Beware over 18 allowed in O2 club

jenndun

We were on the Magic earlier this month. Had a great cruise. My 15 year old had a blast with the O2 club. Made friends that she is still talking to. I never worried much since it was 15-17 in O2 club and supposedly supervised. I found out last night that one of the boys she meet in the club and was still texting and talking to was actually turning 20 soon. I asked where on the ship she meet him and she explained that he was in the O2 club every day hanging out with them. He told them he didn't like people his own age so he'd go hang out with them. According to her there was another guy the same age hanging out part time in there with them. The scary thing is he is supposedly dating another 15 year old he meet on the cruise and making plans with her to go see her. My daughter decided to tell me about it when she found out the other girl she meet and talks to daily is dating him and planing on meeting up with him as soon as she can. It's very scary to think about. I just wanted to let everyone know our experience so your not as trusting of the O2 club as I was. I should have been more aware of the ages of the kids my daughter was hanging out with. I'm not sure what carnival's policy is on age limits or how they enforce it but it was not enforced on our cruise.

We were on the Magic earlier this month. Had a great cruise. My 15 year old had a blast with the O2 club. Made friends that she is still talking to. I never worried much since it was 15-17 in O2 club and supposedly supervised. I found out last night that one of the boys she meet in the club and was still texting and talking to was actually turning 20 soon. I asked where on the ship she meet him and she explained that he was in the O2 club every day hanging out with them. He told them he didn't like people his own age so he'd go hang out with them. According to her there was another guy the same age hanging out part time in there with them. The scary thing is he is supposedly dating another 15 year old he meet on the cruise and making plans with her to go see her. My daughter decided to tell me about it when she found out the other girl she meet and talks to daily is dating him and planing on meeting up with him as soon as she can. It's very scary to think about. I just wanted to let everyone know our experience so your not as trusting of the O2 club as I was. I should have been more aware of the ages of the kids my daughter was hanging out with. I'm not sure what carnival's policy is on age limits or how they enforce it but it was not enforced on our cruise.

:eek: I'm not a parent yet, but this is very good to keep in mind. Thank you for sharing.

jenndun, is there any way your daughter has this other girls' information; home town, etc. You need to try and contact her parents before something happens. I'm not sure if you can do this but you have to try.

My sister and I are the Safe Coordinators for our church parish. We teach adults and volunteers at our school and church how to recognize signs of child abuse or potential child abuse. One of the things we tell them to be on the lookout is exactly what your daughter just described; an older adult contacting younger kids, via text messaging, and trying to get them to meet up with them.

Please try.

..Don't panic. They will sometimes allow 18yo boys and girls into the club if they are still in High School. Had this same exact situation happen with my daughter three years ago when she was 17. One of the boys in the group told them he was turning 20 "in a few months." Saw the group hanging out on might and I asked him directly how old he was. Daughter was mortified!

...He looked me in the eye and said "I'm 18, Sir." My daughter looked at him and said "I thought you were almost 20!." He replied "I will be 20... in 2 years!"

...Carnival has records of all the B/Cs and passports. The liability would be too great if something would happen. I'm guessing this guy was just telling your daughter a story.

I'm sure he was not lying. She said she saw his drivers license and college id when I asked how sure she was that he was older. They were all showing off their new drivers permits and he showed his license and id. Also According to her he didn't have the O2 sticker and the times they were checking cards he went out the arcade doors before he was carded so he'd didn't get caught in there.

I was never asked for anything when I took my daughter down to sign up. I didn't turn in any paperwork and was never asked for it. This was on the second day. The guy just looked at her and handed her a sticker to put on her card and told her she was in the right area. Never even asked her name. I should have realized then there wasn't anyone checking.

..Don't panic. They will sometimes allow 18yo boys and girls into the club if they are still in High School. Had this same exact situation happen with my daughter three years ago when she was 17. One of the boys in the group told them he was turning 20 "in a few months." Saw the group hanging out on might and I asked him directly how old he was. Daughter was mortified!

...He looked me in the eye and said "I'm 18, Sir." My daughter looked at him and said "I thought you were almost 20!." He replied "I will be 20... in 2 years!"

...Carnival has records of all the B/Cs and passports. The liability would be too great if something would happen. I'm guessing this guy was just telling your daughter a story.

Edited by jenndun

I wish there was. I looked for a fb page for them but I'm not finding anything and I have very little information on her. It is very scary.

jenndun, is there any way your daughter has this other girls' information; home town, etc. You need to try and contact her parents before something happens. I'm not sure if you can do this but you have to try.

My sister and I are the Safe Coordinators for our church parish. We teach adults and volunteers at our school and church how to recognize signs of child abuse or potential child abuse. One of the things we tell them to be on the lookout is exactly what your daughter just described; an older adult contacting younger kids, via text messaging, and trying to get them to meet up with them.

Please try.

God forbid they ever let High School kids this age go to school together.

I'd pull my kid out for sure. 20-year olds are scumbag devils. They should all be put down (like a wounded horse) to save our society before it's too late.

I wish there was. I looked for a fb page for them but I'm not finding anything and I have very little information on her. It is very scary.

What method is your daughter using to talk to the girl? If they're texting I'd get the phone number and call repeatedly asking for one of her parents until she put them on the phone. That's what I would want someone to do if it was my daughter.

What method is your daughter using to talk to the girl? If they're texting I'd get the phone number and call repeatedly asking for one of her parents until she put them on the phone. That's what I would want someone to do if it was my daughter.

I agree with this poster, but instead of demanding to talk to her parents, tell her that you are so happy that she and your daughter have become such good friends and ask if you can talk to her parents to try and arrange another cruise together so the girls can hang out. Maybe she would happily give the phone to one of her parents if she thought she was getting something out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has a great great chance of being an exaggeration by the 15 year old too...

I'd pull my kid out for sure. 20-year olds are scumbag devils. They should all be put down (like a wounded horse) to save our society before it's too late.

I think you two are thinking along the same lines I am.

Ha ha ha! My daughter will be 17 going to college in a year so she'll be hanging out with young people much older. I trust her to make the right decisions and be smart!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They met on the ship. They've been texting and talking on the phone. He asked her to be his girlfriend while talking to here after they got off the ship. She's 15 doesn't know better. He's making plans to drive to her state and see her. They are not from the same location. He has a car and is going to drive the seven hours to see her. She's a teenager. Doesn't know better. I've read the text message between her and my daughter. It's sad but the girl has never had a boyfriend before and thinks she's in love with this boys. Doesn't make sense to an adult but to a 15 year old it makes perfect sense.

Believe it or don't that's your choice. I just wanted to warn people that they don't really control who comes into the O2 club. I don't know that this is the case on every ship but it's what happened here.

parts of the first post doesn't make sense. The girl is "dating" the older male. When? Later says she's meeting him. Another question. What are the odds of 2 people meeting and being from the same general locale?

They met on the ship. They've been texting and talking on the phone. He asked her to be his girlfriend while talking to here after they got off the ship. She's 15 doesn't know better. He's making plans to drive to her state and see her. They are not from the same location. He has a car and is going to drive the seven hours to see her. She's a teenager. Doesn't know better. I've read the text message between her and my daughter. It's sad but the girl has never had a boyfriend before and thinks she's in love with this boys. Doesn't make sense to an adult but to a 15 year old it makes perfect sense.

Believe it or don't that's your choice. I just wanted to warn people that they don't really control who comes into the O2 club. I don't know that this is the case on every ship but it's what happened here.

Having gone through the teenage years with 4 kids (THANK GOD THEY ARE OVER) I know there are a lot of creeps that prey on teenage girls. And I also know there are teenage girls with pretty vivid imaginations and fantasy worlds. BOTH can be scary and lead to a lot of trouble

Hahaha

A voice of reason.

You make it sound like a 20 year old is a deviant sexual predator looking for much younger kids to prey on. My goodness, my son is 20 and is still a kid in my eyes. The difference between 15 and 20 will only seem huge until she is 20 and he is 25. Not that they should date, but there is some over dramatization going on here.

Look at it this way, 20 is too young to drink and probably has no income to gamble, on vacation with mom and dad and nothing to do, so checks out the "teen" club because not long ago he actually was a teen.

Geez, I better not tell the age difference between my husband and myself, the shock value may be too much to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Wow! We were on the Dream for our first cruise and our 17 year old left his S&S card in our room. He was at Club O2 and they would even let us, his parents go in, but somehow two 20 year olds were able to circumvent the rules?

Our oldest is now 20-and I hardly consider him the scourge of the earth.

If you're worried about this relationship, do something about it

Exactly. Don't let these people talk you out of doing something about it and being aware of the O2 realities. I'm happy to know to have a conversation with my teen daughter before the next cruise.

Good grief I'm not sure I can stomach the arguing on the Carnival boards...my last cruise was on MSC so I had a break from the nastiness and arguing over here.

I agree with this poster, but instead of demanding to talk to her parents, tell her that you are so happy that she and your daughter have become such good friends and ask if you can talk to her parents to try and arrange another cruise together so the girls can hang out. Maybe she would happily give the phone to one of her parents if she thought she was getting something out of it.

Good idea...because lying always makes the situation better.

I must be missing something and since I'm bored tonight-where's the arguing and nastiness?

Here's the thing in this situation-I've seen lots if boys and girls on cruises lie about their age. Fake ID's are atill around and since we weren't there all we have is what the OP said.

Warning people here-what is that going to do? If one is a vigilant parent they don't need a warning as they are going to talk to their children beforehand regardless if what someone says on a forum. If they are not as vigilant this warning will do nothing because they are not affected.

If she is looking for justification for her concern, she shouldn't need that as she knows what the deal is we do not

Yup. And for not being allowed in the kids club as a parent. I ignored their policy, walked right in and had myself a good look around that the workers and the kids. When I was satisfied, I left. This was right when they were first gathering up so I was no interfering with anything.

Hahaha

A voice of reason.

You make it sound like a 20 year old is a deviant sexual predator looking for much younger kids to prey on. My goodness, my son is 20 and is still a kid in my eyes. The difference between 15 and 20 will only seem huge until she is 20 and he is 25. Not that they should date, but there is some over dramatization going on here.

Look at it this way, 20 is too young to drink and probably has no income to gamble, on vacation with mom and dad and nothing to do, so checks out the "teen" club because not long ago he actually was a teen.

Geez, I better not tell the age difference between my husband and myself, the shock value may be too much to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'm doubting the 02 thing, a 20 y.o. doesn't usually backtrack to think about his teen years. If he's from another state, that's truly scarey that he isn't hanging out with his friends. Instead he's driving to see an under age girl?