Canadian Money for Halifax

DarCrav

We're taking the Independence Day Cruise and will be visiting Halifax. I was wondering if we should bring Canadian money with us or if we can purchase some on the ship?
You'll get a much better rate by dealing with your local bank.

We've been to Halifax several times, and found that US dollars are not only accepted and appreciated, but we have been given the difference in currency between USD and Canadian dollars when making a purchase in Halifax, which was surprising since we didn't know that was the local practice. We used Amex Card for larger purchases, and found that worked well too. So, just my personal experience, but there is no cause for worry about currency conversion when using USD in Halifax.

Bon voyage! Hope you have a wonderful holiday on QM2 - happy 4th! -S.

The stores in Halifax are happy to accept US dollars. They will however have to give you change back in Cdn. It's maybe easier to use your credit cards.

Do NOT exchange money onboard the ship, the rates are never very good.

If you are worried, just buy some Canadian dollars from your bank before you leave home.

When traveling internationally and using ATMs make sure you are using a BANK ATM, not a private one. Bank ATMs will have much better rates.

Check your credit cards to see which one offers the best overseas exchange policy.

We are visiting Halifax at the end of August and I plan on buyin' me some steaming hot lobster with a chase card that has no charges for international transactions. May even have them add on an extra order of drawn butter ; -)