Is 11:50 flight out of LGB doable?

HawksFan74

DW, DD, and I will on the Miracle, returning to Long Beach on Nov 8. The itenerary lists the arrival time as 9:00 am. I've been looking at an Alaska Airlines flight departing LGB airport at 11:50 am, nonstop to SEA. The o/w fare for this flight just dropped to $80 today, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but I just want to make sure we will have enough time to make the flight? We could take a later flight out of LGB or LAX, but it will cost an extra $29-39 pp.

When we returned from out Mexican Riviera cruise on princess, i'm pretty sure we had a similar flight time. We actually were within minutes of catching the flight before. I think that was before 10.

If you can do early self assist walk off, should be fine. And definitely go for the cab or some other private transport.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It is possible under normal conditions, but be aware that we sometimes have fog that closes the port in the mornings and ships are late coming in. Also, the CBP sometimes doesn't assign enough officers and the lines go really slow. The question to ask is what will you do if you don't make your flight. Will the airline allow you to switch to a later flight? What if they are full? Are you prepared for the consequences of not making your flight?

Enjoy,

Ron

p.s. I've taken a number of cruises out of LB/LA and I have been off the ship as early as 7:00 and as late as 11:00 and I have priority departure.

Well, hopefully the conditions will be "normal." I bought the tickets last night and managed to snag the last 3 seats at that price. Now, I just have to book flights for the outbound leg. I'm pretty sure we will be flying in the day before the cruise, but the decent hotels around the port area are all $200+. Any chance the hotel prices will come down between now and November?

Since Long Beach is a year round port for Carnival, and it is Calif., don't count on hotel price drops. There is always a possibility that you may catch a deal, but you have to be proactive and always check. Joining a hotel club or AAA may get you some reductions, but probably not a lot.

As you know, Seattle hotels are outrageous in the summer, but we have a very short cruise season, so they will charge a premium, because they can get it.

Now, I just have to book flights for the outbound leg. I'm pretty sure we will be flying in the day before the cruise, but the decent hotels around the port area are all $200+. Any chance the hotel prices will come down between now and November?

Have you considered staying near Long Beach Airport? It's less expensive (Marriott brand is around 140-150)

Well, hopefully the conditions will be "normal." I bought the tickets last night and managed to snag the last 3 seats at that price. Now, I just have to book flights for the outbound leg. I'm pretty sure we will be flying in the day before the cruise, but the decent hotels around the port area are all $200+. Any chance the hotel prices will come down between now and November?

Did you try Hotel Maya? There is a corporate code mentioned in several recent threads.

Be careful of cheap prices in Long Beach. There are some interesting areas. Some hotels rent by the hour or month.

Look into the Queen Mary. The ship/hotel is right next door to the Carnival terminal. You can walk to the terminal.

Enjoy your cruise!

Valerie

• 3 weeks later...

OK, now I might have a problem. It appears that Alaska has moved up the flight time by 40 minutes. It's now showing an 11:10 departure time! I think this new time is going to be too close for comfort. The only other flight from LGB to SEA that day is at 5:55 pm, or I could try for the 1:00 pm out of LAX. I don't think there would be a change fee involved, but I'm assuming they'll make me pay the fare difference, which will likely be at least $29 pp. Ugh.

Also check Orange County (SNA)....quite a few nonstops and connections to SEA on AS. The travel time is roughly the same from Carnival to either LAX or SNA, so it comes down to schedule and fare. SNA is far easier and faster from curbside to gate than LAX. Sometimes SNA is a good deal, other times fares are horrific.

OK, now I might have a problem. It appears that Alaska has moved up the flight time by 40 minutes. It's now showing an 11:10 departure time! I think this new time is going to be too close for comfort. The only other flight from LGB to SEA that day is at 5:55 pm, or I could try for the 1:00 pm out of LAX. I don't think there would be a change fee involved, but I'm assuming they'll make me pay the fare difference, which will likely be at least $29 pp. Ugh.

This happens all the time.

Go with the 1:00 PM flight.

Explain to them that you would not have purchased the ticket in the first place had the flight originally been at 11:10 AM because that would not have been doable for you. I am sure they will put you on another flight.

Keith