What is the view?

TravelRabbit

Going on a HAL cruise of New England-Nova Scotia (ending in Quebec, Canada) and wondering what the views will be during the cruise itself. We have two sea days. We did an Alaska cruise several years ago and nearly always could see land.

I suppose it depend on when you go...

...we're going from NYC to Quebec in Oct. I think we have more than 2 days of just cruising. As you go down the St.Lawrence river, I suspect you'll see land to port and starboard the whole way.

Having come back down from Alaska a couple of times and gone down to Mexico along the coast I'm guessing that there will be times (middle of the night) when land won't be visible.

I'm hoping that as we go up the St.Lawrence towards Quebec we'll se a bit of fall color.

Going on a HAL cruise of New England-Nova Scotia (ending in Quebec, Canada) and wondering what the views will be during the cruise itself. We have two sea days. We did an Alaska cruise several years ago and nearly always could see land.

I always thought that we would see land most of the time while on our NE cruise, but was surprised that we often did not.

DaveOKC

Just did the repo from Ft Lauderdale to Quebec City this spring and the views as you go down the St Lawrence were very nice, land on both sides. The St Lawrence is much bigger than one would think. We have done this trip more than once, last fall we were on the reverse repo but unfortunately had to disembark in Bar Harbor due to family emergency. Also did it once on Carnival r/t New York but not down the St Lawrence.

A great trip either way.

The only time we saw land on our Canada/New England cruises was when we were approaching ports and leaving them.

We definitely see land when sailing from Quebec City to Montreal on the St. Lawrence for a good long distance. Think back to our Maasdam cruises and you will remember.

On our Maasdam cruise last year, after leaving Sydney we sailed around Cape North just as the sun was setting. It was one of the most beautiful sunsets that I can recall.

Edited by fsdj1097

I guess on the sea days I will have time to enjoy the ship and not be so distracted by all the scenery as I was on the Alaskan cruise.
We've cruised to all seven continents and that is one aspect of Alaskan cruises that me make them unique. On no other cruise (at least that we've done) will you be constantly in such a close proximity to land - and the views.

We've cruised to all seven continents and that is one aspect of Alaskan cruises that me make them unique. On no other cruise (at least that we've done) will you be constantly in such a close proximity to land - and the views.

Are the fjords in Scandinavia similar to those in Alaska?

Also, OP are you going to the Sequany (sp?) Fjord? My mom enjoyed that part of our Canada/New England cruise on Maasdam. We could see land on both sides and we did see whales.

The fjords in Norway and Alaska are very different. They were all formed by receding glaciers but everyplace we've seen fjords (incl Chile and New Zealand) they are different.

Also, OP are you going to the Sequany (sp?) Fjord? My mom enjoyed that part of our Canada/New England cruise on Maasdam. We could see land on both sides and we did see whales.

No, this itinerary doesn't include Sequany (sp?) as far as I know. I think others do, and it sounds beautiful. We are sailing on the St. Lawrence so I will look for whales, since we are the only people who went to Alaska and didn't see any! Our New England/Canada cruise is mid-September; probably too early for fall foliage but we chose it for the itinerary and timing worked for us. Very much appreciate all the info CC participants give, by the way.

The Maasdam Boston to Montreal to Boston itinerary used to include Saguenay and it was one of the most special days of any short cruise we've ever been on. Every time we were there, the weather conditions were different and changed the experience. It's a shame they took that out of the sea day. I imagine it was a huge fuel eater.