Istambul for a first timer.

Cornishpastyman, Your videos are outstanding. If you are not a professional you should be!

I spent a week in Istanbul last October and loved the city so these videos really brought it back to me and then some.

Thank you:D

PS: Love St. Ives, too! One of the most picturesque spots in England.

Edited by ptrpanpens

Cornishpastyman, Your videos are outstanding. If you are not a professional you should be!

I spent a week in Istanbul last October and loved the city so these videos really brought it back to me and then some.

Thank you:D

PS: Love St. Ives, too! One of the most picturesque spots in England.

Hello Anne

Thanks, but the videos are just a bit of fun to help me remember where I've been - especially on cruises where we see so many great things in such a short space of time. I try and do one for wherever I go. I thought Istanbul was fantastic, how lovely to have had a whole week there as opposed to my rushed 24 hours. I'm glad you liked St Ives, I know I am lucky to live here. All the best, Tony

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

Thanks for posting the informative videos. We will be in Instabul the first week of March on a Mon. and Tues. Is it necessary to pre-book Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace or the Basilica Cisterna?

It used to be possible to pre-purchase tickets for Haghia Sophia and Topkapi, but the system has been fairly nonfunctional for the last six months or so. However, I just went to look at it now and it looks as if it MAY be possible to get tickets again (if you can navigate in Turkish...)

https://www.muze.gov.tr/buy_e_ticket

Go to the bottom left and select E-bilet (E-ticket). This takes you to an order form. Go to the drop-down menu at the bottom of the form, and you can select the site you want: Ayasofya Musezi (Haghia Sophia); Topkapi Sarayi Musezi (Topkapi Palace), etc.

If you can't figure it out or don't want to try, it's not SO terrible to stand in line and purchase tickets when you get there, especially as you'll be there before the real tourist season gets underway. Do be sure to check the hours at that time of year as they may close earlier than in summer.

TAKE NOTE: Haghia Sophia is closed on Mondays and Topkapi is closed on Tuesdays.

CORNISHMAN,

Your videos are incredible. I loved them all, but especially the ladies beach one from Kudasai. What fun your family was having! I'm glad the little girl did not go flying off.

In Istanbul did you hire a tour guide? I'm having trouble selecting one, would love some recommendations. Thanks again, I will be studying the videos.

Nel

CORNISHMAN,

Your videos are incredible. I loved them all, but especially the ladies beach one from Kudasai. What fun your family was having! I'm glad the little girl did not go flying off.

In Istanbul did you hire a tour guide? I'm having trouble selecting one, would love some recommendations. Thanks again, I will be studying the videos.

Nel

Hello Nel

Thanks for your very kind words. I had forgotten about Ladies Beach. I wanted to go back to Ephesus but the rest of my family wanted/needed a beach day so that was that. But it was a lovely day on a very intensive cruise. I think it was a 15TL taxi each way back in 2012.

We docked in Istanbul at 4 pm on a Monday, leaving exactly 24 hours later. As Topkapi is closed on Tuesdays our only chance of seeing it was as soon as we arrived, and having no prior knowledge of Istanbul we decided to hire a guide.. Time was always going to be tight and a guide can walk past the lines for tickets as well as show us the quickest way there. We used Kagan Kosagan (of Kosagan Tours) and he was excellent, meeting us at the dock and riding the trams to Sultanahmet.

We were fairly well researched and knew a lot of what Kagan told us, but of course you can't beat having an expert like that with you for a greater insight and those questions you think of as you go along.

For the following day, having seen the lie of the land the previous evening, we thought that we would know enough to get to all the other major sites and so it proved. Istanbul is simple to walk around, with a very easy, efficient tram network if you don't want to walk, so we got up early and did as much as we could. Again we were well-researched and bought HS tickets in advance to beat the lines. You will have the most wonderful time in this phenomenally-fascinating city. All the best, Tony

Did anyone eat on the bread and fish boats near the Spice Market? They look brightly colored, fun and reasonable. They are by the end of the bridge that ends up in the old part of Istanbul.

After reading about Rustem Pasha (or Pasa) mosque near the Spice Market, I am interested in that.

Watch out for Monday (and Sunday) closings. Also I found a site for locating the times of prayers in Istanbul mosques - handy for anticipting mosque closures (to tourists) while prayer goes on. In general, it sounds like mid-morning and mid-afternoon are "safe" times to visit, both in Jan. and October at least! It varies a bit...

I'm planning to do the funicular in the new town.

Thanks for the info on the Bosphorus cruises. Someone on our upcoming cruise is disappointed that a free land excursion has been replaced with a free Bosphorus excursion but to me, it sounds great. If we do that, we'll see some of the sights already mentioned - although just by water!

Does anyone know if there's still a light and music show at dusk outside the Blue Mosque? That's not important for me to see, but it might be fun. However, I haven't seen much about it.

Agree that Steves' book is excellent.

Did anyone eat on the bread and fish boats near the Spice Market? They look brightly colored, fun and reasonable. They are by the end of the bridge that ends up in the old part of Istanbul.

After reading about Rustem Pasha (or Pasa) mosque near the Spice Market, I am interested in that.

Watch out for Monday (and Sunday) closings. Also I found a site for locating the times of prayers in Istanbul mosques - handy for anticipting mosque closures (to tourists) while prayer goes on. In general, it sounds like mid-morning and mid-afternoon are "safe" times to visit, both in Jan. and October at least! It varies a bit...

I'm planning to do the funicular in the new town.

Thanks for the info on the Bosphorus cruises. Someone on our upcoming cruise is disappointed that a free land excursion has been replaced with a free Bosphorus excursion but to me, it sounds great. If we do that, we'll see some of the sights already mentioned - although just by water!

Does anyone know if there's still a light and music show at dusk outside the Blue Mosque? That's not important for me to see, but it might be fun. However, I haven't seen much about it.

Agree that Steves' book is excellent.

Rustem Pasha was my favorite mosque, out of the eight I visited. Dont miss it!

I did not eat at the fish boats but heard that there are many small bones inside the fish, so keep that in mind. I heard the fish was tasty and it looked and smelled good but I dont like bones so I passed it up.

You can take a boat from Eminonou pier to Kadikoy on the Asian side for $2.00 approx each way and the views back to the pier are gorgeous. Well worth it.There is a large interesting market on the other side which is alot of fun to wander around in with great food.

I was there for a week and hired three different guides, all of which were excellent. One took me to the Balat District, Chora Church, and we ate at Asitane, fabulous Ottoman cuisine. This is also the area of the original walls and several important Byzantine structures but out of the way and hard to do on your own. We also had a day tour with Lale Kosagan, Kagan's wife. She was outstanding not only for the historical information, but to give you a taste of personal insight into the religion and customs. Guides cannot be beat by any DIY guidebook or audio, IMO, so I highly recommend hiring one for at least a day. They are not expensive compared to other countries.

My hotel, the Sirkecki Mansion, included several fantastic private tours, free for guests. Included are tours through the back streets of Sultanhamet, which tourists do not see, and a trip to the Greek District of Fener and the Mosque of Mehmed the Great, also out of the way of the normal tourist areas. You get to walk through a huge Turkish market, and try various foods, including freshly baked simit rolls and delicious ice cream. They also do a food tour and a cooking class, as well as wine and cheese tasting. I highly recommend this hotel if you have time to take advantage of the tours and even if you don't.:)

If you take the Bosphorus cruise, you may be able to disembark at Ortakoy and if you do, I highly recommend trying one of the huge delicious baked potatoes there.

And dont miss the rainbow steps across from the terminal where the ship docks. Very picturesque and wonderful if you are a cat lover, as I am. Lots of cats everywhere in Turkey, I took over 100 photos and made them into a nice calendar. And be sure to go up to the top of the Galata Tower for the excellent views of Istanbul and the Golden Horn.

There is just so much to do in this city it is amazing. I am planning another extended visit to see all the places I missed.:D