Shipping luggage

mpfund

Does anyone have experience shipping luggage to an Oceania ship? We are traveling to Stockholm via London, AA to BA, and have been reading horror stories of luggage being lost at Heathrow.

Comments, opinions, advice appreciated!

There have been several threads on this subject although not recently.

Many people have used Luggage Forward -- there are other companies. Good idea to Google and do some price comparison.

I am having luggage forwarded from Johannesburg to Cape Town when I go on safari pre cruise because i cannot take anything but a carry on to the safari. I am using U-bag. Someone else I know used them and received excellent service.

http://www.u-bag.com/index.cfm?pageid=342&AdminID=342&LeftNav=y&CFID=7475164&CFTOKEN=74651769&jsessionid=5230b99f3edb4db725845235d4a35d7d4c3d

I have flown to London many times (doing so next Tuesday) and I have never had an issue with luggage at Heathrow. Miami i worse. LOL Recently there was a big problem at Heathrow but that was a computer issue and could happen anywhere.

Edited by pacheco18

We used Luggage Free last month for our trip to Alaska. Our luggage was collected as arranged from our home, although there was a slight hiccup with their representative\agent not meeting us at the pre-arranged time at the port in Vancouver to pick up the luggage to ship back home.

We had to phone their office and spent some 20 minutes being redirected around before someone acknowledged they knew of the pre-arranged pick up of our luggage. It wasn't a hassle for us to wait around for the representative to arrive at the Port, as we were staying over in Vancouver for a few days.

Pleased to advise our luggage arrived safely back home here, before we did:)

Here is the link to previous discussion about Luggage Free and luggage forwarding.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1723203

It is very expensive, and more when you are out of the country. You have to send it way in advance.

Pacheco, I also went from Capetown to JBerg and then in to Branson's place, and they keep the luggage for you right in JBerg and you just take your small bag in to the safari. It was easy and I didn't want to fly home with safari clothes on (which I didn't need by the way).

This problem occurred with BA and if it is going to occur it will. I wouldn't want my luggage going with someone I didn't know.

That's my take anyway.

It is very expensive, and more when you are out of the country. You have to send it way in advance.

Pacheco, I also went from Capetown to JBerg and then in to Branson's place, and they keep the luggage for you right in JBerg and you just take your small bag in to the safari. It was easy and I didn't want to fly home with safari clothes on (which I didn't need by the way).

This problem occurred with BA and if it is going to occur it will. I wouldn't want my luggage going with someone I didn't know.

That's my take anyway.

I am not going back to Joberg. I fly to Joberg and then to Kruger for safari. I am going directing from Kruger to Cape Town, staying in Cape Town and then boarding the ship. Shipping the luggage is the solution.

The normally pick up your luggage ten to twelve days before your cruise and it's a great feeling to know you have already packed and it's out of your hands. There is nothing like going to the airport without luggage and not haven got worry about anything. The nest time you see it is in you cabin. Best money you can spend imo.

Have used Luggage Forward several times with zero issues- great to work with.

One tip is that if you have it shipped directly to the ship, there is about a 20% upcharge because the port agent gets involved and a fee to deliver to the ship.

Best bet is to have it shipped to your hotel if doing a couple day pre-cruise- no up charge.