AMAPrima Prague to Budapest

sippican

We depart July 29 from Budapest on the M/S River Aria. How are the water levels at this time and what is the weather you are experiencing? I hope you are having a wonderful time.

Water levels are fine at the moment, that can change at any time. We had much rain at the start of the trip, then showers. The temperatures have ranged from quite cool (many had to buy warmer jackets, sweatshirts, etc.), to warm temps in Prague (a bit uncomfortable) and Budapest, 80s.

The entire trip has been amazing!

Edited by sippican

Thanks for the tips so far, do you have a bb/ba category or an ab/aa category cabin? We have a bb cat booked on the prima and I would be interested in any info you have on staying in one of those cabins. Will you be posting some photos on your return?

I wanted to edit my post above but can't. I specifically have cabin 224 which is the farthest bb back on the cello deck, I am trying to figure out if this cabin is smaller or the same size as the other bb's (it looks like it might have a different french balcony than the other bb's but I am unsure about that,) I know from searching for info on this cabin that you had the same questions about that, can you tell now that you are onboard if there are any differences in the bb cabins?

Thanks for the tips so far, do you have a bb/ba category or an ab/aa category cabin? We have a bb cat booked on the prima and I would be interested in any info you have on staying in one of those cabins. Will you be posting some photos on your return?

We stayed in 220. Not sure which cat that is (we are in Budaoest now and that documentation is buried in the bottom of a suitcase). I was able to see a number of cabins because we traveled in a group. Our friends were in 226 (we liked their room more than our twin balcony). Sorry, I do not know about 224 specifically, but if you look at a deck plan and see if they are the same, I can let you know more about 226.

To everyone else, I plan to do much more updating soon. It's 88 today, our third in Budapest - uncomfortably hot. We need to fit in all the rest or our "must dos" before we leave tomorrow!

We stayed in 220. Not sure which cat that is (we are in Budaoest now and that documentation is buried in the bottom of a suitcase). I was able to see a number of cabins because we traveled in a group. Our friends were in 226 (we liked their room more than our twin balcony). Sorry, I do not know about 224 specifically, but if you look at a deck plan and see if they are the same, I can let you know more about 226.

To everyone else, I plan to do much more updating soon. It's 88 today, our third in Budapest - uncomfortably hot. We need to fit in all the rest or our "must dos" before we leave tomorrow!

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your time in Budapest! 226 is a french balcony cabin which is smaller than the bb category twin balcony which is what 224 and 220 are. You will have to let me know more about your cabin when you return:)

Thanks and enjoy the rest of your time in Budapest! 226 is a french balcony cabin which is smaller than the bb category twin balcony which is what 224 and 220 are. You will have to let me know more about your cabin when you return:)

We will have the same cat bb on Sonata and I seem to recall the TA saying that the sq footage of the twin balcony cabins include the balcony area. We wanted just the French balcony but those were sold out. While an actual balcony is a nice idea, I'm not sure just how much we will be able to use it. As for your cabin size question, if you don't get an answer here on CC, maybe a call to AMA will help. Of course the CS rep may just read from the printed info so I guess you will have to be a bit insistent about that cabin in particular. Good luck.

Edited by purduemom1
Spelling correction

We will have the same cat bb on Sonata and I seem to recall the TA saying that the sq footage of the twin balcony cabins include the balcony area. We wanted just the French balcony but those were sold out. While an actual balcony is a nice idea, I'm not sure just how much we will be able to use it. As for your cabin size question, if you don't get an answer here on CC, maybe a call to AMA will help. Of course the CS rep may just read from the printed info so I guess you will have to be a bit insistent about that cabin in particular. Good luck.

Yeah we were going to book a french balcony to save money but they were sold out, it was a bb or a d and I did not want a d. It's going to be freezing on our trip but I'll probably still spend some time out on the balcony so I am glad I have it. I will make sure to take plenty of photos on my trip to post here, the river cruise boards are not as active as the ocean cruising forums and it is difficult to get info.

Looking at the deck plan for Sonata- Prima is a sister ship, there are only 15 french balconies and way more cabins with actual balconies. After reading numerous posts here on CC, I wish it were the reverse. As nice as a balcony might be, considering the cost and nature of a river cruise, I would not mind having only the french balcony. Just the reverse for an ocean cruise....I really want a balcony then.

I'm just returning from a Sonata cruise and I liked the twin balconies. My husband enjoyed sitting outside and was able to shut the door so we did not have to deal with any bugs like we would have if we kept the French balcony opened.

It was our first river cruise and eating in the dining room made me realize I could never be comfortable sailing on the lower deck

I'm just returning from a Sonata cruise and I liked the twin balconies. My husband enjoyed sitting outside and was able to shut the door so we did not have to deal with any bugs like we would have if we kept the French balcony opened.

It was our first river cruise and eating in the dining room made me realize I could never be comfortable sailing on the lower deck

I'm hoping we enjoy our balcony as you did, but since our cruise is in Nov., I'll have to wait and see. Were you often "rafted" to another ship so the balcony was not really usable? Also what was it about the dining room that would keep you from booking a lower deck cabin?

I have certainly enjoyed your review and all the info you passed along. I appreciate the time you spent posting especially after reading how busy everyone is on a river cruise.

I felt the dining room was to close to the waterline .

We did double park a few times. But it did not make the balcony unusable. My husband enjoyed sitting on the balcony and touch the wall of the lockd.

Had to walk through theAvalon Expression . Since we were thinking about Avalon at one point I was glad to see what the ships looked like.

I felt the dining room was to close to the waterline .

We did double park a few times. But it did not make the balcony unusable. My husband enjoyed sitting on the balcony and touch the wall of the lockd.

Had to walk through theAvalon Expression . Since we were thinking about Avalon at one point I was glad to see what the ships looked like.

Since you were on the Sonata, can you tell me how many outlets are available for use (not already used for a lamp or other ship provided item). Thanks.

Regarding the twin balcony vs the French balcony.

As I had mentioned we had an opportunity to visit a few different categories since we booked seven cabins on this trip.

I am a balcony fanatic. We have never cruised without one on our ocean voyages, and I usually snag an aft wrap.

The twin balcony juts into your cabin space, so although those cabins are wider, you do lose actual inside space. The doors to your French balcony in a twin configuration only open about 18". The outside balcony door opens on one side. Truthfully the outside balcony is so tiny, there is only room for the two chairs and small table. We had to do a little choreographed dance whenever we both wanted to go out there just to get around the chairs. When I visited my friends in 226 and saw their entire wall of glass wide open, with plenty of room for their two chairs and table, I decided that was what I preferred. It is also worth noting that the bathrooms are configured differently (along with a "magic glass" window) and the twin bath is a little more spacious. It is certainly a matter of personal choice, and I was glad I had the opportunity to compare. We used our balcony twice. I would not even consider using it while docked alongside another ship, you'd be in dim light, staring at a ship wall or into another's cabin (it's probably lighter on deck 3,) useable but not desire able IMHO. I certainly would not recommend touching the walls of a lock when you are in one, there are many ladders, iron fittings, etc. We had no issue with any type of bugs at all on the entire trip. We did utilize the sun deck spaces as the weather allowed.

if we are ever on this class of ship again, I would take a French balcony as my first choice, but certainly would be very satisfied if I needed to "settle" for a twin. :D

We took a power strip. There was an outlet on the desk which when used with power strip made everything very convenient. To charge. I don't know about other outlets.

We only found an unused outlet behind the TV, we did use the other by the desk lamp if we unplugged the audio sets. A power strip or multiple cube, as we use, is very helpful.

Sippican, that's why they have all different types of cabins. Our room was a larger twin balcony(ab) so we didn't feel we needed extra cabin space at all.We only took that cat because it was only thing available at time we booked but If I ever take another Ama cruise it will be the only type I would book now.

Regarding the twin balcony vs the French balcony.

As I had mentioned we had an opportunity to visit a few different categories since we booked seven cabins on this trip.

I am a balcony fanatic. We have never cruised without one on our ocean voyages, and I usually snag an aft wrap.

The twin balcony juts into your cabin space, so although those cabins are wider, you do lose actual inside space. The doors to your French balcony in a twin configuration only open about 18". The outside balcony door opens on one side. Truthfully the outside balcony is so tiny, there is only room for the two chairs and small table. We had to do a little choreographed dance whenever we both wanted to go out there just to get around the chairs. When I visited my friends in 226 and saw their entire wall of glass wide open, with plenty of room for their two chairs and table, I decided that was what I preferred. It is also worth noting that the bathrooms are configured differently (along with a "magic glass" window) and the twin bath is a little more spacious. It is certainly a matter of personal choice, and I was glad I had the opportunity to compare. We used our balcony twice. I would not even consider using it while docked alongside another ship, you'd be in dim light, staring at a ship wall or into another's cabin (it's probably lighter on deck 3,) useable but not desire able IMHO. I certainly would not recommend touching the walls of a lock when you are in one, there are many ladders, iron fittings, etc. We had no issue with any type of bugs at all on the entire trip. We did utilize the sun deck spaces as the weather allowed.

if we are ever on this class of ship again, I would take a French balcony as my first choice, but certainly would be very satisfied if I needed to "settle" for a twin. :D

Did you take some photos of the two rooms? I would love to see some, it is very hard to find any even doing a google image search.

Thank you Sippican and Stipmom for the info. My adapter only has a single plug so will get a travel power strip.

Sippican, what is the "magic glass" window?

Like both of you, we wanted just the French balcony but they were sold out. Seems like AMA doesn't have very many of these.

Thanks again for your help.

Sharon

Like both of you, we wanted just the French balcony but they were sold out. Seems like AMA doesn't have very many of these.

Many people have expressed fear (or even outrage) about these so-called "fake" balconies that the cruise lines are doing everything they can to squeeze real balconies into their new designs. IMHO the French balcony is the best approach, because of the limited width of the vessels. I think it would be better if they focused on maximizing the openings (a la Scenic's new SpaceShips). But they were probably reacting to the apparent demand.

Many people have expressed fear (or even outrage) about these so-called "fake" balconies that the cruise lines are doing everything they can to squeeze real balconies into their new designs. IMHO the French balcony is the best approach, because of the limited width of the vessels. I think it would be better if they focused on maximizing the openings (a la Scenic's new SpaceShips). But they were probably reacting to the apparent demand.

I agree. I wonder if the request for a real balcony is coming from those who have actually done a river cruise or from those who only have an ocean cruise experience to go by?

In our group of seven cabins we had the following categories: BB, D, C and E. So I was unable to compare any to AB (it seems the extra 25 square feet is in the form of a foot more width). Although the C cabins have a lower square footage listed in the brochure it seemed spacious.

As I had mentioned earlier, we were disappointed that the opening of sliders of the French Balcony doors was so limited. For example, even if we had our French doors open along with the balcony door, we never would have the expansive view and "feeling" of a larger outdoor space. The C cabin is listed as having 40 square feet less than the BB - we'd never have known so from the inside. I can't stress enough that we were very pleased with our cabin, however, having spent some time in the French balcony one, I prefer that set up.

I am sorry I did not take cabin photos (I think I have a couple from inside just looking out of our balcony). The photos I found in the AMA material are quite accurate representations, but they are taken in a panoramic mode so they appear a bit more spacious. The floorplan of the BA & BB only show one chair on the french balcony, we had two in that area (needed to pull one over to the desk).

Regarding he magic glass - here's what happened. There was a "window" on the bathroom wall that faced the bed and balcony. The first time I went in, I asked my DH if he could see me, yes he could. I flipped the switch near the glass, and presto, frosted glass! It was somewhat annoying in the night if one of us got up because there is a sensor in the bathroom that turned on the light with movement. It would make a glow in the cabin and took a while to shut off automatically. It may have been disruptive to a light sleeper. I can't possibly think of a valid reason for this window other than letting a small amount of natural light in or watching the view outside as you sat on the commode :D !

We arrived back in NH after midnight. I will catch up on the ports and other impressions within the next day or so.

In our group of seven cabins we had the following categories: BB, D, C and E. So I was unable to compare any to AB (it seems the extra 25 square feet is in the form of a foot more width). Although the C cabins have a lower square footage listed in the brochure it seemed spacious.

As I had mentioned earlier, we were disappointed that the opening of sliders of the French Balcony doors was so limited. For example, even if we had our French doors open along with the balcony door, we never would have the expansive view and "feeling" of a larger outdoor space. The C cabin is listed as having 40 square feet less than the BB - we'd never have known so from the inside. I can't stress enough that we were very pleased with our cabin, however, having spent some time in the French balcony one, I prefer that set up.

I am sorry I did not take cabin photos (I think I have a couple from inside just looking out of our balcony). The photos I found in the AMA material are quite accurate representations, but they are taken in a panoramic mode so they appear a bit more spacious. The floorplan of the BA & BB only show one chair on the french balcony, we had two in that area (needed to pull one over to the desk).

Regarding he magic glass - here's what happened. There was a "window" on the bathroom wall that faced the bed and balcony. The first time I went in, I asked my DH if he could see me, yes he could. I flipped the switch near the glass, and presto, frosted glass! It was somewhat annoying in the night if one of us got up because there is a sensor in the bathroom that turned on the light with movement. It would make a glow in the cabin and took a while to shut off automatically. It may have been disruptive to a light sleeper. I can't possibly think of a valid reason for this window other than letting a small amount of natural light in or watching the view outside as you sat on the commode :D !

We arrived back in NH after midnight. I will catch up on the ports and other impressions within the next day or so.

Glad to hear that you are safely home with all your awesome memories. Thank you again for taking the time to post while cruising. I look forward to your additional comments especially your review of your time in Budapest and the private tour. Love to know how that went and the sites you saw.

Bratislava - We arrived in this delightful town on a Sunday. The ship docks very close by, a two minute walk and you are there. We elected to not participate in the ship's walking tour as we wanted to relax a bit in the AM. We did use the provided map to see a few of the highlights, basically just taking a leisurely stroll on our own. After speaking with our companions, we didn't miss much by skipping out on the tour, and we really appreciated our own downtime. There were also HOHO bus tours available in the square with cute little red vehicles - no AC. We loved the whimsical statues - great photo ops. We stumbled upon a large, interesting statue in the park just to the right of the dock It seems to depict a soldier dragging an injured comrade (no translation). the tour participants did not stop there so we were left to wonder on the true meaning. What we really did enjoy on this day was the sundeck and pool. They keep the water in the pool heated to a comfortably warm temperature, not quite hot tub, but close. There are jets, but only for water circulation. Plenty of nice heavy pool towels are available in the trunk next to the pool. There are four stools at the swim-up bar, but during our time in the pool, no bar service. We sent someone down to the lounge to order, and the drinks were brought up to us. The ship does have a great bar crew - always service with a smile.

This was the evening of the Captain's Gala Dinner. Most passengers dressed up. There were some sport coats, more shirts and ties, plenty of button-down shirts or golf shirts. Women wore dressier tops and blouses with pants, capris, or skirts, sundresses or simple smart dresses. We observed only a couple of cocktail dresses. Before dinner, the entire crew was introduced, each by name. This was a nice personal touch and an opportunity to meet many who work behind the scenes and express our appreciation with applause. Dinner was great, as always, with a few surprises.

It was announced that we would be passing through our biggest lock around 11:00 pm. Since the weather was so nice, we decided to watch from the sun deck .... in our PJs and the nice terry robes provided in our cabins by AMA. There are also two extra warm fleece balnkets in the cabins, which we hauled up to the top deck. We settled into the comfortable seating areas and asked for bar service from the lounge. Well, before you knew it, others who wandered up decided to join the party, returning to their cabins to don robes and fetch blankets. It was quite a festive atmosphere! After the lock, and a couple of apricot brandy shots, we wandered to our cabins, all ready for bed, looking forward to our arrival in Budapset.

It was announced that we would be passing through our biggest lock around 11:00 pm. Since the weather was so nice, we decided to watch from the sun deck .... in our PJs and the nice terry robes provided in our cabins by AMA. There are also two extra warm fleece balnkets in the cabins, which we hauled up to the top deck. We settled into the comfortable seating areas and asked for bar service from the lounge. Well, before you knew it, others who wandered up decided to join the party, returning to their cabins to don robes and fetch blankets. It was quite a festive atmosphere! After the lock, and a couple of apricot brandy shots, we wandered to our cabins, all ready for bed, looking forward to our arrival in Budapset.

When folks who haven't done a river cruise ask about entertainment, we should send them to this post! What a great way to end the day. :)

Edited by Host Jazzbeau