HAL Tattoo Policy: Any Staff Rules

zorrosuncle

It's sad when people admittedly limit their horizons so dismissively.

Well, everyone has their "limits", don't they? So far as I can tell, my limits haven't done me any harm, so I'm good.

Now, my son, on the other hand.............decided at 17 that because we wouldn't sign to allow him to get tattooed [we'd told him that at 18 he could do to himself whatever he chose--and deal with those consequences], he had some moron give him an ugly black thing on his shoulder.

College brought more ugly black ink on his legs.

Fortunate enough to get a mid-management job at 22, his first concern was his ink. It was made clear by his employer that it wasn't for customer eyes, nor was it to be visible at corporate events. So, he wears long pants and sleeved shirts in a climate where summer temps routinely reach 100F+.

He'd like to get the ink removed, but will never be able to afford it. Fortunately, his family comes first, so he hasn't been able to add to his "burden".

I've earned my bias and I own it. I'm not the least bit 0bnxshs about it.

I got a flamingo tattoo for my 40th on my thigh and an owl in memory of my Grandmother on my ankle. I never saw any HAL staff with visible tattoo's but I now the head barman in the Crow's Nest on the Noordam had a few which he showed me ...he was leaving to open up a tattoo parlour.

I don't understand a previous posters nasty remarks about those with tattoo's ...its a personal decision and is no different from choosing clothing, hair colour etc. I'm neither an idiot (I'm well highly educated), drunk or a pain addict. I just wanted something I liked on MY skin.

Agree!!! I also have two. One on my lower back that's actually a henna design I found and fell in love with which I got to mark my 30th birthday. The second, a pink and purple butterfly, is on my right ankle, and I got that to mark my coming out. I got neither when I was drunk, nor am I "addicted to pain". I am simply GenX and chose to mark significant events in my life with small tats.

My sister works on another cruise line, and she has three that I know of - one is covered by her whites, one she uses derma blend to cover if her shoes don't, and the third is her newest and I'm honestly not sure if it's coverable with clothes or if it's a derma blend one also.

So my guess is that most cruise lines have a "no visible tattoos" partly because some are vulgar but partly because of the prejudice of some people against them.

I don’t know how many of you know of the practice, but many of our friends have had their eyebrows and eye liner tattooed. It saves putting on makeup every day.

If the job has been done correctly, that is by a cosmetologist and not a tattoo parlor, it is virtually invisible as tattoos and looks simply natural for the eyebrows and like just a bit of makeup for the eye liner.

Scott $ Karen

I don’t know how many of you know of the practice, but many of our friends have had their eyebrows and eye liner tattooed. It saves putting on makeup every day.

If the job has been done correctly, that is by a cosmetologist and not a tattoo parlor, it is virtually invisible as tattoos and looks simply natural for the eyebrows and like just a bit of makeup for the eye liner.

Scott $ Karen

I can pick out a tattooed eyebrow from 50 paces! They all look exactly the same.:)

Where I work its not an issue. I see more & more people with tatoos, piercings being hired all the time. They are professionals with education and have the qualifications to do the job. What used to be taboo is not thought so as much anymore. Times are changing, peoples attitudes are as well. I find it refreshing.....new way of thinking. I think its cool that we do not judge people on what they have inked on their skin. :D Just saying........

Well, I never go a tattoo in my 20 year Navy career. Major reason was something I saw in Hong Kong in 1959. A lot of sailors were getting tattoos there until the medical department posted a picture of a young sailor's arm with part of a heart and "Mom" and "Dad" on it. The rest was a nasty looking sore. Apparently the "artist" kept the bamboo needles in his mouth and was also suffering from some disease which was passed on with the tattoo. Never had the desire after seeing that.

I'd guess that something small and inoffensive like the anchor could be accepted/overlooked, but if the tattoo on the officer included something sexual or vulgar, that would require being covered.

When I see a small, single tat on someone, I figure they just had a brain fart and learned after the fact not to make it any worse. When I see someone with a lot of ink, I just think that they're either an idiot, a drunk, or a pain addict, and I tend to dismiss them pretty quickly. If I have to deal with them, it will take a lot of personal energy--on THEIR part--for me to overcome those biases.

Judgmental? You bet. There isn't a soul in the world that in some way, shape, or form doesn't "judge a book by it's cover". We are a very visual society. If someone has the need to deliberately "show" me what they "like", then I have the right to respond how I like.[/quote

I am sure I speak for a lot of people with tattoos ......YOU are not worth the energy , keep your bias

• Thanks 1

I'd guess that something small and inoffensive like the anchor could be accepted/overlooked, but if the tattoo on the officer included something sexual or vulgar, that would require being covered.

When I see a small, single tat on someone, I figure they just had a brain fart and learned after the fact not to make it any worse. When I see someone with a lot of ink, I just think that they're either an idiot, a drunk, or a pain addict, and I tend to dismiss them pretty quickly. If I have to deal with them, it will take a lot of personal energy--on THEIR part--for me to overcome those biases.

Judgmental? You bet. There isn't a soul in the world that in some way, shape, or form doesn't "judge a book by it's cover". We are a very visual society. If someone has the need to deliberately "show" me what they "like", then I have the right to respond how I like.[/quote

I am sure I speak for a lot of people with tattoos ......YOU are not worth the energy , keep your bias

Well.....maybe. If someone has a small concealed tattoo, I and most people could care less. The problem is when they are over the top.

Case in point. I interveiwed a recent college graduate for a sales position with our firm. BAse salary is $65,000 with annual bonus potential of $30,000 plus full benefits. Not bad for a 22 year old right?

Well this younfg fellow was qualified, articulate etc. Problem is he enters my office for the interview and he has the word R_E B_E_L in block letters tattoed on his neck!!!!:confused::confused::confused:

After the interview ( which I hurried) the kid says " If the tattoo is an issue I can cover it up. Other companies I interviewed with said it might be a "problem." Ya think?? Needless to say he didn't get the job and he realized what a fool he was for having something so gross on his body.

But hey it's his body and he can do whatever he wants. I'm sure McDonald's won't mind!

I learned not to "judge a book by its cover" when DH took a motorcycle rider course a few years ago. One of his classmates, a truck driver, had lots of tats and I'm sure he couldn't go thru the metal detector at the airport without setting it off with all of the metal in his ears, etc. But I changed my mind very quickly - very soft spoken, "yes, maam", "no, maam", etc. And when one of the gals in the class couldn't get her car started after class (dead battery), guess who were the 2 people who stayed behind to help her - DH and the truck driver.

I try to make a point of getting to know someone rather than make snap judgements because of appearance or what they're wearing.

When I see a small, single tat on someone, I figure they just had a brain fart and learned after the fact not to make it any worse. When I see someone with a lot of ink, I just think that they're either an idiot, a drunk, or a pain addict, and I tend to dismiss them pretty quickly.
Wow! :rolleyes: What a stereotype! I would never get a tattoo, and I'm not a big fan of them. However, both of my children have multiple tattoos. And you know what, both of them are now medical doctors. I don't think either of them are brain farters, idiots, drunks or pain addicts. They are caring, selfless, young professionals making quite good for themselves. And, they like their tattoos.

Now, in your defense, there is a line that can be crossed. When someone has so many tattoos that it begins to define who they are, I suppose some judgement is warranted. And, I'm sure that is exactly what they expect since they probably got that many tattoos to "make a statement" about themselves. But, to completely write off someone who has tattoos as some sort of social and cultural deviant is just way over the top.

How do you judge women who use dramatic, over the top make-up and wear loads of gaudy costume jewelry? :D

But I don't judge. Each generation has its fads. My generation got a discreet butterfly on the shoulder or butt. Now it seems the more the better.

I don't think tattoos are a fad. They have been around for 5,200 years.

I don't think tattoos are a fad. They have been around for 5,200 years.

This.

Tattoos and other body modifications have been around for thousands of years, in a vast array of methods. Do you, your wife/husband, daughter/son, cousin, neighbor have their ears pierced? Guess what, that's body modification. Would you think they are uneducated and crying for attention because they pierced their lobes?

Or what about tattoos when used as a cover-up for scarring/disfigurement from an accident? Is it not okay for someone to choose how to decorate their body and for what reason they choose to do so? I know a few folks that have served chimed in that they never got any inkwork done. I'm sure they can all agree they still know of plenty of fellow service members that did choose to. Whether it was an individual decision, or something they and their entire unit did as a 'bonding' type of thing, I sure as hell don't think that those men/women are uneducated and moronic. (My father only did a six-year stint in the Navy and has nothing. My Grandfather however was a 28-year career Marine including three tours in Vietnam and also serving as a DI, eventually retiring as a MGySgt, and he had three tattoos. Two of those while in the service dedicated to his 'military family' and country, and one when he was out that was in reference to his 'personal family'. I have never once thought of him as a moron or unable to do his duties).

There is a lot of judgement going around in this thread. I wish I could say it is surprising, but given some recent threads, meh. As long as someone doesn't have a 'Charles Manson forehead tat', then I know better than to let something so minor to me, (but likely meaningful to them), effect my judgement of them.

Insert whatever saying you would like here -- "Don't judge a book by it's cover", "Shall not judge", etc, etc.

This.

Tattoos and other body modifications have been around for thousands of years, in a vast array of methods. Do you, your wife/husband, daughter/son, cousin, neighbor have their ears pierced? Guess what, that's body modification. Would you think they are uneducated and crying for attention because they pierced their lobes?

Or what about tattoos when used as a cover-up for scarring/disfigurement from an accident? Is it not okay for someone to choose how to decorate their body and for what reason they choose to do so? I know a few folks that have served chimed in that they never got any inkwork done. I'm sure they can all agree they still know of plenty of fellow service members that did choose to. Whether it was an individual decision, or something they and their entire unit did as a 'bonding' type of thing, I sure as hell don't think that those men/women are uneducated and moronic. (My father only did a six-year stint in the Navy and has nothing. My Grandfather however was a 28-year career Marine including three tours in Vietnam and also serving as a DI, eventually retiring as a MGySgt, and he had three tattoos. Two of those while in the service dedicated to his 'military family' and country, and one when he was out that was in reference to his 'personal family'. I have never once thought of him as a moron or unable to do his duties).

There is a lot of judgement going around in this thread. I wish I could say it is surprising, but given some recent threads, meh. As long as someone doesn't have a 'Charles Manson forehead tat', then I know better than to let something so minor to me, (but likely meaningful to them), effect my judgement of them.

Insert whatever saying you would like here -- "Don't judge a book by it's cover", "Shall not judge", etc, etc.

YEs. You are correct. There is a lot of judgement in this thread. And some of it is warranted. To protect people from themselves. In the early 1990's I served in the US NAvy on board the missile frigate USS McClusky. We had orders while on liberty in Bangkok Thailand to NOt UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES get a tattoo (among other things). Why? Cuz you have a ship with many 18 and 19 year old kids who have 2 brain cells between them and do not THINK! Many tatoo shops/parlors in a foreign port do NOT sterilize needles, etc. So some 19 year old goes home to Momma with a new tatoo he got at a foreign port and Voila! He develops HIV , Hepatitis etc. Momma will then of course blame the NAvy.

So sometimes it is necessary , especially in the armed forces, to protect the young ones from their own stupidity.

Wow! :rolleyes: What a stereotype! I would never get a tattoo, and I'm not a big fan of them. However, both of my children have multiple tattoos. And you know what, both of them are now medical doctors. I don't think either of them are brain farters, idiots, drunks or pain addicts. They are caring, selfless, young professionals making quite good for themselves. And, they like their tattoos.

Now, in your defense, there is a line that can be crossed. When someone has so many tattoos that it begins to define who they are, I suppose some judgement is warranted. And, I'm sure that is exactly what they expect since they probably got that many tattoos to "make a statement" about themselves. But, to completely write off someone who has tattoos as some sort of social and cultural deviant is just way over the top.

How do you judge women who use dramatic, over the top make-up and wear loads of gaudy costume jewelry? :D

This is the best post on this whole, quite frankly, unbelievable thread.:confused:

I saw one of the middle management officers on board VEENDAM on afternoon in Hamilton. Hot as Hades and asked what on earth he was wearing full uniform winter blues. 'Body art' on his arms. Could not wear short sleeves... so his is stuck with blue jacket.

Thanks for the info Stephen. Reminds me of a sailing on the old Noordam and going by an office next to the beauty salon. It was very hot and the door to office was open. Inside were 3-4 officers in whites. The smell of B.O. just wafted out of the room. Wish they had a policy about No B.O.:rolleyes:

So sometimes it is necessary , especially in the armed forces, to protect the young ones from their own stupidity.

But this isn't the opinion that some folks are expressing in the thread though. There are folks here making veiled comparisons between a persons character, intelligence, and worth, based solely on the fact that they have a tattoo(s). That's the problem in the thread. Not when or where a person gets a tattoo. (I'm sure most would agree you should know the background of your tattooist and the hygiene standards that they adhere to). Kids being morons isn't the issue. It's people thinking less of those who have chosen to get a tattoo.

Thanks for the info Stephen. Reminds me of a sailing on the old Noordam and going by an office next to the beauty salon. It was very hot and the door to office was open. Inside were 3-4 officers in whites. The smell of B.O. just wafted out of the room. Wish they had a policy about No B.O.:rolleyes:

And, the thread just got even more moronic.......

Cruiser A - Officers should be in their dress whites, it adds to the cruising experience for me.

<Officers all wear their dress whites>

Cruiser B - Eww, that officer has been wearing those whites for his 12-hour shift in this hot weather, he stinks. That is an insult to my nasal passages, how dare they not use more deodorant or toss on extra cologne to try and overcome the previously mentioned 12-hours in the heat in dress whites.

<Officers double-down on their deodorant and cologne>

Cruiser C - OMG, I can't breathe. That group of officers are wearing too much deodorant, it's all I can smell. I hate that smell of that particular brand. Why can't they just wear their short-sleeved shirts and crisp them up a bit? Ugh.

<Officers switch to short-sleeves in an attempt to allow better 'breathability'>

Cruiser D - Holy hell, does that officer have a 1"x1" tattoo of his random country where he served in their military when he was younger? I am so offended, he is obviously of low moral character. I want a refund, my entire cruise is ruined!

That's kind of odd considering the long time tattoo tradition in Maritime. I don't know a single navy veteran, of any age, that does not have at least one tattoo. Many, many years ago I worked a job that put me on the local tug boats in the Pittsburgh area on a daily basis, and every single crew member on every single tug had tattoos. And this was back in the early 80's when tattoos were not nearly as popular and accepted as they are today.

I do realize you do not know my family - my dad, uncle, grandfather and brother are all navy veterans - none of whom have a tatoo..........

I knew as soon as I pressed send on that post there would be several replies from Navy vets with no tattoos. LOL

I did say I did not personally know any Navy vets, who did not have tattoos, and I know quite a few since my family has a significant Navy history. Grandfather, father, several uncles, cousins and 2 nephews were or are currently in the Navy and all of them have tattoos. As do all if their friends that I happen to know.

I never said every Navy vet has a tattoo. :o

I knew as soon as I pressed send on that post there would be several replies from Navy vets with no tattoos. LOL

I did say I did not personally know any Navy vets, who did not have tattoos, and I know quite a few since my family has a significant Navy history. Grandfather, father, several uncles, cousins and 2 nephews were or are currently in the Navy and all of them have tattoos. As do all if their friends that I happen to know.

I never said every Navy vet has a tattoo. :o

Well my dad was a Navy vet and he had a tattoo. An eagle on his left forearm with a little banner to put a name on. When he had it done he didn't have a serious girl (plus I don't think you should EVER put someone' s name on a tattoo except maybe your kids, because you never know). He thought "Mother" as kind of corny , and he wasn't going to put his ship's name either because he couldn't wait to go home and never see it again *LOL*

So he left it blank.

It was never a priority to get it filled in later in life , even after he married my mom and had three daughters .

But occasionally ( wise guy that he was) :) he would write a woman's name in the banner with a pen, usually an odd name and NOT my mom's *LOL*

there was Edna, and Berniece, and Eunice, and Tillie, and Gertrude . *LOL*

And, the thread just got even more moronic.......

Cruiser A - Officers should be in their dress whites, it adds to the cruising experience for me.

<Officers all wear their dress whites>

Cruiser B - Eww, that officer has been wearing those whites for his 12-hour shift in this hot weather, he stinks. That is an insult to my nasal passages, how dare they not use more deodorant or toss on extra cologne to try and overcome the previously mentioned 12-hours in the heat in dress whites.

<Officers double-down on their deodorant and cologne>

Cruiser C - OMG, I can't breathe. That group of officers are wearing too much deodorant, it's all I can smell. I hate that smell of that particular brand. Why can't they just wear their short-sleeved shirts and crisp them up a bit? Ugh.

<Officers switch to short-sleeves in an attempt to allow better 'breathability'>

Cruiser D - Holy hell, does that officer have a 1"x1" tattoo of his random country where he served in their military when he was younger? I am so offended, he is obviously of low moral character. I want a refund, my entire cruise is ruined!

*LOL* LIKE

Just another day at Cruise Critic :)