A Quick Carnival Miracle to Alaska Review 6/24-7/1 with a Visit to Medical

etwright

Alright, I am going to give a quick review of our cruise last week on the Carnival Miracle. I am sorry to say that I won’t be posting any pictures because we are only home a week before we leave for our next cruise on the Dream and I just really have too much to do here at home in order to get ready. It was my wife and I and we booked this cruise for a few reasons. It was a “pre-cruise” for just the two of us since our next cruise on the Dream will be with two of our grandkids. We also wanted to do an Alaska. And finally John Heald was the cruise director and we always have wanted to cruise with and meet him.

Embarkation- We only live 30 minutes from the port. Our daughter drove us there and we arrived at 10:20 handing our bags to the porter and were sitting with Zone 1 boarding at 10:40. We boarded around 11:30 and were eating lunch before noon. One of the easiest and fastest boarding we have experienced.

Room- We booked an interior on deck 6 all the way forward. The room was fine and our room steward Jose did an excellent job keeping the room clean all week. No complaints here.

Dining- We requested early dining and once we got onboard, they had assigned us to late dining. We went to the maître d Ken and he had no problem changing us to early dining. He said he would have a note in our cabin the next morning with our new assignment which was no problem since we were dining in the steakhouse the first night. We had had our assignment note that evening in our cabin. Later in the week, we met some new friends that were anytime dining and they convinced us to try and change to anytime. We went back to the maître D and even though he teased us and called us “meals on wheels”, he changed us to any time. We have never done anytime dining, but we are now hooked. The meals were all great and the service even better! We ate at both restaurants and Lido and enjoyed everything we had.

Shows- We only went to a few of the shows and a couple of the comedy shows. They were all a lot of fun and we enjoyed each of them. The Welcome Aboard show with John was absolutely amazing and one of the best we have ever been to. It was hilarious!!!

Excursions- In Tracy Arm Fjord, we did the small boat tour. You can book by emailing Carnival and since we waited until the last minute, they emailed us back to say it was full. However, the day before we left, we received another email saying someone had cancelled and we were confirmed. In Skagway, we book through an online company for the Bus Tour/Rail excursion. The tour guide was absolutely amazing and took us to an historic town, dog camp for lunch and then the train. There were many picture stops along the way. I would highly recommend this tour. In Juneau, we also booked privately for a city tour and glacier visit. This guide wasn’t all that great. It was still a nice visit to the Mendenhall Glacier.

Overall- While the Miracle is setup different than any other ship we had been on, we eventually got used to it after a couple of days. The ship was very clean, the staff were extremely friendly, and service awesome. I mentioned that we had a trip to medical. One night while participating in the Adult Scavenger hunt, my wife fell and hit her head/nose on the back of one of the sofas. They called for medical and after waiting for 20 minutes while they kept saying medical was on their way, one of the bar waiters showed up with a wheelchair and took us down to medical. It was n’t as bad as it looked at first and the person in medical was awesome. They didn’t have to stich her up, but rather used a “skin glue” on the wound. The next morning, guest services called to check on her and also our room steward came and checked on her. The experience didn’t ruin any part of our cruise and overall it was another amazing cruise.

Since this is such a short review and I have no pictures, I will be happy to try and answer any questions anyone may have. Just realize we are busy this week getting prepared to leave again next week, so it may take a little time to get back to you. Thanks!

We have never cruised with him but didn't want to be swayed with hype. He appears genuine. Did he do any different show routines or the standard Carnival dialogs? Alaska next year is on the bucket list.

His Welcome Aboard show was about the same routine although he had a little different twist to it. The Love and Marriage show was totally different than any other I have ever seen. It was a lot of fun though. He also offered a "Ask Any Question" show where you were allowed to ask any question you wanted and he would do his best to answer. One girl asked how much butter the ship goes through in a week and since he didn't know, he called the food supply officer and asked right from the stage. A lot of good information came out of this show.

Just curious: Did you happen to see the young lady in the high school graduation cap and gown? I understand she wore this daily.

I've been on the Miracle to Alaska once before and would love to do it again. Thanks for the review!

LOL! You beat me to it, I was going to ask that.

Just curious: Did you happen to see the young lady in the high school graduation cap and gown? I understand she wore this daily.

Sorry, I never saw or heard anything about the cap and gown incident until we got home.

I've been on the Miracle to Alaska once before and would love to do it again. Thanks for the review!

Thanks

Just wondering what did you think about the Tracy Arm small boat ... worth it ?? yay or nay ... we sail 7/22 and was it easy getting on and of the small boat

We loved the small boat excursion and are very glad we did it. I would say it was definitely worth it.

Just wondering what did you think about the Tracy Arm small boat ... worth it ?? yay or nay ... we sail 7/22 and was it easy getting on and of the small boat

Getting on and off was very easy. It was just like any tendered port where you get on a tender boat. We all met in the Mad Hatters Lounge and when they were ready, they walked us down to the boat.

i am just curious, since the itineray now has 3 "sea days", if you got to see enough of the beautiful scenery or were you looking at water the whole time? we sail next month..

There was a ton of scenery. Not only on the Tracy Arm Fjord day, pulling in and out of Juneau and Skagway was just as gorgeous. The only day we were really out in open water was the first sea day after we pulled out and the day before Victoria.

Thank you for posting. I hope your wife has fully recovered. Have a fantastic cruise.

Thanks. She is getting better each day. A lot less bruising everyday. :)