How lucky are we? (Solo cruise lovers)

cruiseelady

My first solo cruise was also my first transatlantic...I was a little nervous about both of those new things! But I absolutely loved it and here I am two more transatlantics and 4 more solo cruises later in a short time period!

I would though recommend taking a shorter first solo cruise than I did, just in case you don't enjoy it. (I have read on here that there are actually some people who DON'T like solo cruising, hard as it is to believe!) :)

That is what makes all of us so different. I have also read that as well.

For me? (and for you too;)) we love going solo:D but I guess folks

who prefer being around people they know all the time? Or they

have issues being by themselves in general? Even though the ship

would have 2,000 other folks on it (just an example)...they would

not like it........:eek:.......

Being pampered for a week is something I ALWAYS enjoy:) and since

I don't have anyone to cruise with, it is good I love being on my own:D

I did my first solo at the beginning of May this year.I was apprehensive as I walked into checking in but told myself to look confident!!!!I booked a single cabin so even at mustering I was seated with other solos.I requested a solos table for dinner which I got and we had a lot of fun.We used to go to the shows together or a drink or just a chat.sometimes we would meet up while wandering around the port or when we went to watch a film.LOVED it and as soon as I came back booked a 12 nighter for next year!! i could go to bed when I wanted and have a lie down in the day if I wanted ....I only felt lonely the second night as I hadn't really built up a relationship with anyone yet..great fun after that initial blip!!

However...since it is my first time...I am pretty nervous about it...haven't even told my family because they'll probably flip out! So any tips you guys can offer will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Understand -- taking a Caribbean cruise on a modern ship with thousands of other passengers is not exactly the cutting edge of exploration in this century. :)

If you think your family is going to flip out, think about why they might flip and prepare some facts. For example:

• If they think a cruise is dangerous because they heard about the Carnival Miracle (I think) or the Costa Concordia, point out that these are rare occurrances. It's safer than driving on a highway to work. Maybe give them the URL for the bow camera of your ship. (Ask in your Roll Call board, someone will know what it is if there is one.)
  • If they think it is unsafe for you to travel alone, ask them why. Perhaps your ex is not the only person in your life who seems bent on making you doubt yourself because of their own selfish reasons. NOW you know to stop listening to people like that.
  • If they think it is unsafe for ANY woman to travel alone, ask them if they know what century this is. Point out that you've got an entire board full of people, more than half of them women, who cruise solo all the time and don't have any problems that non-solo's don't have.

Now, if there are fears that YOU have, this is the board to ask about them. We have tips and recommendations for any type of thing that you face when traveling solo and can help you feel confident about this.

And welcome to solo cruising! It's really the best -- do what you want when you want or do nothing at all. The vacation is all yours!

I'm taking my first solo cruise on the Queen of the Mississippi in October, New Orleans to Memphis, 7 nights. I am booked in a solo cabin (they have approx. 12) and it's a 150 passenger paddlewheel.

My second solo cruise will be on Dec. 27th, 3 nights on the Caribbean Princess from Ft. Lauderdale. There's a day at a private island and a day at sea.

Both will be very different experiences. The Queen of the Mississippi has a cocktail hour before dinner for passengers and open seating for meals in one dining room, so I think it will be easy to ask to join others and rotate among sitting with different people at dinners.

I'm going to do the Anytime Dining on the Caribbean Princess. It's a short cruise and I don't want a set time to eat. Looking to enjoy the beach, read and relax.

Hello again....

Thank you for the information and advice. Thanks to all of the encouraging information here, I'm going to search for a solo cruise soon. I think I'll find a few cruises I'm interested in taking, then check the roll call threads to make sure there are others I can meet up with should the need arise.

I spoke with both of my children about me cruising solo, and they seem to think it is a good idea, (once I can work through the lonely evenings).

Lois R, thank you for finding that thread for me. It really did help to read through. Really appreciate your effort!

Bonzy49, I'm so sorry for your loss, too. As difficult as this is, I feel better knowing I'm not alone. Thank you for sharing how you are managing, as well.

Understand -- taking a Caribbean cruise on a modern ship with thousands of other passengers is not exactly the cutting edge of exploration in this century. :)

If you think your family is going to flip out, think about why they might flip and prepare some facts. For example:

• If they think a cruise is dangerous because they heard about the Carnival Miracle (I think) or the Costa Concordia, point out that these are rare occurrances. It's safer than driving on a highway to work. Maybe give them the URL for the bow camera of your ship. (Ask in your Roll Call board, someone will know what it is if there is one.)
  • If they think it is unsafe for you to travel alone, ask them why. Perhaps your ex is not the only person in your life who seems bent on making you doubt yourself because of their own selfish reasons. NOW you know to stop listening to people like that.
  • If they think it is unsafe for ANY woman to travel alone, ask them if they know what century this is. Point out that you've got an entire board full of people, more than half of them women, who cruise solo all the time and don't have any problems that non-solo's don't have.

Now, if there are fears that YOU have, this is the board to ask about them. We have tips and recommendations for any type of thing that you face when traveling solo and can help you feel confident about this.

And welcome to solo cruising! It's really the best -- do what you want when you want or do nothing at all. The vacation is all yours!

this is a really thoughtful post, well done.

the part that stood out for me was about people thinking its unsafe for a woman to travel alone. my first solo booking was Egypt and I chose a cruise because it seemed the safest for a woman traveling to that part of the world alone!

I love to cruise, my friends do not or rather haven't tried and think they won't like it. I want to see the world, so I'm seeing it.

meauxmum, I am sorry for the passing of your husband. don't be worried about the lonely evenings. there is a lot to do if you choose. the hardest part may be going back to the cabin and being alone as you are used to your husband being there. are there things that comfort you at home? take/do those things on board as well. if you find a port-intensive itinerary you will fall into bed exhausted each night.

tours are also difficult. my first thought is 'I wish so-and-so was here to see this with me'. it gets so much easier the more you do it. its like that year of firsts alone. once you do it you know you can do it again.

best of luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, co-critics, I did it. I found a cruise out of New Orleans (close to home) in August. I have to admit that I'm certainly nervous; but my heart is telling me this is a good start to the healing I need. I've joined the group on Facebook and I am looking forward to meeting others and making some new friends. Thank you for all of your encouragement!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy for you!

I think this is one of those instances where once done, you will feel so good about yourself. you are braver than you think! congratulations on this first big step. and you don't have long to wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be taking my first solo cruise next year on Princess in French Polynesia. I am SO excited. I've always cruised with others and could find no one interested in this 10 night cruise. I've always wanted to visit FP. And I am also doing a land vacation prior to the cruise.

I don't think going solo will be an issue for me at all. I'm comfortable with only myself as company! If I meet some people, great..if not, no worries!!!

My kids are all grown and living on their own, so it's jillytime!