and comfort were no different than that of our AA flights to Chicago.

I wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.

Do you have top pay for meals? Seat assignments?

We were in coach and did not have to pay for meals. We also did not have to pay for seat assignments but we were using AA FF miles so YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'm a little late to this thread but just wanted to add that AB is a perfectly legitimate airline in Economy.

PROs:

- Solid economy meals with a proper cold breakfast before arrival at TXL (Berlin) or DUS (Dusseldorf)

- Even serve food on short-haul economy flights within Europe (we got a cheese sandwich)

- Clean, modern planes

- Good IFE vs. American Airlines (AA's 752s and 763s to Europe don't have individual screens and the 772s have looped IFE, only the new 773s have AVOD IFE and it's in the painful 10-across seating in Economy unless you are in Main Cabin Extra)

- Good customer service

- TXL, if you transit there, is one of the most efficient, compact airports I've been to. That being said, if you need shopping or other amenities beyond restrooms, it's probably terrible.

- Part of OneWorld so if you have AA Platinum or Executive Platinum, you'll have access to lounges on your international trips

CONs:

- Legroom is tight

- Recline is minimal vs. airlines like Swiss (LX) in Economy

- Cheaper paid fares earn minimal miles on AA (unlike IB and BA)

Overall, I'd say go for it. On the European short-haul legs, you can also buy-up to the Sansibar premium menu - looks nice but was fine with the free sandwich.

• 3 weeks later...

We flew home from Copenhagen in May on American miles and they were very good. Their seats are larger in economy than American seats. Their food was a little strange, but happy to get some for free flying economy. I would think you will be pleased with their service. They also had really cool back of seat screens with TONS of new movies. I watched 3 on the way back to the US!

We flew home from Copenhagen in May on American miles and they were very good. Their seats are larger in economy than American seats. Their food was a little strange, but happy to get some for free flying economy. I would think you will be pleased with their service. They also had really cool back of seat screens with TONS of new movies. I watched 3 on the way back to the US!

enjoyed reading your review !!

what connections / stops did you have coming from copenhagen ?

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

enjoyed reading your review !!

what connections / stops did you have coming from copenhagen ?

We flew from Copenhagen to Dusseldorf, then to Ft. Myers, FL and then on to DFW! Long flight, but happy to use AA miles to do it! Saved a ton of money too!

We flew from Copenhagen to Dusseldorf, then to Ft. Myers, FL and then on to DFW! Long flight, but happy to use AA miles to do it! Saved a ton of money too!

thanks gwen for your quick response !

we have no miles just a lot of credit cards !!:D

we are really so excited about going to sweden for my

maternal heritage for a week after our TA next year

but am going crazy re the air arrangements !!

checked air berlin which would require 3 flights from stockholm

and close to $4000 for the 2 of us ONE WAY !!!

SAS is only 2 flights - change in chicago - but $3400 !!

and those were economy !!!!!:eek:

am hoping norwegian air gets approved past march for their

non stop flights from stockholm to lax ! amazing low prices !!

otherwise, it will be iceland air - 3 flights - change in iceland

and somewhere in us - more than norwegian but much lower price

than AB or SAS

refuse to cancel our trip but am stressed about those prices

and stops - really love non stop !!!;)

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

Be careful with Norwegian - friend on our TA cruise few them home and hated them. Mainly because of extra charges they were not prepared for. Buy your luggage fees ahead and food too if you plan to eat! They were charged $5 for a cup of coffee!

Be careful with Norwegian - friend on our TA cruise few them home and hated them. Mainly because of extra charges they were not prepared for. Buy your luggage fees ahead and food too if you plan to eat! They were charged $5 for a cup of coffee!

i think that was with their very lowest fare - if you upgrade to econ comfort -

2 seat config. - or whatever it was called these would be included -

we need the extra space anyway

just finished looking at icelandair again - the economy comfort allows

the seat in middle to not be sold so that would be perfect -

jim could have window and i would have aisle w/ more space

flying to nyc was only $935 on econ. but only a little more -

$1500 for 2 of us on comfort deal - nyc to lax on jet blue

(which we use going to ft laud and boston trips) is $404 non stop for 2

but jetblue is only thru april right now so will wait awhile hoping

norwegian opens up - otherwise i'll be satisfied w/ icelandair &

jet blue for total $2000