Clarification needed about All-Inclusive Beverage Package (AIBP)

jg51

Good evening.

We have done a lot of reading, both here and at the Princess site, about the new All-Inclusive Beverage (or "Bar") Package, which we'll call AIBP for short. But we still feel a bit uncertain, so we would like to ask folks who have actually USED it recently (especially on the Crown/Ruby/Emerald sisters) to answer our questions.

1. Are the milkshakes available at the pizza bar INcluded as "beverages," or are they EXcluded as though they were a kind of food that must be purchased separately?

2. Have we made any mistakes in thinking that each of the following items would be included, as long as its price is not greater than 10.00 per glass/cup?

a. wine, beer/ale, spirits (rum/gin/vodka/tequila), cocktails, liqueurs, cognacs

b. bottled water

c. fresh-squeezed juice

d. espresso-based beverages and specialty teas (at International Cafe, etc.)

e. soft drinks (i.e., carbonated soda pop and the like)

f. non-alcoholic mixed drinks (so-called "mocktails") and smoothies

3. Can soft drinks be requested in cans OR from the fountain -- or is only one of those permitted?

4. This may be a bit too hard to answer, but ... We came across photos of bar menus, and we noticed that some of our favorite spirits were sold at $5.50 per shot. Does this mean that someone with the AIBP could not be served a "double," since that would seem to cost $11.00 (thus over the $10.00 limit). Or is a double-shot's price normally reduced to $10.00 or less?

5. We saw a CruiseCritic official-review-site page (from last December) stating, to our surprise, that the AIBP -- despite being a "beverage" package -- would be covering the cost of gelato and crepes at the International Cafe and wherever else they may be sold. Is this correct, or did CrCr get this one wrong? It was mentioned at the time of Princess's "unveiling" of the AIBP on just two ships.

6. In point #2, have we accidentally omitted anything significant that is included in the package? (We know about the 40% discount on wine in bottles costing under $100.01.)

Many thanks for your help. :D

Edited by jg51

Good evening.

We have done a lot of reading, both here and at the Princess site, about the new All-Inclusive Beverage (or "Bar") Package, which we'll call AIBP for short. But we still feel a bit uncertain, so we would like to ask folks who have actually USED it recently (especially on the Crown/Ruby/Emerald sisters) to answer our questions.

1. Are the milkshakes available at the pizza bar INcluded as "beverages," or are they EXcluded as though they were a kind of food that must be purchased separately?

2. Have we made any mistakes in thinking that each of the following items would be included, as long as its price is not greater than 10.00 per glass/cup?

a. wine, beer/ale, spirits (rum/gin/vodka/tequila), cocktails, liqueurs, cognacs

b. bottled water

c. fresh-squeezed juice

3. Can soft drinks be requested in cans OR from the fountain -- or is only one of those permitted?

4. This may be a bit too hard to answer, but ... We came across photos of bar menus, and we noticed that some of our favorite spirits were sold at $5.50 per shot. Does this mean that someone with the AIBP could not be served a "double," since that would seem to cost $11.00 (thus over the $10.00 limit). Or is a double-shot's price normally reduced to $10.00 or less?

5. We saw a CruiseCritic official-review-site page (from last December) stating, to our surprise, that the AIBP -- despite being a "beverage" package -- would be covering the cost of gelato and crepes at the International Cafe and wherever else they may be sold. Is this correct, or did CrCr get this one wrong? It was mentioned at the time of Princess's "unveiling" of the AIBP on just two ships.

6. In point #2, have we accidentally omitted anything significant that is included in the package? (We know about the 40% discount on wine in bottles costing under $100.01.)

Yes, to Nos. 1 and 2. Also yes to number 3. You can request a can. You can't get double shots or drinks with the package, just singles. So no to No. 4. We didn't try to buy gelato or creeps at the IC so can't say for sure. We did get the impression those weren't included but I can' t say why we did. We enjoyed mocha frappecinos, vanilla lattes, lots of cappuccinos, and other goodies. In the afternoon on sea days our favorite drinks were dirty bananas or 24 kt margaritas, all included.

I forgot to say that while there is a limited selection of wine on the bar and cocktail menu, there is a more extensive list of wines by the glass at Vines. Before dinner we usually went there and got a glass to take with us to our dining venue

Good evening.

1. Are the milkshakes available at the pizza bar INcluded as "beverages," or are they EXcluded as though they were a kind of food that must be purchased separately? Yes, they're included. Although there are no shakes available at all on Royal or Regal Princess, apparently.

b. bottled water

c. fresh-squeezed juice

All of these are included.

3. Can soft drinks be requested in cans OR from the fountain -- or is only one of those permitted? Either one is allowed.

4. This may be a bit too hard to answer, but ... We came across photos of bar menus, and we noticed that some of our favorite spirits were sold at $5.50 per shot. Does this mean that someone with the AIBP could not be served a "double," since that would seem to cost $11.00 (thus over the $10.00 limit). Or is a double-shot's price normally reduced to $10.00 or less? People have reported that they couldn't get doubles with the all-inclusive package, but it's hard to say if that's a rule or just one particular ship's interpretation.

It only includes food items (gelato, crepes) that can be purchased with a punch from the coffee card, and right now, that's only available on Royal and Regal. Someone on Regal's maiden voyage reported that they couldn't get gelato with the all-inclusive package, but I'm not sure if there have been any updates since then.

I think you've hit all the key points!!

See answers in red above.

They say you can buy for the same price onboard, on day one or day two, but not after that. Is it cheaper on day 2 or same price, and you lost a day of drinking?

Same price regardless.....

None of the drink packages are pro rated so it does not help to wait and purchase a couple of days later.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This all pretty new since we last cruised. It used to be separate cards, one for coffee, one for soft drinks and none for alchoholic beverages.

Is this now a punch card ? How many punches and how much for the card ?

I forgot to say that while there is a limited selection of wine on the bar and cocktail menu, there is a more extensive list of wines by the glass at Vines. Before dinner we usually went there and got a glass to take with us to our dining venue

Thanks for your answers, "Sunviking," and for volunteering the above about Vines. We will plan to do as you did (before dining).

See answers in red above.

Thanks, "likeadisguise," for your answers too. May we ask for one clarification? You stated that the AIBP "only includes food items (gelato, crepes) that can be purchased with a punch from the coffee card, and right now, that's only available on Royal and Regal". Are you saying that only those two ships provide gelato and crepes in return for a coffee-card punch? If so, we would not be surprised, because, when we were on the Ruby and Emerald (in years past), we were not told that the IC's gelato was available for a punch. Also, we don't even remember seeing crepes on those two ships. Where are they prepared?

Edited by jg51

This all pretty new since we last cruised. It used to be separate cards, one for coffee, one for soft drinks and none for alchoholic beverages.

It's a sticker that's on your cruise card. $49/per day + 15% gratuity...

No card for soda either, its a sticker on your CC.

Thanks, "likeadisguise," for your answers too. May we ask for one clarification? You stated that the AIBP "only includes food items (gelato, crepes) that can be purchased with a punch from the coffee card, and right now, that's only available on Royal and Regal". Are you saying that only those two ships provide gelato and crepes in return for a coffee-card punch? If so, we would not be surprised, because, when we were on the Ruby and Emerald (in years past), we were not told that the IC's gelato was available for a punch. Also, we don't even remember seeing crepes on those two ships. Where are they prepared?.

There's a gelateria on Royal and Regal called "Gelato" (http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/rp/amenities_publicrooms/ship_facts/) where you can buy gelato and crepes, and you supposedly can purchase them with a punch of your coffee card. Those are supposed to be included with the all-inclusive beverage package, obviously on those two ships only.

You can't use your coffee card for gelato from the IC on any ship, and it's not part of the all-inclusive beverage package.

There's a gelateria on Royal and Regal called "Gelato" (http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/rp/amenities_publicrooms/ship_facts/) where you can buy gelato and crepes, and you supposedly can purchase them with a punch of your coffee card. Those are supposed to be included with the all-inclusive beverage package, obviously on those two ships only.

You can't use your coffee card for gelato from the IC on any ship, and it's not part of the all-inclusive beverage package.

Now we understand. Thanks again!

Good evening.

b. bottled water

c. fresh-squeezed juice

I realize you have already gotten the answers you desired but I thought I'd comment that this was one of the most complete and coherently worded multi-part inquiries I have ever seen here on CC. Thank you for taking the time and effort to word your post so well.

I realize you have already gotten the answers you desired but I thought I'd comment that this was one of the most complete and coherently worded multi-part inquiries I have ever seen here on CC. Thank you for taking the time and effort to word your post so well.

Yes. A thing of beauty! :)

Agree completely.

Sorry to hijack thread - hope not too late, can post new thread if necessary.

We've booked a 2015 cruise because of an offer to include free beverage cards, although of course there has been a price drop and free credit offer now so not a "free" card at all.

Although we are not heavy drinkers, it will be nice to enjoy a cocktail, wines, beers and speciality coffees etc without having to think about the bill and so we are relaxed about the deal we have.

My question is on cocktails - is there a reasonable range for up to $10? If a desired cocktail is over $10, can you ask for the nearest mocktail version and also for a shot of whatever spirit to stir in yourself?

Thanks.

... My question is on cocktails - is there a reasonable range for up to $10? If a desired cocktail is over $10, can you ask for the nearest mocktail version and also for a shot of whatever spirit to stir in yourself? ...

Hello, "ingatestonian."

If we recall correctly, it is difficult (impossible?) to find a cocktail that is priced above $10 on Princess ships. Here is a set of photos of bar menu pages (plus the Vines Bar wine list) that we found, some time ago, on another CruiseCritic page [thanks to a generous soul]. We haven't looked at them for a while, so we hope that our memory is correct about all (or nearly all) of the prices being below $10.01. Have a look, please:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/ugymeju2.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/ury4y2um.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/juqesera.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/agyry2eq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/u9ytu3ym.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/7u2ymeru.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/eve9ebe3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/ate5e5es.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/ve4emyry.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/19/uqe9eqej.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JcR9_ZpK5p8/Uyov-GIBgSI/AAAAAAAABTw/kAij1KITJUk/w261-h715-no/Wines+by+the+Glass+-+Vines+page+1.jpg

To answer your question about one person ordering both a mocktail and a shot, we suspect that the answer is "no can do" -- because you can order only one drink at a time. As we understand it, however, if two people in the same stateroom have purchased the package, then both of their cards could be used to purchase the two "ingredients" that you mentioned. (We are open to being corrected on this.)

Yes. A thing of beauty! :)

Agree completely.

We humbly thank you for your stunningly kind words, which mean so much to us, because we try very hard to express ourselves clearly!

Good evening.

b. bottled water

c. fresh-squeezed juice

Here are a couple of web sites explaining the system!! :confused: ;)

Cato :)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5769 :D

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/casual_dining/ :D

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California Coastal

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May, 2014, LA - Vancouver one way

I agree - great clarity with your post.

I find that I spend around that much per day when I purchase a glass of Fresh OJ in the morning. A decent type of coffee. 1 or 2 of the drink around the pool on sea days. A couple of glasses of wine (or the wine package for the duration of the cruise), and perhaps a bedtime nip of something!

This will be more relaxing - I can have 2 OJ if I want, more than 1 - 2 of the drink of the day etc - - - just hope someone is nearby if I find the ship is on too much of a lean by the time I am trying to get to my cabin at night!!

Rough seas could take on a whole new meaning.....

i will be getting the package i drink gin so the with the package you can have the top shelf spirits?????? i.e. rather than house gin at $5 you can have hendricks at $7.25 is this correct???

I used my drink sticker for Bombay Sapphire and tonics, so your answer is yes.:)

Hendrick's gin and tonic is my drink of choice and that's what I had with the all-inclusive package on the Emerald Princess cruise which I just took. They even served it to me with a cucumber slice.

There were very few wines by the glass over $10 on the Vines menu and none that I can remember on the regular bar menu. Except for some Cognacs I can't remember seeing any other kind of spirits by the glass, shot or drink that were over the $10 maximum.