Confused about Transfers

Sailing away soon

Thanks Jim..I didnt have time to look it up but I NEVER heard of transfers being included without the hotel package from Oceania..

Jancruz1

Was it not a perk on the segments of the world cruise?

I am thinking that OP's cruise is the one that's identified on page 16 (on Nautica) of this link: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/direct-mail/2014-15-Winter-Open.pdf

Several, including the one which I think is the OP's, include transfers but not a hotel.

If there's nothing you can do about it, it might be worth asking yourself OP why you need to arrive one day early and stay one day later and whether this is enough to warrant the hassle of the value of the transfers.

One day early's not really going to acclimatize you thaaat much on a 15+ hour flight, and especially as you have almost 2 months of cruising to enjoy! If you're worried about the flights you'll be assigned, you can do a deviation which last I recall is $175 per person which should be competitive to what you'd be spending using your miles, no?

Anyway, just a suggestion.

I copied & pasted the promotion for the OP's cruise as well as the link to their cruise ( see post #19)

If anyone cared to look

it states transfers are included with an *

looking at the fine print I could not see anything to say if you booked your own air you could NOT use the transfers

The OP could just say they are arriving on their own the same day as the cruise & be on the list for the transfers ;)

Edited by LHT28

Lyn, I have heard about a lot of perks but I doubt there were transfers included if they dont have their air the day of departure..if there were someone wasnt thinking

Jancruz1

Jan

I am sure the transfers are for the arrival day & departure day to/from the airport

But the OP is willing to go to the airport in both cases to get the included transfers

whether it is a good plan or not is not for me to say ;)

Lyn

I am thinking that OP's cruise is the one that's identified on page 16 (on Nautica) of this link: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/documents/direct-mail/2014-15-Winter-Open.pdf

Several, including the one which I think is the OP's, include transfers but not a hotel.

Shopperfiend is correct; the brochure describes several voyages in which the transfers are included. However, the entire section starting on page 16 is in regards to Grand Voyages. Investigating further, at the very end of that brochure is a link to Oceania's Terms & Conditions. On that page, there is a link to Promotional Terms & Conditions (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx)

There, we find the following:

FOR THE AROUND THE WORLD IN 180 DAYS CRUISE (MIAMI TO MIAMI | INSIGNIA | JANUARY 10, 2015), THE 180-DAY WORLD ODYSSEY CRUISE (MIAMI TO MIAMI | INSIGNIA | JULY 8, 2015) AND GRAND VOYAGES ONLY:

*Standard terms apply, in addition: Free first class, roundtrip airfare is for US and Canada gateways only. Roundtrip transfers are restricted to guests utilizing the pre-cruise hotel stay and for those residents within 50 miles of PortMiami.

[emphasis mine]

So, unless the OP has booked their hotel through Oceania, the transfers do not apply. Sorry, but them's the rules; all you need to do is read.

Edited by hondorner

"I spoke to CJ at Oceania and he stated after talking to management that they will only give transfers to people who arrive by plane on the day of departure and leave by plane on day of ending arrival. If you are not arriving or departing by plane on the exact days they will not provide transfers to or from airport and clients will be on their own for the transfers. He stated they do not make exception and must be this way. Sorry that this is not what you wanted to hear." This policy begs the question what Business or Safety concerns back this a good decision?

Shopperfiend is correct; the brochure describes several voyages in which the transfers are included. However, the entire section starting on page 16 is in regards to Grand Voyages. Investigating further, at the very end of that brochure is a link to Oceania's Terms & Conditions. On that page, there is a link to Promotional Terms & Conditions (http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx)

There, we find the following:

FOR THE AROUND THE WORLD IN 180 DAYS CRUISE (MIAMI TO MIAMI | INSIGNIA | JANUARY 10, 2015), THE 180-DAY WORLD ODYSSEY CRUISE (MIAMI TO MIAMI | INSIGNIA | JULY 8, 2015) AND GRAND VOYAGES ONLY:

*Standard terms apply, in addition: Free first class, roundtrip airfare is for US and Canada gateways only. Roundtrip transfers are restricted to guests utilizing the pre-cruise hotel stay and for those residents within 50 miles of PortMiami. [emphasis mine]

So, unless the OP has booked their hotel through Oceania, the transfers do not apply. Sorry, but them's the rules; all you need to do is read.

Two observations:

1. The last phrase of the part you quoted is for residents living within 50 miles of Miami port, obviously without reference to flight arrival date. Unless the sentence means you have to book a pre-cruise hotel (in Miami) *and* live within 50 miles of Miami port, which sounds ridiculous.

2. I understood that it was *already* O's policy to include transfers if pre/post-cruise hotels were booked with O, so advertising this as a "bonus" perk when it isn't really a bonus is a bit misleading (unless that policy has since been eliminated but that doesn't seem to be the case).

However, OP's responded that they are simply the rules so I guess the answer why is "just because". That's too bad but at least OP knows and can plan accordingly (perhaps consider changing hotels from near the respective airports to near the cruise terminals?).

...1. The last phrase of the part you quoted is for residents living within 50 miles of Miami port, obviously without reference to flight arrival date. Unless the sentence means you have to book a pre-cruise hotel (in Miami) *and* live within 50 miles of Miami port, which sounds ridiculous.

It sounds ridiculous, until you realize that phrase covers both the Grand Voyages that are part of the World Cruise, and the WC itself. In the latter case, there are no flights involved except getting to Miami and

from Miami to home. For those of us who live within driving distance (but more than 50 miles), the hotel stay is great.

First of all, if the distance from the port is more than 50 miles, the luggage transfer is only from the hotel. That means that we can get the luggage to the hotel the day before, on a much more relaxed schedule, and enjoy boarding without worrying about the luggage, plus they will transport us from the hotel to the ship.

Then, the pre-cruise hotel stay will be a great opportunity to meet our fellow World Cruisers before boarding. Once aboard, that group will be nearly impossible to identify among the segment cruisers. There are around 90 on the Cruise Critic Roll Call just before final payment, with few indicating they will cancel, an an untold number not on Cruise Critic.

And, of course, one of the perks for those on the full cruise is the pre-cruise hotel is included in the fare. Why not use it?

Normally I drive straight to the port, but I will certainly be using the hotel in this situation.

What about the other Grand Voyages that do not start in Miami??

The wording is open to interpretation which is subjective

To me, the wording is the wording. Unless they spell out the differences, which they did not, then the restriction applies to all Grand Voyages, whether it makes sense or not.

But then, that might be the side of me that always wanted to be an attorney...:rolleyes:

*Standard terms apply, in addition: Free first class, roundtrip airfare is for US and Canada gateways only. Roundtrip transfers are restricted to guests utilizing the pre-cruise hotel stay and for those residents within 50 miles of PortMiami.

To me, the wording is the wording. Unless they spell out the differences, which they did not, then the restriction applies to all Grand Voyages, whether it makes sense or not.

But then, that might be the side of me that always wanted to be an attorney...:rolleyes:

Hi Don,

If the wording is the wording Don, I guess you won't be getting transfers when you stay in the hotel prior to your cruise. I have pasted above your quote your quote of the policy which to paraphrase states that you must utilize the pr-cruise hotel AND be within 50 miles of Miami.

You only meet one of the two criteria as you don't live within 50 miles of Miami and neither do most of the people on that cruise.

As Lyn correctly stated, the wording is open to interpretation and subjective and in regards to the requirements for transfers as and signifies both requirements need to be met thus it should state and/or.

So if you want to take the wording as written, better arrange your transfers to the ship. By the way, ambiguity is construed against the writer so if one writes requirement, contract, policy, term & condition, etc., better make sure it is clear what is written. In this case it is clear that both hotel and location are required to get the transfers.

so according to your side that always to be an attorney only GV that start in Miami qualify for the included transfers if the passengers live within 50 miles of POM ...correct ?

That certainly limits the included transfers for those sailings

more smoke & mirrors by O

;)

Edited by LHT28

I'm still scratching my head ... I would think that the majority of people uitilizing the hotel package would live further away from Miami than 50 miles ... what is their incentive to use the hotel package if they can't have the transfer?

It's a puzzlement!

I'm not affected you understand since I'm not booked on any of the pertinent cruises.

Mura

I'm still scratching my head ... I would think that the majority of people uitilizing the hotel package would live further away from Miami than 50 miles ...

Mura

Mura

if they use Oceania's hotel package they still get the transfers but if you take the wording it does sound they have to meet the criteria of also living within 50 miles of POM

It should be "and /or" seems they people that write the rules do not proof read ;)

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

That was the way I first read it, too, Lyn, but according to Dave:

I have pasted above your quote your quote of the policy which to paraphrase states that you must utilize the pr-cruise hotel AND be within 50 miles of Miami.

Now I have to believe that the intention is that using the pre-cruise hotel qualifies you for the transfers. But that doesn't appear to be the way the requirements are worded.

Assuming Dave quoted the rule correctly, and I DO assume that.

Unless, perhaps what is meant that you use the hotel package OR live within 50 miles of Miami?

I'm still scratching my head ...

Mura

Apparently!!! It would help if someone at O clarifies this issue!

I'm just glad I'm not depending on a free transfer to one of these voyages! So far we've never been on a "grand voyage" and given Howard's allergies to anything more than two weeks, if I ever take one it will have to be by myself!

(Not that he gets away with two week cruises ... and when you count pre- and post-cruise days in ports, it's usually more like three weeks away. If he consented to a 30 days cruise, then we'd be away even longer, wouldn't we?)

Mura

Edited by Mura

Well, just to muddy the waters further....Len and I are booked on the WC segment and among the amenities listed is "complimentary...transfer", so yes, I will expect the transfers if we arrive in Shanghai the day of boarding, which is highly possible due to other obligations, and when we leave Papeete the day of debarkation. I would not expect the complimentary transfers if we were doing an air deviation and arriving early or leaving late, but if it's not so, what's the point of adding it to the amenity package? Marlene

That was the way I first read it, too, Lyn, but according to Dave:

I have pasted above your quote your quote of the policy which to paraphrase states that you must utilize the pr-cruise hotel AND be within 50 miles of Miami.

Now I have to believe that the intention is that using the pre-cruise hotel qualifies you for the transfers. But that doesn't appear to be the way the requirements are worded.

Assuming Dave quoted the rule correctly, and I DO assume that.

Unless, perhaps what is meant that you use the hotel package OR live within 50 miles of Miami?

I'm still scratching my head ...

Mura

Mura, I simply copied and pasted Don's post of what the policy is so cannot claim any knowledge if it is correctly quoted from O's policy or not. As Lyn pointed out, the wording as written does provide a conundrum on what makes sense and don't believe they mean what is written so expect some correction/clarification from the home office.

Dave, I thought that was probably the case ... I was trying to hedge my bets since I did not take the time myself to go to the original source.

I agree that if that is the way it's written, it could be clearer!

Mura

A week ago today I sent an email to Oceania's customer service to find out the official response. Still have not heard but will post when I get an answer. I expect that it will be any day now.

Don't bet on it :D

You are better to phone them if you want an answer this year

Thank you for getting back to me. One of our cruise incentives are complimentary transfers. When we called Oceania to find out about upgrading our air to business using miles we were told we would have to go through our travel agent. Going from us to the travel agent to Oceania’s air department back to the travel agent and back to us and finally to the airlines frankly makes the process too cumbersome and too many steps for something to go wrong so we opted to arrive one day early and leave one day later. It was easy enough to get hotels near the airports that proved transfers to and from the airport. I have read all the small print in the brochure and searched the web site for restrictions on transfers as are outlined in your email. I could not find the restrictions on any Oceania’s legal documentation including the ticket contract. If we had known that of restrictions on transfers we could have arranged our air differently.

“Cruise Only bookings (without our air) with guests who have made their own flight arrangements require special arrangements. Guest must provide flight information in order to book transfers if they are not booking flights through our air department. One of the reasons is that our transfers are scheduled according to passengers air information. Our Ground Operators have the specific arrival information for each guest that have purchased transfers though Oceania. This will guarantee that the guest will not be wandering around in unfamiliar surroundings, run the misfortune of getting lost, and consequently missing the transfer coach that would deliver them and their luggage to the Vessel safely.” By arranging transfer times with Oceania in advance would serve the same notification to the Ground Operators. I would think it would be better to be wandering around an unfamiliar airport than an unfamiliar city.

“Regarding your comment that “When I asked I got responses just pick a flight time that you like” please note that this is totally unacceptable response for our guests and I apologize for anyone that answered that way as it is incorrect and you should have been advised of our policy.” We are not liars so this was a no go for us from the start. What makes their comments most interesting is that no one knew of the transfer rules.

“Please also be aware that every guest also has the option of purchasing private transfers and those transfers are scheduled according to the guests schedule and convenience.” Are you saying here if we pay for transfers instead of getting them as one of the incentives for our cruise that we can have transfers through Oceania?

To summarize we are not asking for Oceania to provide transfers outside of the time and place that they are already providing transfers. Oceania’s brochures, fliers, and legal documentation do not list this flight on the day only rule. Having people pay for transfers when it was an incentive to purchase a cruise, if it is even, allowed does not appear to be good customer service.

We are asking Oceania to reconsider the decision on transfers.

Respectfully

Teri LaTulippe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Miriam Valladares" <MValladares@oceaniacruises.com>

Sent: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:53:40 AM

Subject: RE: Your Oceania Cruises Contact Request - Transfer Inquiry

Hello:

Thank you for contacting the Special Services Department.

Your email was forwarded to me for a response. Firstly please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your email. Our inquiries are answered in the order they are received and some inquiries may require some research and we do make every effort to respond in a timely fashion.

In keeping with Oceania policy that the safety and security of our guests is our foremost concern is one of the reasons why we do not allow that transfers be sold to guests that do not have AIR arrangements the same day of embarkation or that have not reserved Oceania Air arrangements.

Cruise Only bookings (without our air) with guests who have made their own flight arrangements require special arrangements. Guest must provide flight information in order to book transfers if they are not booking flights through our air department. One of the reasons is that our transfers are scheduled according to passengers air information. Our Ground Operators have the specific arrival information for each guest that have purchased transfers though Oceania. This will guarantee that the guest will not be wandering around in unfamiliar surroundings, run the misfortune of getting lost, and consequently missing the transfer coach that would deliver them and their luggage to the Vessel safely.

Regarding your comment that “When I asked I got responses just pick a flight time that you like” please note that this is totally unacceptable response for our guests and I apologize for anyone that answered that way as it is incorrect and you should have been advised of our policy.

This information applies to both pre and post cruise transfers. If a guest does not have flight information for their return, the transfers can be purchased on the ship and the air details for departure will be provided to the Transfer operators by the Ship staff. Please also be aware that every guest also has the option of purchasing private transfers and those transfers are scheduled according to the guests schedule and convenience.

I certainly hope this explanation clarifies the concerns you had regarding our transfer policy.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I may further assist.

Best Regards,

Miriam Valladares

Special Services Coordinator

Oceania Cruises

8300 NW 33rd Street | Suite 100 | Miami, FL 33122

Office: +1 800 531 5658 | +1 305 514 2300 ext 2181 | Fax: +1 305 514 2222

mvalladares@oceaniacruises.com

http://www.OceaniaCruises.com

Your World. Your Way.®

Award-Winning Mid-Size Ships | Destination Specialists | Finest Cuisine At Sea | Country Club Casual Ambiance | Extraordinary Value

facebook.giftwitter.gifblogger.gif

Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:25 AM

To: Special Services

Subject: Re: Your Oceania Cruises Contact Request - Transfer Inquiry

On July 15 I sent a request to find out why a person has to arrive and depart on an airplane on the same day of embarkation and when the ship docks to use the transfers. As long as the passenger is at the airport when you are already transporting people to and from the airport what is the business or safety concern that makes this rule logical. The people on cruise critic are generally the most knowledgeable and best cheerleaders for Oceania so I thought they would know the reasoning. When I asked I got responses just pick a flight time that you like and say that you are on that flight, or just show up or the most dreaded words from child hood "Just because". I said that I would ask Oceania directly and post your response. It has now been a week and I have not heard from Oceania, how long does it usually take to get a response?

Thank you for taking the time to find out the answer.

Teri LaTulippe

I understand that it seems to not make sense that if you are willing to get yourself back to the airport on the embarkation day, why O will not commit to providing you with the free transfers. There is one thing that is worth considering on this, and that is O may be unwilling to commit to this, because if circumstances make them unable to fulfill it at the time, they would upset you further. By not being able to fulfill it, what I mean is that if you are not able to enter the airport from the exterior to meet up with the transfer person at baggage claim, or the like, and then you miss the transfer. There are lots of airports where people are not allowed to enter the airport main doors without a ticket for that day's travel, such as most airports in India and in Costa Rica, as well as others.