Venice - Vaporetto Questions

tctriv

When you look on the visitors website, Vaparetto pass is sold as one day, two day, etc. are these for a 24 hour period or is for a day, as an example "Monday". We would need a pass from noon to noon the next day. Thanks for info.

Dennis

The time starts running from the point of purchase. So if you make the purchase at 2.00pm on Tuesday, it expires 2.00pm Wednesday.

The time starts running from the point of purchase. So if you make the purchase at 2.00pm on Tuesday, it expires 2.00pm Wednesday.

This is only partially true. If you purchase a ticket at the ticket window at the ACTV (the Vaporetto company) office in the Piazale Roma, the ticket clerk will often immediately validate the ticket which does start the clock. However, this is not necessary and you could ask them not to validate which you can do later before your first use. Or, if you simply purchase the ticket out of a vending machine it also will not be validated until first use. To validate the card, or just use it after it has been validated, you simply swipe it over the card readers located at every vaporetto stop. As long as your card if valid you will get a green light.

Hank

Thank you for this wonderful information!

Is the Alilaguna an option if you simply want to make a quick trip to or from the port to St. Mark's Square? While we plan to use the vaporetto for most travel, I was hoping the Alilaguna might be a good choice if you need to get back to the ship quickly (and perhaps more easily if you can skip the P. Roma and People Mover since it seems to dock on the other side).

You all are always a wealth of information and help! Thank you! I would never cruise without extensive research on these forums!

• 4 months later...
This is only partially true. If you purchase a ticket at the ticket window at the ACTV (the Vaporetto company) office in the Piazale Roma, the ticket clerk will often immediately validate the ticket which does start the clock. However, this is not necessary and you could ask them not to validate which you can do later before your first use. Or, if you simply purchase the ticket out of a vending machine it also will not be validated until first use. To validate the card, or just use it after it has been validated, you simply swipe it over the card readers located at every vaporetto stop. As long as your card if valid you will get a green light.

Hank

Reviving this link, great map and good info.

Hank - can I just purchase a 24 hr. pass once I get to Venice, is it really necessary/worthwhile to buy online before leaving? We're planning on taking the bus from the airport to the transportation center and walking to our hotel (BW Olimpia).

Thank for all your good help!

Edited by Tyskie

Reviving this link, great map and good info.

Hank - can I just purchase a 24 hr. pass once I get to Venice, is it really necessary/worthwhile to buy online before leaving? We're planning on taking the bus from the airport to the transportation center and walking to our hotel (BW Olimpia).

Thank for all your good help!

My goodness, we would never consider purchasing a vaporetto pass online. No need. At all the vaporetto piers there are ticket vending machines (that work with Euros (cash) or Chip/PIN credit cards) that have instructions in multiple languages including English. These machines will dispense any kind of vaporetto ticket including the single trip (I think they are valid for 90 min) or any of the passes (24, 48.72). All vaporetto tickets are now an actual card that contains a chip. You simply swipe them over the card reader (located at every vaporetto pier) and will get a green light if the card is valid. If it is the first time you use the card, the first time you swipe will actually activate the card and start the clock (to when the card expires).

For those that do not want to use the machines there are ticket windows (with humans) at most vaporetto stations. We have observed that many of the ticket clerks will often validate the card as they hand it to the customer. Since this starts the clock you do not want this to happen unless you are buying the ticket at the time you plan to use it.

For cruisers leaving the port for the first time, you can simply walk over to the People Mover and buy a ticket (out of vending machines) for the People Mover (it costs 1.5€ per ride). Take the People Mover in the direction of the Piazale Roma where you get off the train (the journey is no more then 5 min). When you exit the station (in the Piazale Roma) start walking across the large square towards the Grand Canal and you will see an ACTV (the vaporetto company) sign and office. They have multiple ticket vending machines outside the office and also a few ticket windows.

As to the Alilaguna, we will again emphasize that these are operated by a private company and their tickets are NOT VALID for the vaporettos. And the vaporetto tickets are NOT VALID on the Alilaguna. So for folks who are planning to use vaporettos for the day (or several days) and buy a pass, you might want to stick with the vaporettos :). The vaporetto system is excellent and can get you anywhere around the island of Venice or to any of the other islands (i.e. Murano, Burano, Torcello, Lido) in the Lagoon.

Hank

My goodness, we would never consider purchasing a vaporetto pass online. No need. At all the vaporetto piers there are ticket vending machines (that work with Euros (cash) or Chip/PIN credit cards) that have instructions in multiple languages including English. These machines will dispense any kind of vaporetto ticket including the single trip (I think they are valid for 90 min) or any of the passes (24, 48.72). All vaporetto tickets are now an actual card that contains a chip. You simply swipe them over the card reader (located at every vaporetto pier) and will get a green light if the card is valid. If it is the first time you use the card, the first time you swipe will actually activate the card and start the clock (to when the card expires).

Hank

Morning, So there is no advantage to buying the bus & vaporetto combo pass at the airport machines - as the 24hr. vaporetto will start right away, correct? I was told to just hop on the bus and pay the bus driver (have small euros available).

Unfortunately our banks don't have the chip/pin cards yet - one bank will be getting them while we are away. Will we be able to use the swipe/signature cards? If not, we have our ATM cards and already have some euros to start with.

Don't want to sound dumb about all this but first time to Europe, want it to go as smooth as possible. :D Thanks!!!

Edited by Tyskie

OK, hope this wasn't covered above, but even if it was, it was probably from 2014 and may have changed. I see a lot of the prices in Venice have (People Mover is 1,50 euro for example).

I'm going from the airport to the area of St. Mark's. I'm tentatively planning to take the ATVO bus to P. Roma and then walk down to the platform for the 5.1 (E, Parisi platform) because it goes to San Zaccaria (Danieli), which is best for my hotel (little walking, no stepped ramps across water). However, it will be an extremely busy weekend when we'll be there, with 6 ships on the port schedule on Saturday, although perhaps not all the same hours, and perhaps not all at Marittima. I'm wondering if my husband and I will be able to get on the vaporetto with a 25 inch suitcase and large backpack each. The ACTV website says I can take one suitcase of that size, but I'm not sure if they would balk at a backpack. The 5.1 is, I believe, one of the less popular and crowded vaps, so I'm hoping we won't have problems. However, I was wondering if anyone can comment on that.

The Alilaguna is luggage friendly, but I don't particularly want to take it from the airport due to length of time it takes, the fact that both lines go to vap platforms which require 5-10 minutes more of walking than Zaccaria Danieli, plus my fear that there will be a long line for it at the airport and we'll have to wait to board. Can anyone comment on that?

I don't particularly want to take a water taxi due to cost, but still, I'm curious: If you order a water taxi to the port (not a hotel as I would be doing), where do they take you? Is it to the Alilaguna stop at the port or somewhere else? If your ship is docked way over on the pier at the westernmost spot, do you have to walk over there? The water taxi can't go wherever it wants, right? Or does it just drop you at the Piazalle Roma area?

I'm still trying to determine if there might be any shuttle buses available from the port at the end of the People Mover to the ship if we end up docking at a far location. The (new) ship I'm on has only been to Venice twice, but the first time it got a great port assignment, and the second, a lousy one, way over toward the ferry dock! (At least that day, there should have been more than 4 red X's on that map someone posted last year!)

So another question: We're embarking in Venice. At the port, can I assume you take your luggage to the specific terminal where your ship docks like in other ports, or is there a central location in the port to drop your luggage?

If people want to take the Alilaguna over to St. Marks to sightsee, I would caution them that the current Ali schedule shows the last boat going over at 5:25 PM. You can get back after that, but not "TO" San Marco or other locations on Alilaguna (Blu line). Also, this time of year, on Sunday the People Mover schedule shows it closing at 10 PM, so if you're overnighting, keep that in mind.

Roothy, You are obviously a very savvy traveler with your share of Venice experience. You have laid out everything so accurately that its hard to give you any advice that you have not already considered. Regarding where the water taxis dock in the Marina, we are no longer sure since it has changed a few times over the years and there was even a time when they were not allowed in the port. On our last visit we did see a couple of water taxis docking near the Alilaguna.....but have no clue as to what is happening this week much less whenever you will arrive :).

Regarding your Vaporetto question, I cannot imagine that the busy port schedule will have a great impact on the 5.1...although it will certainly add to those on the 1 and 2 boats. We have only seen the vaporetto luggage rule enforced one time (and we have been to Venice many times) and that was with a couple who had 4 large roller suitcases (they had to pay the extra fee). DW and I have long used backpacks when we travel (it keeps both hands free and we can cram a lot into large backpacks) and nobody has ever questioned us or hassled us at vaporetto piers. So we think you will be safe :). Worst case would be they will want a few extra Euros, but in your situation we would just move through the line and get aboard. It is up to them to stop you and request an extra fee.

As to internal port shuttle buses, we have been on about 8-10 cruises in and out of Venice and have never seen a shuttle. But others have said they do exist for some cruise lines. But being Italy one never knows (you are experienced and understand).

As to the airport Alilaguna, we have never bothered since we just thought it was too slow and a bit of a hassle (we regularly use the ATVO). We do know that lines for for the Alilaguna (airport pier) is really dependent on how many flights get in around your time...especially internal Italian and EU flights. If it is a zoo at the luggage area that might be a good hint :).

As to the port, everyone of our departures has had us dropping our luggage at the same building (the one with yellow roof not far from the main port entrance). But we have seen other ships using another terminal. We understand you trying to get all the facts before your trip, but I find myself thinking "Its Italy" and nobody ever knows anything in advance :). Funny thing is that we consider that part of the charm of the country and have learned to go with the flow and just smile. I will admit that it would be fun to speak good Italian so we could rant and rave and use our hands like only the Italians do.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Roothy, You are obviously a very savvy traveler with your share of Venice experience. You have laid out everything so accurately that its hard to give you any advice that you have not already considered. Regarding where the water taxis dock in the Marina, we are no longer sure since it has changed a few times over the years and there was even a time when they were not allowed in the port. On our last visit we did see a couple of water taxis docking near the Alilaguna.....but have no clue as to what is happening this week much less whenever you will arrive :).

Regarding your Vaporetto question, I cannot imagine that the busy port schedule will have a great impact on the 5.1...although it will certainly add to those on the 1 and 2 boats. We have only seen the vaporetto luggage rule enforced one time (and we have been to Venice many times) and that was with a couple who had 4 large roller suitcases (they had to pay the extra fee). DW and I have long used backpacks when we travel (it keeps both hands free and we can cram a lot into large backpacks) and nobody has ever questioned us or hassled us at vaporetto piers. So we think you will be safe :). Worst case would be they will want a few extra Euros, but in your situation we would just move through the line and get aboard. It is up to them to stop you and request an extra fee.

As to internal port shuttle buses, we have been on about 8-10 cruises in and out of Venice and have never seen a shuttle. But others have said they do exist for some cruise lines. But being Italy one never knows (you are experienced and understand).

As to the airport Alilaguna, we have never bothered since we just thought it was too slow and a bit of a hassle (we regularly use the ATVO). We do know that lines for for the Alilaguna (airport pier) is really dependent on how many flights get in around your time...especially internal Italian and EU flights. If it is a zoo at the luggage area that might be a good hint :).

As to the port, everyone of our departures has had us dropping our luggage at the same building (the one with yellow roof not far from the main port entrance). But we have seen other ships using another terminal. We understand you trying to get all the facts before your trip, but I find myself thinking "Its Italy" and nobody ever knows anything in advance :). Funny thing is that we consider that part of the charm of the country and have learned to go with the flow and just smile. I will admit that it would be fun to speak good Italian so we could rant and rave and use our hands like only the Italians do.

Hank

Ugh! I just wrote a response and then did something stupid and lost it. I'll just summarize: Thank you! Very helpful.

Would you happen to know if "Marittima Fabbricato" means anything? That's where we're apparently to go for embarkation. I don't see it on the port website map. Also, we got a little port map in our cruise booklet and it shows the "cruise terminal" as VE117, way over to the west, with the water in between and then Tronchetto. Does that sound like where you've been? I know there are different terminals (per the port web site) but perhaps they use that one a lot or something?

Thanks for the other info. Believe it or not, this will be my first visit to Venice - but I've had 2 years to plan the cruise, so I've learned a lot! Love the planning...and now I'm helping some rather bewildered folks on my Roll Call. They have cruised, but only on a river, so the logistics are a little more complicated than what they're used to. Took me a long time to figure out Venice...

Just looked at my notes - port load of 12,175 on the only full day I have for sightseeing! Whew! No wonder Venice is sinking!

Oh, I just went on Google Earth and when I search for the "Fabbricato" location it shows the terminal VE 117 at the far NW corner. Port website shows a picture of a yellow building; says it has seats for 400, luggage dropoff as long as cruise operations are going on, X number of operators to check people in, free wifi, 9 WCs, lots of parking nearby for easy dropoff, etc. I guess that's where we'll be going!

We recommend using the ATVO bus from the airport which is a different company the vaporetto.

We have an early flight on now 9 ( 7:30am) I am thinking of taking ATVO 5 am bus from plaza Roma to the airport. Can I buy my ticket that morning? Where? Should I buy the night before?

If the 5 am bus does not show up, is there taxis at this hr ?

Thanks,

Maria