Price Drop

Belfastlad

Hello

I am just off the phone with P&O customer services, was enquiring if we would get an upgrade or extra OBC as the price we paid for our cruise had reduced significantly. We booked the select fare. Have been told 'NO, prices are fluid', and if the price went up they would not be asking for more money. Quite cheeky I thought but fare enough.

Am just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

On our previous cruises with Cunard, any price change was always refunded as OBC. I thought Carnival owned P&O also. :confused:

Thousands have suffered in the same way so you are not alone. P&O is owned by Carnival but run as an independent company from Cunard and when you received extra OBC if the price dropped was under the old Vantage rules which no longer exist with either Cunard or P&O.

Hello

I am just off the phone with P&O customer services, was enquiring if we would get an upgrade or extra OBC as the price we paid for our cruise had reduced significantly. We booked the select fare. Have been told 'NO, prices are fluid', and if the price went up they would not be asking for more money. Quite cheeky I thought but fare enough.

On our previous cruises with Cunard, any price change was always refunded as OBC. I thought Carnival owned P&O also. :confused:

Goodness gracious how come people always find this forum to moan ,when there is a price drop in their cruise, but they never seem to find it before they book, that mentions time and time and time again.

The nearer to the cruise date, prices drop.

These cheaper fares ALWAYS come with different t and c , therefore it is not the same "product" you would be purchasing.

Goodness gracious how come people always find this forum to moan ,when there is a price drop in their cruise, but they never seem to find it before they book, that mentions time and time and time again.

These cheaper fares ALWAYS come with different t and c , therefore it is not the same "product" you would be purchasing.

I think we are entitled to 'moan' as we were led to beleive that if the price of our cruise, 'SELECT FARE' which we booked, not the saver fare dropped then as in previous cruises the difference would be reimbursed as OBC.

I think we are entitled to 'moan' as we were led to beleive that if the price of our cruise, 'SELECT FARE' which we booked, not the saver fare dropped then as in previous cruises the difference would be reimbursed as OBC.

Select fare = old Vantage fare without the price promise. That's precisely why they introduced the new fare structure.

Who was it who led you to believe that the Select fare had a price promise? If it was with whom you made your booking then that is who you should be moaning to and maybe more than moaning if you were miss-sold the product.

I have just had a look at the t and c for a select fare...nowhere did it state if the price of the select fare drops you get extra obc .

As OP has already said, when he queried it with pando, if the price of the select fare had gone up(which they sometimes do),would you have paid us the difference.

No-seems to be a one way path here.

They did give some select fares extra obc, a while back when they tried to "reduce" the select fare by give huge chunks of obc. However they seem to have learnt from that .

Hello

I suspect your last cruise with Cunard was at a Vantage fare when you got your extra OBC. Cunard and P&O now use exactly the same fare structure. They are much closer now than they ever have been, same office one up one down. I would be very surprised if some of the back room activities cover both lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Select fare = old Vantage fare without the price promise. That's precisely why they introduced the new fare structure.

Who was it who led you to believe that the Select fare had a price promise? If it was with whom you made your booking then that is who you should be moaning to and maybe more than moaning if you were miss-sold the product.

It is now being sorted by our TA. My own fault really as I also should have read the small print. Did not realise the T & C's had been 'restructered'. LESSON LEARNT. Maybe we'll have the luck of the Irish and be touched by the upgrade fairy ;)

I think we're on the same Baltic cruise. We ARE over 60 (just) , I'm a little bit on the cuddly side and OH likes a beer or two. We don't smoke and I don't consider us to be uncouth!!!! We've done a number of cruises and this is the first on Arcadia. I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll all have a lovely time (as always):)

Sorry, wrong thread!!

My favourite post on here ever. Made me smile and not only because its on the wrong thread. Hope you have a great cruise.

Thousands have suffered in the same way so you are not alone. P&O is owned by Carnival but run as an independent company from Cunard and when you received extra OBC if the price dropped was under the old Vantage rules which no longer exist with either Cunard or P&O.

Strange however that Princess, which is also owned by Carnival, is able to honour any price drops they initiate, which goes a long way in keeping their early booking customers happy.

I think we're on the same Baltic cruise. We ARE over 60 (just) , I'm a little bit on the cuddly side and OH likes a beer or two. We don't smoke and I don't consider us to be uncouth!!!! We've done a number of cruises and this is the first on Arcadia. I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure we'll all have a lovely time (as always):)

Sorry, wrong thread!!

Thank you and what a tonic. Cuddles all round ;)

Strange however that Princess, which is also owned by Carnival, is able to honour any price drops they initiate, which goes a long way in keeping their early booking customers happy.

I agree 100% that is why after doing over 20+ cruises since 2000 we now cruise with Princess. They do not have silly names to confuse I booked a deal at £899 for 14 nts to the Med in September in May which wass not brochure price and because price came down and OBC was increased before my final payment all it took was a phone call to TA and it was all agreed and sorted with new invoice in 24 hrs. Also as a last statement when I booked I chose my cabin number and selected my dining which overall is far superior to what P&O/Cunard do.

I agree 100% that is why after doing over 20+ cruises since 2000 we now cruise with Princess. They do not have silly names to confuse I booked a deal at £899 for 14 nts to the Med in September in May which wass not brochure price and because price came down and OBC was increased before my final payment all it took was a phone call to TA and it was all agreed and sorted with new invoice in 24 hrs. Also as a last statement when I booked I chose my cabin number and selected my dining which overall is far superior to what P&O/Cunard do.

Sorry they are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts it is because they are classed as an American firm and have to do it by law.

I would agree that it would make it a more even playing field if all companies did the same.

Edited by daiB

It is now being sorted by our TA. My own fault really as I also should have read the small print. Did not realise the T & C's had been 'restructered'. LESSON LEARNT. Maybe we'll have the luck of the Irish and be touched by the upgrade fairy ;)

As you stated in your original post........."fare enough"

Sorry they are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts it is because they are classed as an American firm and have to do it by law.

I would agree that it would make it a more even playing field if all companies did the same.

Nobody ever said that they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts just a pity P&O/Cunard cannot do the same instead of stupid fare names and rules just to confuse passengers and even going back 9yrs when we first sailed on Arcadia and after a price drop all P&O could say was tough like it or lump it or cancel and lose your deposit and rebook. I know you stick up for P&O to the hilt and wont have a wrong word said about them but sorry the way they treat there loyal customers is disgusting.

Edited by majortom10

Nobody ever said that they were doing it out of the goodness of their hearts just a pity P&O/Cunard cannot do the same instead of stupid fare names and rules just to confuse passengers and even going back 9yrs when we first sailed on Arcadia and after a price drop all P&O could say was tough like it or lump it or cancel and lose your deposit and rebook. I know you stick up for P&O to the hilt and wont have a wrong word said about them but sorry the way they treat there loyal customers is disgusting.

I am not sticking up for them at all. The US lines do what they do only because it is the law in the US which is why US lines have been offering cheaper fares than P&O or Cunard for years. Certainly since I started cruising in 2001.

What I was saying that the US lines are forced to offer cheaper fares if they drop the prices before the full payment is made. After the full payment then there is no come back and the prices drop like a stone up to 85% off in some cases.

I am not sticking up for them at all. The US lines do what they do only because it is the law in the US which is why US lines have been offering cheaper fares than P&O or Cunard for years. Certainly since I started cruising in 2001.

What I was saying that the US lines are forced to offer cheaper fares if they drop the prices before the full payment is made. After the full payment then there is no come back and the prices drop like a stone up to 85% off in some cases.

Dai, I'm reasonably certain that the current Princess price drop matching "for UK bookings" has not been in operation since 2001. It certainly has operated this way for US bookings since Adam was a lad, but if you check with your TA I think you will find that this has only started applying to UK bookings fairly recently.

You should also note that Princess UK has a totally different set of T&C's than those in the US, because here they have to meet ABTA standards, so I don't think your assertion that price drop matching is because they are a US company is valid.

Celebrity are also now advertising a "fair price" promise on their UK website which seems to suggest they would honour price drops. But I have no information as to whether this does apply, and from my own early booking experience with them I have never seen any lower prices advertised for a similar grade cabin, except for very last minute special offers well after final balance has been paid.

IMO I think that P&O and Cunard need to wake up and realise that they also should be giving their early bookers a much better deal than they do, despite the improvement with the new Select fares.

Reference these price structure, we booked a cruise in February paying the full price, with free parking and OBS when we booked the cruise we was happy with the price. I guess when you book early there are benefits because for the same cruise this has gone up £150 more. When you book for a cruise you must of been happy to pay the price. It very much like shopping I'm afraid you purchase a washing machine, a couple of months later the price has drop do you go into the shop and complain about the price you paid. Handing any money over when purchasing anything.....you must of been happy paying for that price in the first place or else you would of never agreed to make that purchase!!!!! I am afraid holiday structure are the same in a logical way. Simple way of thinking you wait for the sales and your not always guaranteed your requirement....

This failed pricing sturcture caused a lot of damage, there has been a lot of threads like this. It looks as though they failured to estimate the high plunge in prices as the cruises got nearer to sailing, meaning you got earlier bookings being slaughtered and late bookings pocketing a bargain and the company doing little/nothing about it. I suspect those who came up with it have had a few acheaches over this, possibly worse.

Princess Cruises honour prices up to 90 days prior as long as you haven't paid the balance and it's a promotion you can move onto (usually is) it often saves thousands or atleast several hundred, if it can't be done they look to upgrade.

It is all Carnival UK but it's different company policy, one P&O is probably regreating they even installed.

Reference these price structure, we booked a cruise in February paying the full price, with free parking and OBS when we booked the cruise we was happy with the price. I guess when you book early there are benefits because for the same cruise this has gone up £150 more. When you book for a cruise you must of been happy to pay the price. It very much like shopping I'm afraid you purchase a washing machine, a couple of months later the price has drop do you go into the shop and complain about the price you paid. Handing any money over when purchasing anything.....you must of been happy paying for that price in the first place or else you would of never agreed to make that purchase!!!!! I am afraid holiday structure are the same in a logical way. Simple way of thinking you wait for the sales and your not always guaranteed your requirement....

No but dont tell me if for the price of a phone call to your TA or P&O they would reduce the price to the new lower price and/or give you extra OBC you would not bother to make that phone call of course you would.

No but dont tell me if for the price of a phone call to your TA or P&O they would reduce the price to the new lower price and/or give you extra OBC you would not bother to make that phone call of course you would.

And if the select price goes up, can you also phone up pando or TA and offer to pay the increased amount.

I thought the T and C we had in the UK were a lot worse than the Americans have.I also thought it was more a case of hands tied behind the back as by law the UK could not offer the same.

Thing is if select fare purchasers want price drops honoured , and saver fare purchasers want the cheapest fare possible, where does that leave P and O.

£100pppn is a fair price to pay. less than that and you get this sort of comment

selected my dining which overall is far superior to what P&O/Cunard do.

I am sure Princess charge for things that P and O don't, and what they do charge for is probably more expensive.

We never know what the base line profit is for the cruise lines, but one assumes if they can't get you with the lead in price they will get you other ways. Their costs must be on a par with ours so one assumes if you worked it all out overall the costing to the customer/line is probably there or thereabouts.

We do not want them chasing down to the lowest price.

I am sure Princess charge for things that P and O don't, and what they do charge for is probably more expensive.

We never know what the base line profit is for the cruise lines, but one assumes if they can't get you with the lead in price they will get you other ways. Their costs must be on a par with ours so one assumes if you worked it all out overall the costing to the customer/line is probably there or thereabouts.

We do not want them chasing down to the lowest price.

EL, You are probably correct in assuming that P&O and Cunard make a similar overall profit margin to Princess, Celebrity and Royal Carib. Where the difference comes in is that P&O/Cunard make huge profit margins on early bookers, and miniscule profits on late savers. Whereas Princess and the others make very similar profit margins on the majority of their passengers. You may of course feel that this is good business practice for the former, personally I think it only breeds discontent which manifests itself in the dinner table conversations on P&O or on these forums.

How do we know they make good profit on select fares and barely any profit on savers.

If you have £100pppn as your benchmark, some cabins on some cruises come in at nearly half that, so very very little profit there.

I never discuss what I paid for a cruise at the dining table. Too boring....now politics is a good discussion.

How do we know they make good profit on select fares and barely any profit on savers.

If you have £100pppn as your benchmark, some cabins on some cruises come in at nearly half that, so very very little profit there.

I never discuss what I paid for a cruise at the dining table. Too boring....now politics is a good discussion.

Would you believe it there are 2 threads on the same topic which are being commented on at the same time, this one has some people how dreadful it is, moan moan. And the other has everyone saying there is no price promise and you should just get on with it and if you were happy...etc.

I hope the threads don't meet down a dark ally cos there will be blood splattered everywhere.

Would you believe it there are 2 threads on the same topic which are being commented on at the same time, this one has some people how dreadful it is, moan moan. And the other has everyone saying there is no price promise and you should just get on with it and if you were happy...etc.

I hope the threads don't meet down a dark ally cos there will be blood splattered everywhere.

Tee Hee very good Dai.

Hopefully if they meet it will be on a formal night and they will not want to mess their dresses up!!!