Give me your best advice for "Newbies"

...In the WJ to take all you want, but eat all you take.
While I hate waste, I'll make an exception if you take a small amount of something to taste, discover you really don't like it, and leave the remaining small amount. This comes from a charter member of the clean plate club (although I never did understand the connection my parents made to those starving children in India [or was it China]:confused:).

Thom

I honestly didn't know about the volume knob on the ceiling so will look for it next year on the SOS. If you have an IPad or phone, set up a daily planner if you would like to keep track of your tours etc. I always bring a folder, but would love to eliminate all the paperwork, so hoping to use my ipad more.

Aside from the cruise experience itself is the ability to interact with new people (cruisers, staff and portside) that you might not otherwise get on a typical vacation, for both the adults and kids, in particular:

- recommend they ask for an any size or large table in the MDR, so they can talk with other parties.

- get to know names of waiters, room stewards and any other favorite staff, ask them where they are from, and any questions you may have about what is going on or what they would recommend, but do keep in mind when they may be time-constrained (room service waiters seldom stop and chat!).

- Encourage your kids to hang out and make friends in the kids club. As a parent, you will likely have to learn to be a bit looser as you let the kids participate in on-board activities without you.

- Also talk to folks on-shore, ask about the strangest guest request, other good stores to go to, how they got started, etc. You will get some interesting perspectives!

- Ask and offer to be a picture taker/subject and strike up the where you are from/what have you done conversations with the other party

And I always recommend (in addition to a lot of the things mentioned)

- Just agree in advance to meet as a group one to a few times a day or to leave notes with updates just to keep in touch if relevant.

- take a waterproof/shockproof camera if possible, so you can record events without worry.

- take a looseleaf binder with transparent pocket folders inside you can save cruise compasses and other paper given out to help you remember EVERYTHING on the cruise.

- plenty of protective stuff (suntan lotion, seasickness, bandaids) even if not all used so you don't worry about not having

- Try to avoid the internet and the world back home if possible....

- Get travel insurance.

- Don't rush the travel and do short connections to get to the cruise.

And to you their cruise expert

- print them an EDITED version of this thread customized to them,

- print/edit a few of the shorter reviews from the reviews web page (not forums) that you think would be good to give them perspective

- Let them know norovirus (practice common sense precautions anyway), hurricanes, and engine failures are rare.

- and give them your memories of first time cruising!

good stuff...my friend watches way too much CNN .. she is scared of Mexico, Noro, and other such things that the media likes to harp on :rolleyes:

You can go crazy trying to stay ahead of all the possible germs you may come in contact with while onboard (for that matter even on land).

I do nothing extravagant -- I just wash my hands and use the antibacterial gels that are outside the dining facilities.....and use common sense the rest of the time.

I am rarely sick at home, and have never gotten sick onboard. If you come down with things at home easily, then perhaps you have to be more careful and take more targeted precautions.

Yes, I would agree with the germs you may come in contact with at home or on a ship or hotel for that matter. Because the OP mentioned that her friend watches too much CNN with norvo etc I thought perhaps use of wipe might alleviate her fears and make a more enjoyable experience for her. Just passing on information I found on CC!

On our very first (and last), very cheap, on a very small ship around the Carribean in mid/late February, the Captain announced that he was expecting a rather rough evening and for anyone who might be prone to seasickness to visit the nurse who could give an injection to help. That was the best piece of advice that we ignored!! We opted for the pills and they knocked us out for 20 hours!! The drinks package on that cruise wasn't very cost effective - 2 cocktails over the course of a week!!!

I've been told that this wasn't 'normal' and have been promised that our second cruise (next week) will be completely different!!!

If you find a bar you like and think you will be spending a lot of time there, give a generous tip up front, and you will never wait for a drink!

And as people have already said, get to know these people and treat them as people, and they will look after you

Try to keep the feeling you had walking onto the ship on embarkation day, for the entire cruise.

If you CAN, you will have the best time possible.....because it is that sense of adventure and newness that is MAGNIFICENT.

As I get ready for cruise #15, I can recall that first time I stepped onto that first cruise ship, Navigator.....it is what makes the time between cruises go quickly -- as I plan for the next one.

I recommend starting every day with some gym time. Even when I was overweight and out of shape, I did stretching in my cabin, walked to the gym, avoided taking elevators and did the stationary bike and treadmill at the on board gym, starting with fifteen minutes and working up from there. It helped give me energy, controlled my appetite and made my cruise better. I typically lose an average of five to ten pounds, unheard of on a cruise. Now that I'm healthier and in better shape (but not a gym rat as I never go while home), walking the cruise ship stairs, avoiding elevators (and waiting time for them!), drinking lots of bottled water and using the gym for 30-40 minutes each morning before breakfast, controlled my blood sugar, regulated my mood, gave me energy and lost me ten pounds on my January 2014 8-day cruise. I also met a lot of fun people. My other advice for newbie cruisers is relax and if you make an on board jewelry purchase (ie watch) ask about the warranty and get it in writing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by Nisky18

Pack your case and then take everything out and only put half back (saves lugging a case back half full of clothes you have not worn and saves on excess baggage charges!)

Only eat salad at lunchtimes, especially if you have had a large cooked breakfast

Walk a mile around the deck first thing in the morning ( makes more room for the cooked breakfast)

Dont buy bottled water, ships water is better than tap water at home and free ( available by the glass in all restaurants/cafe's and bars ) it even tastes like Evian!

Make new friends

Try something new each day

Most of all relax- you're on holiday!

Kevin

I recommend starting every day with some gym time. Even when I was overweight and out of shape, I did stretching in my cabin, walked to the gym, avoided taking elevators and did the stationary bike and treadmill at the on board gym, starting with fifteen minutes and working up from there. It helped give me energy, controlled my appetite and made my cruise better. I typically lose an average of five to ten pounds, unheard of on a cruise. Now that I'm healthier and in better shape (but not a gym rat as I never go while home), walking the cruise ship stairs, avoiding elevators (and waiting time for them!), drinking lots of bottled water and using the gym for 30-40 minutes each morning before breakfast, controlled my blood sugar, regulated my mood, gave me energy and lost me ten pounds on my January 2014 8-day cruise. I also met a lot of fun people. My other advice for newbie cruisers is relax and if you make an on board jewelry purchase (ie watch) ask about the warranty and get it in writing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

A cruise is a great way to start a gym routine. It is easily accessible; has lots of different things to try....add walking around the ship all the time and it will all help you 'work off the calories you eat'. Now that doesn't mean to eat more, just to do it.....that is foolish. But you will feel better and at the end of the cruise, maybe even continue what you have started -- guilt free.

bring along a lightweight T-shirt to wear while you snorkel as well as making sure that you slather the backs of arms and legs with sunscreen! You will be hypnotized by the undersea world and may forget how long you've been bobbing around with your back, legs and arms exposed. I have done this religiously since finding out the hard way on my first cruise!

I posted this on a different thread but thought is was worth repeating here!

If you find a bar you like and think you will be spending a lot of time there, give a generous tip up front, and you will never wait for a drink!

That worked for me on my last cruise, good service and very nice drinks! When I was going to have a couple of drinks I would head to MY particular bar and bartender no matter where I was on the ship. Gave him a few more tips during the week in addition to the one on the first day. When I would walk up he would call me by name and we became like friends! :cool:

Edited by bigque

bring along a lightweight T-shirt to wear while you snorkel as well as making sure that you slather the backs of arms and legs with sunscreen! You will be hypnotized by the undersea world and may forget how long you've been bobbing around with your back, legs and arms exposed. I have done this religiously since finding out the hard way on my first cruise!

I posted this on a different thread but thought is was worth repeating here!

Very good advice.....it has never happened to me, but I have seen the results of not doing what you suggest to others....it makes for a very uncomfortable few days, if you get a severe sunburn on your back and the back of the legs. Good way to prevent it.

While I hate waste, I'll make an exception if you take a small amount of something to taste, discover you really don't like it, and leave the remaining small amount. This comes from a charter member of the clean plate club (although I never did understand the connection my parents made to those starving children in India [or was it China]:confused:).

Thom

I think is was Africa ;) I do the same thing. I use the buffet to try new things. I take a small bit to taste and if I like it I return for more. However, if I don't like it, I will leave it on the plate.

This may sound like a germaphobe but I take packets of Lysol or Clorox wipes and wipe down the cabin doorknobs, remote control, phone etc. I also bring a travel size spray Lysol. It works for us!!

Don't forget about the light switches, bathrooms, shower door handles, faucets, toilet handle, balcony chairs, and the pulls for the drawers/closet. :D

I know it's a bit much and I am not a major germaphobe at home. However, after all the headlines about Noro, I did not want to take a chance on our honeymoon in 2011. We were on a cruise that was full of Noro and we did not get sick. Hand sani, Hand sani, and more Hand sani.

Don't forget about the light switches, bathrooms, shower door handles, faucets, toilet handle, balcony chairs, and the pulls for the drawers/closet. :D

I know it's a bit much and I am not a major germaphobe at home. However, after all the headlines about Noro, I did not want to take a chance on our honeymoon in 2011. We were on a cruise that was full of Noro and we did not get sick. Hand sani, Hand sani, and more Hand sani.

Noro is short of Norovirus. It is a virus. Your typical hand sani is alcohol based and not kill norovirus.

I wouldn't expect hand sanitizer and simple wipes to protect you from Noro. Way, way, way too many places to catch a bug on a boat. When they sanitize the boat after an outbreak, they don't break out bottles of hand sanitizer. Its much more complicated to kill noro.

Edited by shellunderwater

Noro is short of Norovirus. It is a virus. Your typical hand sani is alcohol based and not kill norovirus.

I wouldn't expect hand sanitizer and simple wipes to protect you from Noro. Way, way, way too many places to catch a bug on a boat. When they sanitize the boat after an outbreak, they don't break out bottles of hand sanitizer. Its much more complicated to kill noro.

It might not have any scientific basis but it worked for us. These steps were in addition to the basic common sense methods such as multiple hand washing stops during the day and avoiding the handrails. The moral of my story was that a little bit of extra cleaning helps. I am sure we all have seen the special reports about the "nastiness" that is found in hotel rooms. I know I killed something in that room with all my wiping...LOL :D

Edited by Mickeygrl71

Have fun! As long as it doesn't bother others, act as funny , crazy or silly as you want as you will probably never see the people on the ship again. Meet new people and ask questions ,even if they seem stupid, to get info. We have met so many interesting people and have fun talking with our servers in the dining room. We never do anytime dining bc we enjoy getting to know our servers and have had great service and tip them well.