Mariner -29th July - Israel

Not sure if anybody can assist, we are sailing on 29th July from Istanbul to Athens - with a 3 day stop in Haifa Israel. Given the current issues in Israel does anybody have any experience of whether it might be pulled as a stop and what a Regent might do?

I know this is a but like gazing into a crystal ball, but having done all of the other ports on this cruise a few times before - Israel was to be the high point and the reason for booking - the cruise was also supposed to stop in Egypt but that also got pulled last year.

Not complaining at all as safety is paramount, but I just wondered how a regent might play this and when we might get informed of any changes to the routing?

We are booked on an excursion to the Dead Sea which is on my bucket list, this being the second time I have tried to float in it. The first time we were in Jordan on a weeks tour culminating in a couple of days at the Dead Sea - unfortunately it was too rough and we weren't allowed in...... One day.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you will NOT be stopping in Israel. In my opinion...I would not want to be there at this time and I would change plans. I guess you would forfeit the whole cruise, but your life must be worth a lot more than a stop is Israel.

Totally agree, as I said in my post safety is of paramount importance, however what I am keen to understand is when Regent are likely to advise us, so that we can make informed choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Truthfully, I wouldn't be too concerned about your stop in Israel. You dock in Haifa, out of rocket range. I know you are set on Dead Sea (out of rocket range) but the whole north of the country is fantastic; also out of rocket range. I love traveling in Israel and have been both when tensions have been high and low; you will have a great time.

However, if they do take Israel off your itinerary, then Regent will have gutted both your itinerary (taking both Egypt and Israel off) and the next itinerary to Black Sea; no wonder there is plenty of room on both trips.

Marc

My DH and I have been talking about it for the last couple of days and to be honest even if they pull Israel - I am still really looking forward to it wherever we end up.

This will be our third Regent Cruise - first on Mariner, and it will be great to just enjoy the rest and relaxation / even if they give us 3 additional sea days- I will make the most of it!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Regent will make changes if they consider it dangerous. We were scheduled for a stop in Tunis when the Arab spring broke out. Regent changed this and we went to Malta instead which we really enjoyed and was extremely interesting. Bon Voyage.

We were also scheduled on this cruise and very upset about the way Regent has handled the situation in Israel. What do you think about the 'substitute' ports? I would really appreciate hearing from others that were scheduled on this cruise. :mad:

We were also scheduled on this cruise and very upset about the way Regent has handled the situation in Israel. What do you think about the 'substitute' ports? I would really appreciate hearing from others that were scheduled on this cruise.

Willow gate - we feel the same about how this is being handled. The substitute ports aren't that brilliant and have 3 excursions at each port which all seen to be variations on the same place - they all appear to be looking at archeological sites - which isn't what I want to do. They also said we had to book them at least 7 days prior to boarding.

I am really not impressed we booked this cruise to go to Egypt and Israel and I now appear to be going to Greece and Turkey! The itinery is completely different from what I booked but apparently I have no recourse and basically tough I have to take it or loose my money.

I booked this as soon as the cruise came out as I wanted to see Egypt and Israel. They then dropped the Egypt port, but I thought no problem at least we are going to Israel. They then dropped the price significantly by £2.2k each and would not offer a refund on the difference, only an upgrade to a penthouse but wouldn't give me the free hotel night before and business class flights even though with the past passenger discount I got originally, the price was roughly the same. This means I am flying in on the morning of departure meaning I have to leave home at 2am in order to make the flight, so at this point I have a very bitter taste for my luxury experience.

Of course I appreciate safety is of paramount importance and realise it must be extremely difficult to put new ports in at such short notice along with excursions but my TA called to see if they were going to offer anything at all and was told a resounding no! I honestly don't think this new routing is worth the money I am paying and feel bad about that.

Anyway nothing I can do apparently so I have to put up and shut up!

Edited by englandsrose

I would be really upset too. A cruise to Greece and Turkey is a totally different one that to Egypt and Israel. And you are just stuck apparently. It isn't regent's fault as they are just trying to be safe. But it still stinks.

We have a cruise to Israel scheduled for september 2015. Hopefully things will have calmed down by that time, but I will be watching closely before final payment is due.

Thank you for your reply. Has Oceania given 'substitute' ports? At least Oceania gave more than a 'week' notice to their people!

This is what was posted yesterday on the "O" board:

Itinerary Update

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

Oceania Cruises’ primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and onboard staff. We have been carefully monitoring the ongoing situation in Israel. In an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to cancel our upcoming call into Jerusalem (Haifa), Israel on the Riviera sailing September 8, 2014.

Below is the revised day-by-day itinerary which incorporates calls to Alanya, Turkey and the Greek Isles. Shore excursions for the new ports will be available within the next few days.

Date

Day

Port

Country

Arrival

Departure

Original Port

8-Sep-14

Mon

Barcelona

Spain

6:00 PM

9-Sep-14

Tue

At Sea

10-Sep-14

Wed

Valletta

Malta

9:00 AM

11-Sep-14

Thu

At Sea

12-Sep-14

Fri

Aghios Nikolaos (Crete)

Greece

8:00 AM

4:00 PM

13-Sep-14

Sat

Antalya

Turkey

10:00 AM

11:59 PM

14-Sep-14

Sun

Alanya

Turkey

At Sea

15-Sep-14

Mon

Limassol

Cyprus

Jerusalem (Haifa), Israel

16-Sep-14

Tue

Rhodes

Greece

9:00 AM

11:00 PM

17-Sep-14

Wed

Patmos

Greece

10:00 PM

18-Sep-14

Thu

Santorini

Greece

7:00 PM

Limassol, Cyprus

19-Sep-14

Fri

Mykonos

Greece

8:00 PM

Rhodes, Greece

20-Sep-14

Sat

Kusadasi

Turkey

21-Sep-14

Sun

Istanbul

Turkey

12:00 PM

22-Sep-14

Mon

Istanbul

Turkey

We thank you for your understanding, and look forward to welcoming you aboard.

Warmest Regards,

Oceania Cruises