What's the best deal you ever got - Alaska in Sept?

DebInTN

Hubby & I decided that we weren't going to do a "real" vacation this year, but I've been thinking that if we (I - :D) come across a great deal on Alaska cruise at end of season, maybe we can take advantage of it. I'd want a balcony - don't think he would even consider it if there isn't a balcony cabin. Anybody had luck scoring a great deal?

I found that even though the cruise doesn't cost a ton when you add in all the extras it balloons up pretty nicely... just sayin!

You actually don't have to add any extras..our first cruise to Alaska we didn't do "any" excursions..and still had a wonderful time just enjoying the scenery and walking the ports..after all you're in Alaska on a cruise...just sayin ;)

Found Alaska in Sept. too damp, dark, and cool, I would not advise it. IMO, a balcony in the first part of May is as good a bargain as you would get if you are booking more than three months in advance.

john

We love Alaska in September! We will soon be doing our third AK September cruise this year. On the first one, we had sunburn weather in all ports. We had fabulous weather last year, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We love Alaska in September! We will soon be doing our third AK September cruise this year. On the first one, we had sunburn weather in all ports. We had fabulous weather last year, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You've been very lucky with your weather. I've sailed several times in that timeframe and had some horrific weather. Worse about the timeframe is the significant lack of daylight, which scenic sailing is a priority for me. I've only picked up these cruises when they were significantly price dumped, never paying over $399+ and always as "extra" Alaska cruises.

Hubby & I decided that we weren't going to do a "real" vacation this year, but I've been thinking that if we (I - :D) come across a great deal on Alaska cruise at end of season, maybe we can take advantage of it. I'd want a balcony - don't think he would even consider it if there isn't a balcony cabin. Anybody had luck scoring a great deal?

NCL had excellent rates for some July sailings last week. :)

Just keep track of pricing and see what comes up. You will have to make some quick decisions, which I've done many times. No big deal for me, but I go cheap, in inside cabins, so don't care where I end up.

Same for us. We had great weather for our previous two September cruises and will be going back on the 6 September Golden Princess cruise this year. Rainy weather really wouldn't bother us much though. We live in the Pacific Northest and have web feet. :-)

NCL had excellent rates for some July sailings last week. :)

Just keep track of pricing and see what comes up. You will have to make some quick decisions, which I've done many times.

Was that the Norwegian Sun for $249 each way, northbound and southbound?

I think that may be the lowest price I have ever seen for 7 day Alaska cruises in peak season that was open to the general public (where you did not need to meet the requirements for one of the special price categories to qualify).

For that price, I am guessing they would probably be the worst inside cabins on the ship, but still a wonderful deal for someone on a tight budget who wants to take an Alaska cruise and is not claustrophobic.

Edited by fleckle

Was that the Norwegian Sun for $249 each way, northbound and southbound?

I think that may be the lowest price I have ever seen for 7 day Alaska cruises in peak season that was open to the general public (where you did not need to meet the requirements for one of the special price categories to qualify).

For that price, I am guessing they would probably be the worst inside cabins on the ship, but still a wonderful deal for someone on a tight budget who wants to take an Alaska cruise and is not claustrophobic.

Yes, I've picked up several late booked cruises, and no, they aren't the "worse" cabins, and I am not on a "tight budget". (no budget actually). But I do enjoy these bargains. :) I find it common, the link between inside cabins and being on a "tight budget". This is far from fact. As an example, I have been on 9 cruises already this year, only 2 of those cruises, I would consider "booked ahead". All the rest were bargain late bookings, all booked within 60 days. You don't travel that often with tight funds.

Edited by Budget Queen

NCL had excellent rates for some July sailings last week......

Yes, we saw those rates and were very tempted. It's difficult to find affordable airfare into Vancouver. How do you do it, or what do you recommend? We are four, so it adds up. Thx

Yes, we saw those rates and were very tempted. It's difficult to find affordable airfare into Vancouver. How do you do it, or what do you recommend? We are four, so it adds up. Thx

The world is small when you don't pay for air. My husband is a retired, airline A&P Mechanic.

You can look at alternative airports, such as Seattle and Portland. I had to fly into Portland last year. Bolt bus and greyhound are convenient. I recall, I had a rate of less than $100 total for 2. plus taxi fares. booking the day prior. There are some excellent rates available if you book ahead.

Edited by Budget Queen

I was referring to air, pre-cruise one night hotel, airport transfers, food while not on ship - not even excursions. for me and the 2 kids these expenses added nearly $2k to the low-cost cruise.

now if you can drive to the port same day as cruise then you are talking!!! I live near LA and am often tempted to take one of the cheap last minute cruises up the coast just for the heck of it. (no interest in Mexico)

I was referring to air, pre-cruise one night hotel, airport transfers, food while not on ship - not even excursions. for me and the 2 kids these expenses added nearly $2k to the low-cost cruise.

now if you can drive to the port same day as cruise then you are talking!!! I live near LA and am often tempted to take one of the cheap last minute cruises up the coast just for the heck of it. (no interest in Mexico)

Yes, certainly air for 3 is costly. Sometimes you can snag deals though, I see them mentioned.

I stay in the cheap basic hotels, Super 8, Days Inn, etc. I don't eat much, and sometimes pick up grocery items.

>SNIP<

I normally have an OV cabin for Alaska. This year I got a fancy-schmancy suite. For me, that was truly a waste of money. I was seldom IN the cabin, and seldom ON the balcony. I was up and out early every day, and did nearly all my viewing from public decks (more expansive views). For me, that expensive suite with balcony was not a good value at all. Next time, I'll be in an oceanview again. You can say I'm on a "tight budget" if you want, but I prefer to think that I purchase what has value to me. An OV gets me where I want to go, AND gives me natural light ;)

Edited by CowPrincess

My typical habit is to cruise northbound to Alaska late in the cruise season on whatever deal I can get. I then stay over for a while to experience the change of season and the beginning of winter.

The least I've ever paid was $235 on HAL double occupancy our of Vancouver (yes I had to pay for airfare). However haven't seen a price like this in a very long time. I'm on the email lists for the cruise lines.

I've found over the decades that a northbound cruise helps me to mentally get away from my everyday life and to prepare for visiting Alaska at my happiest time of the year.

After a Texas summer I'm really ready for cold/cool damp and shorter days.

This is all my own opinion!

My typical habit is to cruise northbound to Alaska late in the cruise season on whatever deal I can get. I then stay over for a while to experience the change of season and the beginning of winter.

The least I've ever paid was $235 on HAL double occupancy our of Vancouver (yes I had to pay for airfare). However haven't seen a price like this in a very long time. I'm on the email lists for the cruise lines.

I've found over the decades that a northbound cruise helps me to mentally get away from my everyday life and to prepare for visiting Alaska at my happiest time of the year.

After a Texas summer I'm really ready for cold/cool damp and shorter days.

This is all my own opinion!

Penny- WHERE have you been? I sincerely missed your wise, helpful posts. I just booked a cheap NCL Sun cruise 7-7. I had already planned a mainland trip with my nephew, and added this on. Took a lot of persuasion to get my sister to agree to it, but she loves a bargain, so kind of overlooked all the time we will be gone. :) (she clearly thinks I am nuts)

Yes, I've picked up several late booked cruises, and no, they aren't the "worse" cabins, and I am not on a "tight budget". (no budget actually). But I do enjoy these bargains. :) I find it common, the link between inside cabins and being on a "tight budget". This is far from fact. As an example, I have been on 9 cruises already this year, only 2 of those cruises, I would consider "booked ahead". All the rest were bargain late bookings, all booked within 60 days. You don't travel that often with tight funds.
I stand by my original statement, speaking as someone whose very first Alaska cruise years ago was one of those last minute closeout bargains at a rock bottom price. That was back in the days when we were right out of school and needed to watch every penny.

If that great deal had not come along, we would not have been able to go on the cruise.

Believe me, we appreciated those low closeout prices when we were on a very tight budget far more than any of the bargain prices offered today.

So although it may be an appealing option and a way to save some money for those of us who are not on a tight budget, I maintain that it is truly a wonderful deal for someone on a tight budget who otherwise might not be able to take the cruise at all.

Since we live in the Northwest, found some great last minute cruises to Alaska.. Usually less than a month before the cruise..

We could also drive up a day before and stay overnight in motel, leave the car there, and they will take us to the port, which is cheaper than parking at the terminal and paying their fees..

Don't worry about the cabin, since we only sleep, cleanup there..

Plenty of places on the ship to view the nice scenery up there...

There are so many ways to get airfare using points or miles with relatively little effort (and without even flying!). I can hardly remember the last time I paid "full price" for an airline ticket. Either use miles and just pay taxes or use a voucher I get from being "bumped" from a flight.

Edited by frugaltravel

There are so many ways to get airfare using points or miles with relatively little effort (and without even flying!). I can hardly remember the last time I paid "full price" for an airline ticket. Either use miles and just pay taxes or use a voucher I get from being "bumped" from a flight.

Perhaps you could share some tips on how you do that? or point us in the right direction for researching it . Thx

We were very lucky last yr. Princess ran great sales. They were combining their 7 day one way to RT out of Vancouver for 629 PP some sailings were even less! I recall some of the one way for 199 but they weren't avail with another low cost trip to make it less than what we paid. I thought very good for a 14 day trip. Can't beat it. Plus the 250 military OBC!

We were very lucky last yr. Princess ran great sales. They were combining their 7 day one way to RT out of Vancouver for 629 PP some sailings were even less! I recall some of the one way for 199 but they weren't avail with another low cost trip to make it less than what we paid. I thought very good for a 14 day trip. Can't beat it. Plus the 250 military OBC!

But this was for a july sailing not sept.