What Do You Like Best About A Cruise

TheDivineMrsM

My phone is off so I'm completely disconnected from work; I had no idea how liberating that was until my first cruise.

Close second: The feeling of vacationing (as opposed to "doing") being my primary focus. I don't have to worry about planning an itinerary, getting from point A to point B, go-go-go, etc. I just focus on me and do what I want - lounge about, exercise, go for a dip, read on the balcony, etc.

Great responses everyone.

What do I like best?

Well, in no particular order . . .

Being with my best friend, companion and keeper. The food (Hey, I paid for 18 meals a day and I'm gonna eat 18 meals per day!). No cell phones. No phone calls. No texts. No e-mail. No IM's. No "Boob-Tube". Trying new foods (especially the one's I can't pronounce). The passenger participation shows. The production shows. The cabin steward/stewardess. Bumping into old friends. Making new friends. Our waiter. No alarm clocks. Seeing the sparkle in my wife's eyes as we dance under the stars. Dressing up for dinner. Our table mates. Getting away from all the melodrama of the workplace. Free champagne at the 'art' auctons. Spotting whales. Visiting new places. Having a designated driver (the Captain & Captain. Getting my 'sea-legs'. Doing "nothing". Doing "everything". No chores (cutting the grass, vaccuming, dusting, taking out the garbage, washing the car, ... ). No TV. No commercials. No telemarketers. Finally finishing that book I've been working on for the last year. Rainbows dropping out of a passing squall. Being waited on. No dishes! Meeting "strange" people. Meeting wonderful people. Meeting strange AND wonderful people. Sunrises. Sunsets. The "EMERALD FLASH". Watching porpoises jumping in front of the ship as we pull into harbor. Warm doughnuts and cappuccino on deck, as the ship wakes up for the day. M.U.T.S. (Movies Under The Stars). Couple's massage. Getting a steak sandwich, onion rings and a milkshake delivered to me, while I'm on the treadmill, in the gym. The billions and billions of stars that you can't see when you're at home. Breakfast in bed. Being "On-Deck For The Cure". Booking the next cruise while we're still onboard.

And . . . Watching first-timers 'discover' cruising. Welcome aboard, Mrs M!

You are a born writer my friend! You captured it perfectly. Lovely post, thank you!

No phone, internet, mail, bills or distractions. Everything has been delegated back home so we are not going to be handling anything from 6000 miles away and 6 time zones. Also not getting off the ship and flying back from tim-buck-too for someone sick in the hospital. Sorry this is why delegation of responsibility is needed. I would do the same for them if it occurred. If they need to call me it is $10 per minute (their dime) if I am in the cabin when the Over seas call arrives. Life will wait when needed even in the worst case. If the worst happens, I am not value added 6000 miles away.

What do I like best?

Being with my best friend, companion and keeper. The food (Hey, I paid for 18 meals a day and I'm gonna eat 18 meals per day!). No cell phones. No phone calls. No texts. No e-mail. No IM's. No "Boob-Tube". Trying new foods (especially the one's I can't pronounce). The passenger participation shows. The production shows. The cabin steward/stewardess. Bumping into old friends. Making new friends. Our waiter. No alarm clocks. Seeing the sparkle in my wife's eyes as we dance under the stars. Dressing up for dinner. Our table mates. Getting away from all the melodrama of the workplace. Free champagne at the 'art' auctons. Spotting whales. Visiting new places. Having a designated driver (the Captain & Captain. Getting my 'sea-legs'. Doing "nothing". Doing "everything". No chores (cutting the grass, vaccuming, dusting, taking out the garbage, washing the car, ... ). No TV. No commercials. No telemarketers. Finally finishing that book I've been working on for the last year. Rainbows dropping out of a passing squall. Being waited on. No dishes! Meeting "strange" people. Meeting wonderful people. Meeting strange AND wonderful people. Sunrises. Sunsets. The "EMERALD FLASH". Watching porpoises jumping in front of the ship as we pull into harbor. Warm doughnuts and cappuccino on deck, as the ship wakes up for the day. M.U.T.S. (Movies Under The Stars). Couple's massage. Getting a steak sandwich, onion rings and a milkshake delivered to me, while I'm on the treadmill, in the gym. The billions and billions of stars that you can't see when you're at home. Breakfast in bed. Being "On-Deck For The Cure". Booking the next cruise while we're still onboard.

This was AMAZING. :) Going on my first cruise in December and this made me even more excited. Thank you!! :D

Relaxation and elegance of a bygone era.

Everyone looking great on formal nights.

Teak steamer loungers in the open ocean air.

White glove afternoon tea service.

Wonderful, intellectually stimulating lectures.

No din of constant announcements to be anywhere or to do anything.

The majesty of the North Atlantic.

Sunrise and sunset at sea, and more stars than can ever be seen from the city.

What do I like best?

PERFECT! It's everything you make it

Edited by cloverseeker

Like everyone else has said, there are so many things we love about cruises! It is the perfect mix of beach/relaxation, which I prefer, and fun/activities, which hubby prefers. Part of what I like includes the planning beforehand, finding an amazing deal and then figuring out what all we want to see. We love not having to worry about paying extra for food or entertainment on board. We love meeting new people from all over the world. And we absolutely love putting away our cell phones. Cruising really is a great relaxing way to see places you might not visit on their own.

1) the fact that I do not have to worry about anything from the time I get on the ship until I get off the ship.

2) Being able to go dancing every night.

3) Carnivals Long Island Iced Tea, simply the best, patiently awaiting my next glass in Feb.

I actually like the institutionalise feel of a cruise, after spending every other week of the year making decisions. There is a rhythm to every day.

We decided as a family to eat in the MDR and go to the main show,,followed by the lounge entertainment. On shore days, do our own thing and only do a ship's excursion if there is nothing else to do. When we get back on ship, everyone does their own thing (for me, this means reading on the Promenade deck), then meeting up in the ocean Lounge for pre-dinner drinks.

Like many of you, waking up in the morning, looking out of my port hole and seeing a new port in the distance. :) I also love the variety of on board activities and getting to see a variety of different shows each evening. :)

Edited by kiwigirl12

After booking our 1st cruise almost a year ago, the countdown is on for later this summer. Because it's drawing nearer, I'm thinking things through and making mental notes about the tips I'm reading here. After the 4th of July, I plan to make my lists on paper and start gathering things together.

One of my favorite parts about this vacation is the ease of making travel plans. It's always been up to me to research, plan and organize vacations for hubby, son and I from where to go, what to see, where to stay, how to get there, how long to go, and so on.

What I love about this vacation is so much has already been taken care of without my having to do muc research at all. We will get a charter bus to Baltimore to board a ship. No airline scheduling or hassles. No hotel arrangements required. No having to drive ourselves other than one hour to get the bus. The ship will have all kinds of activities and I've booked excursions for the ports. I am looking forward to one whole week of complete leisure. Maybe I will feel like one of the upperclass people in Downton Abbey!

Relax, hang lose, & have a good time. :D :)

• 2 weeks later...

- The smell of the wonderful, clean sea air!

- Not having to cook, grocery shop, vaccuum, wash dishes, or make the beds!

- Waking up each day and being in a new country or a new island

- The wonderful, friendly crew members and fellow passengers who are all so interesting to interact with

- The huge variety of things to do on and off board.

- Tequila tastings! (or wine tastings!)

- Great food and restaurant choices onboard

- Feeling so "away"-- no newspaper, no news, no politics, no phone ringing...

- As my hubby says: "I like the 'boatiness' of cruises"

- Sun, sand, beaches, sea air, sea breezes, and tequila sunrises-- plus the Spa!

Wish we were going on another cruise soon-- will have to plan one! :cool:

After booking our 1st cruise almost a year ago, the countdown is on for later this summer. Because it's drawing nearer, I'm thinking things through and making mental notes about the tips I'm reading here. After the 4th of July, I plan to make my lists on paper and start gathering things together.

One of my favorite parts about this vacation is the ease of making travel plans. It's always been up to me to research, plan and organize vacations for hubby, son and I from where to go, what to see, where to stay, how to get there, how long to go, and so on.

What I love about this vacation is so much has already been taken care of without my having to do muc research at all. We will get a charter bus to Baltimore to board a ship. No airline scheduling or hassles. No hotel arrangements required. No having to drive ourselves other than one hour to get the bus. The ship will have all kinds of activities and I've booked excursions for the ports. I am looking forward to one whole week of complete leisure. Maybe I will feel like one of the upperclass people in Downton Abbey!

My favorite part about a cruise?

1) A cruise is relaxing.

2) A chance to get away from it all.

3) You are on your own schedule from the muster drill until debarkation.

4) A chance to see new places.

5) A chance to do things I have not done before.