HAL Tattoo Policy: Any Staff Rules

zorrosuncle

But occasionally ( wise guy that he was) :) he would write a woman's name in the banner with a pen, usually an odd name and NOT my mom's *LOL*

there was Edna, and Berniece, and Eunice, and Tillie, and Gertrude . *LOL*

Hey! My names Gertrude. And my sisters are Eunice and Druscilla.

What's so odd about that??? ;)

That's kind of odd considering the long time tattoo tradition in Maritime. I don't know a single navy veteran, of any age, that does not have at least one tattoo. Many, many years ago I worked a job that put me on the local tug boats in the Pittsburgh area on a daily basis, and every single crew member on every single tug had tattoos. And this was back in the early 80's when tattoos were not nearly as popular and accepted as they are today.

My dad also 20 years in the Navy--'39 to '59, also no ink. He said he never drank enough in port to be so drunk to be so stupid.

My dad also 20 years in the Navy--'39 to '59, also no ink. He said he never drank enough in port to be so drunk to be so stupid.

Sounds like my DH. 20 years, no ink, not a big drinker. Our son did get one small tattoo on his shoulder while at the Naval Academy, drink was involved. ;)

I love tattoos! First time I saw the cool one on my Dad's arm, I wanted one. Have a small one on my ankle. I'm not good with needles or I'd get another. I think many are incredibly beautiful and are works of art - some - not so much. I don't infer anything if someone has a tattoo. Some of the brightest, most talented people I know have them.

I would never get a tattoo but what someone else decides to do is entirely up to them. It would not bother me in the least is a HAL employee had a tattoo. I only care about good service, etc.

As for fellow passengers, we take the MYOB perspective. We do not care whatsoever about a fellow cruisers tattoos or indeed their dress. We are usually too busy enjoying our cruise.

This assumes of course that any visable tattoos are not racist in nature.

Edited by iancal

My daughter (who is not a young thing, now almost 48), has 4 tattoos, and all are beautiful. It does not change the person she is any more than skin colour makes a difference to the person you are. Seems to me there is some major judgements and discrimination going on here. Live and let live.:)

I am 47 years old. I have three tats. Two are on my stomach and can not be seen. The third one is on my lower leg. It's an eagle feather with my sons name on it. I'm sure eventually, I will get another one. I was not drunk and I sure as heck do not like pain. My tattoos are for me. Not for anyone else.

The last time I checked, only God could judge me.

I am 47 years old. I have three tats. Two are on my stomach and can not be seen. The third one is on my lower leg. It's an eagle feather with my sons name on it. I'm sure eventually, I will get another one. I was not drunk and I sure as heck do not like pain. My tattoos are for me. Not for anyone else.

The last time I checked, only God could judge me.

I have 6 of them , all small , all can be covered by long pants and a long sleeved shirt. Fortunately I have worked for over 30 years in a place where they don't care what is on my arms . and surprise ...surprise It's NOT McDonald's . I wasn't drunk either, I am no way addicted to pain , and I was hardly a kid who needed to be protected from myself.

The people here that think they are God , don't really bother me .

However, run away from the one's that are afraid God thinks he is one of them.

Edited by babyher

I don’t know how many of you know of the practice, but many of our friends have had their eyebrows and eye liner tattooed. It saves putting on makeup every day.

If the job has been done correctly, that is by a cosmetologist and not a tattoo parlor, it is virtually invisible as tattoos and looks simply natural for the eyebrows and like just a bit of makeup for the eye liner.

Scott $ Karen

I can pick out a tattooed eyebrow from 50 paces! They all look exactly the same.:)

I sincerely doubt that if it was done by a cosmetologist with a good eye. I agree with tattoo parlor eyebrows not looking natural.

Scott & Karen

Hi -- I am the original poster.

I must say that once I met a Catholic chaplain on one of HAL's ships who had a tattoo on his left arm that showed. Fr. Joseph, who passed two years back, was a wonderful and compassionate priest.

I remember asking him how he could be a priest and have a tattoo at the same time -- me with my built in bias!. He replied that he had it done in a previous life when he was in the Navy in his youth.

After the Navy he got himself educated, took a civilian job, then decided he was interested in the priesthood and became a priest in the Diocese of Albuquerque, N.M.

I can imagine that the tattoo drew as many people to him in his ministry as to those that turned away.

Hi -- I am the original poster.

I must say that once I met a Catholic chaplain on one of HAL's ships who had a tattoo on his left arm that showed. Fr. Joseph, who passed two years back, was a wonderful and compassionate priest.

I remember asking him how he could be a priest and have a tattoo at the same time -- me with my built in bias!. He replied that he had it done in a previous life when he was in the Navy in his youth.

After the Navy he got himself educated, took a civilian job, then decided he was interested in the priesthood and became a priest in the Diocese of Albuquerque, N.M.

I can imagine that the tattoo drew as many people to him in his ministry as to those that turned away.

He sounds like he was a very nice man. And if he lost parishoners because of his tattoo , then they weren't very good Catholics to begin with , so what was the great loss

The ship's Dr. on one of our cruises always wore a long sleeved t-shirt under his uniform or scrubs except in the gym. Then you could see his extensive tatoos including a full "sleeve."

Tattoos were found on the oldest mummified human remains ever discovered. The remains are over 5,300 years old and are that of the most ancient known human being.

Otzi the Iceman

[ATTACH]317922[/ATTACH]

Tattoos historically had only been applied to the most prestigious members of society. They have been found among all cultures and all social classes Worldwide. They have become a rite of passage for some an obsession for others. Their artwork can be as beautiful as that of the great masters or as simple as that of a child's crayon.

ImageUploadedByForums1404178178.869094.jpg.3a5d3ff5e1dd5eb7ce5401dad753fe81.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1404178227.964159.jpg.6fdd77f072d791cac889cf19e46c94a4.jpg

So why judge now?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I even put temporary tattoos (mostly Disney princesses) on my five-year old daughter. She begs for them and they wash off in a day or two. If she ever makes the decision to get one (as an adult and with her own money), I wouldn't have a problem as long as she investigated the tat parlor for cleanliness, health violations, etc., first. I just look at them as another artistic expression (albeit on the body). To me, just an extension of pierced ears, makeup, etc.

The first page of this thread was full of people thinking the OP was asking if the cruiseline had issues with guest tattooes. The OP said "Do you have an opinion on staff tattoos? On guest tattoos?" Not "does the cruiseline have an opinion on guest tatoos". :)

I don’t know how many of you know of the practice, but many of our friends have had their eyebrows and eye liner tattooed. It saves putting on makeup every day.

If the job has been done correctly, that is by a cosmetologist and not a tattoo parlor, it is virtually invisible as tattoos and looks simply natural for the eyebrows and like just a bit of makeup for the eye liner.

Scott $ Karen

Alas, only way to know if it'll be done correctly is to have it done and then see!

My MIL, who despises tattoos*, had her eyebrows, eyeliner, and lips done. Please someone explain this to me.

Had it done at around 60. And then at 65 felt too old for it, and had it all lasered off. :confused:

I kept asking my then fiance to steal the numbing cream she got to use, because I really really want to finish up what I started at 21, by getting a bit more done, but it hurt SO badly I just can't bring myself to do it! Why did she get to numb herself up (to put it on AND take it off) but people having it done away from their face can't?:cool:

*unfortunately for her opinions she was married to a Navy vet and merchant marine who DID have tattoos. Poorly done ones, too, that had all sort of melted into a bit blobby grey mess by the time he passed away at 79...

The first page of this thread was full of people thinking the OP was asking if the cruiseline had issues with guest tattooes. The OP said "Do you have an opinion on staff tattoos? On guest tattoos?" Not "does the cruiseline have an opinion on guest tatoos". :)

Alas, only way to know if it'll be done correctly is to have it done and then see!

My MIL, who despises tattoos*, had her eyebrows, eyeliner, and lips done. Please someone explain this to me.

Had it done at around 60. And then at 65 felt too old for it, and had it all lasered off. :confused:

I kept asking my then fiance to steal the numbing cream she got to use, because I really really want to finish up what I started at 21, by getting a bit more done, but it hurt SO badly I just can't bring myself to do it! Why did she get to numb herself up (to put it on AND take it off) but people having it done away from their face can't?:cool:

*unfortunately for her opinions she was married to a Navy vet and merchant marine who DID have tattoos. Poorly done ones, too, that had all sort of melted into a bit blobby grey mess by the time he passed away at 79...

*LOL*

laughing about your MIL hating tattoos , but the liners are OK :)

My 2 best friends all through high school and college (one still my best friend) were thinking about getting tattoos way back in the day. All three of us were going to get the same one (kind of a blood brothers forever kind of thing :))

My one buddy's mother was furious . According to their religion it was a big no no because it was "altering God's work" .

My buddy would shake his head and say "There isn't a woman in my family that has her original nose , but one little tattoo is altering God's work"

*LOL*

Interesting thread... Still don't know the official HAL policy.

My tattoo story… Scrubbed into surgery with my professor. Our female patient was being prepped. As we walked into the OR he noticed that she had large tattoo on her upper arm. He remarked, “why would a beautiful woman get a tattoo like that?” However, she was not asleep yet and turned toward him and said, “at the time I thought it was neat…” He was VERY embarrassed, apologized, and we all had a good laugh.