!*! FREEDOM !*! Southern Caribbean 6/22/14 -Heavy on photos of 2.0 upgrades & menu

CleveCruiser

Thanks! I'm going to book Seavis. Still unsure about Curacao and Aruba. The Roll Call is rather dead and I'm not getting a lot of input - 11/1 Splendor RC has 2,327 replies; Splendor to Bermuda (not until 10/2015!) has 615; 11/29 Freedom has 59! Yes, 59 (and several of those are since I booked on Monday)!! :(

I think some people are afraid a solo cruiser will attach her/himself to them on a tour and not let go until the end of the cruise. Not me! I just want to share costs. I just don't want to go off in a taxi alone, and I sure don't want to pay $45/hr for a basic island tour. And I detest ship excursions; overpriced and you spend half your time getting on and off large buses and waiting for stragglers.

I always post reviews of my cruises. Long, detailed, reviews with photos, that probably bore everyone to death. :p

Hey NCTRIBEFAN,

Like you I'm still researching the ports. The problem with Aruba is we don't arrive until 2pm which doesn't leave alot of daylight time to tour and some decent beach time. The shops downtown close at 6pm I believe and we are in port until 11:30 pm, so if you want to pick up a few things, you don't have much time. I don't know about the others on our Roll Call, but I don't have anything to add yet! It could have something to do with the ports. Still, we are looking forward to the cruise.

Hey NCTRIBEFAN,

Like you I'm still researching the ports. The problem with Aruba is we don't arrive until 2pm which doesn't leave alot of daylight time to tour and some decent beach time. The shops downtown close at 6pm I believe and we are in port until 11:30 pm, so if you want to pick up a few things, you don't have much time. I don't know about the others on our Roll Call, but I don't have anything to add yet! It could have something to do with the ports. Still, we are looking forward to the cruise.

I would have loved to have been in Aruba late, like you guys seem to be. We were in Curacao late, and there, the stores did close early. Only benefit for us was the cool port pics at night of Freedom. Where we docked in Aruba, the night time pics may have stuff in the way. I am sure that some places (stores, bars) are open late on both islands, there is a lot of info here on CC. Have a great cruise!

BK

Thanks for the great review and awesome pictures. I am thinking about cruising on the Freedom next year (like October 2015). It is great to get a glimpse of things to know what to expect.

Thanks for your kind words.

I like the Freedom, some people don't like that it is a bit more difficult to get from the front -

to the back of the conquest ships (easiest deck to do that on is the Promenade deck).

The Blue Iguana is a big selling point for me. She will be out of Galveston next year, right?

Have fun planning an awesome vacation,

BK

It's Sunday, now afternoon, I've spent the the better part of that in bed reading this ep review. I hope you don't mind that I screen shot some of your food pics? My DGF's and I leave next Sunday, I want to text them a picture a day to build the excitement:) as if I needed to do that. A return to the Freedom post 2.0. However was on the Glory out of Miami in Feb. They are identical except for the pub and Seuss upgrades. The American Table Menu was rolled out for our cruise. Never a good idea to be the first for anything. Hope it's much better after the changes they've made. Will miss the Freedom. But so happy to be experiencing another 8 day on her.

Thank you again for my mornings guilty pleasure.

Mmm wondering if Seth is still there.

And we have fantastic Jen as our CD.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just found some additional information when I started the scrapbooking process. Maybe some of this will be helpful to someone who scrolls to the end here! Like a little tidbit after a feature film! Ah well....hope it helps someone.

DSC04528_zpsf03b7b22.jpg

DSC04529_zpsa5b731ca.jpg

DSC04530_zps317f62ad.jpg

DSC04531_zpsab6c7300.jpg

This is the place we used in Aruba...

DSC04535_zps16ffba31.jpg

DSC04533_zpsd6ce7a1f.jpg

It's Sunday, now afternoon, I've spent the the better part of that in bed reading this ep review. I hope you don't mind that I screen shot some of your food pics? My DGF's and I leave next Sunday, I want to text them a picture a day to build the excitement:) as if I needed to do that. A return to the Freedom post 2.0. However was on the Glory out of Miami in Feb. They are identical except for the pub and Seuss upgrades. The American Table Menu was rolled out for our cruise. Never a good idea to be the first for anything. Hope it's much better after the changes they've made. Will miss the Freedom. But so happy to be experiencing another 8 day on her.

Thank you again for my mornings guilty pleasure.

Mmm wondering if Seth is still there.

And we have fantastic Jen as our CD.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Have a GREAT time on your cruise. Put these photos to a good use! Although, as you say, I am sure they are pumped enough!.

I am a bit leery about the American Table, but will try it out. Afraid that if I don't like it, it will be with us for a LONG time

(as Carnival seems to keep things around for roughly 5 years before changing them!)

Seth (bless his cute little soul) is on the reposition cruise of the Legend (I think it's the Legend) that just left.

So lucky you have Jen.

Would be curious on your take of the 2.0 changes on Freedom.

Again, Have a Great Time. And thanks for the kind words.

B

Edited by CleveCruiser
left out info

Thanks for the lovely review. We will be sailing her soon for 5 days. So happy to get a picture review.

What did you think of your room location? We have 2 rooms booked and one of them is actually one of the ones you have. The other is on the non balcony opening side :( something I guess I did not think of until just recently. Wish I had thought of it before. We keep debating moving rooms I just dont know if it is worth it or not.

Thanks for the lovely review. We will be sailing her soon for 5 days. So happy to get a picture review.

What did you think of your room location? We have 2 rooms booked and one of them is actually one of the ones you have. The other is on the non balcony opening side :( something I guess I did not think of until just recently. Wish I had thought of it before. We keep debating moving rooms I just dont know if it is worth it or not.

I think the cabins were in a great location; close to all the fun on Lido deck, a quick elevator ride down to dinner. Was a bit far from the aft end, but we need to walk off that bitter n blanc!

Do you mean your second cabin is an interior? or do you mean the two rooms won't connect on the balcony? I would ask if they do before you switch rooms and pay that fee. Perhaps here or on JH's page?

Hope it works out. Have a great cruise.

B

Day 9: June 30-FLL Port

Docked in Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale

DSC04468_zps8a7146a3.jpg

7:30 – up and showered. Packed and carry-ons, or rather carry-offs, ready.

8:12 – Posh Dining room; ordered breakfast. Took our time disembarking, even though we were zone 1. We were just driving to Tampa and were in no rush.

8:30 – Last breakfast. Went to Posh dining room for a last breakfast. It was, as usual, very good.

c21fd01a-c42a-4f5f-8921-05121e56302b_zps1c1e5e58.jpg

9:15 – Leaving the ship; Last DING. Easy disembarking. Found luggage, porter helped us through the line. Customs agent was brief, but thorough.

9:32 – All checked out.

9:35 – Waiting for DH to bring the car around.

DSC04478_zps5e852d3e.jpg

DSC04479_zpsa7fbd2b5.jpg

9:47 – pulling away….see you next year, Carnival.

Hope you enjoyed it. I learned a lot about CC and posting and photobucket. Still a long way to go. But this one is finished.

I may have a couple follow up questions for fellow travelers...... I'll leave that a little open.

Thanks all!,

CleveCruiser.....out.

Thank you for an excellent review.

We have two balconies. The are just the opposite of the way the divider opens. Just like in your pics. If we had ours open the door would be obstructed is my understanding.

What I am hoping for you is that the divider between the two cabins swings both ways, so it can swing the other way and not block your door. I wish I had paid more attention to the mechanism.

If it doesn't swing, it is still a great area to have your cabin in.

Enjoy your cruise!

I'd read about Sonny Binns. Just hoping someone/anyone in the Roll Call will offer to join me to share costs. :(

Found another Seavis excursion that goes to the Rain Forest. Saona looks beautiful, but I'd really like to see some of the DR. I'm just not that much of a beach person.

I found a private taxi driver in Curacao. Again, the problem is travelling solo.

OP - guess I'll have to take my chances with getting a good wait team for late dining. I rarely have any issues and I've met some, um, interesting people when sailing solo.

We will be taking this cruise on November 1st. I would love to know more about the private taxi driver in Curacao if you will share :-)

Thanks!

For the Seussical Brunch, is that in place of or in addition to the sea day brunch? I want to do brunch but I don't want to pay extra just to have funky colored eggs and pancakes.;)

We are just back from the 8/16 Freedom sailing on this same itinerary. The normal brunch was held in the aft dining room each of the 3 sea days. The Suess brunch was somewhere else (probably the mid dining room) on the last sea day. We did not go to the Seuss one, so did not pay attention to the details.

We are just back from the 8/16 Freedom sailing on this same itinerary. The normal brunch was held in the aft dining room each of the 3 sea days. The Suess brunch was somewhere else (probably the mid dining room) on the last sea day. We did not go to the Seuss one, so did not pay attention to the details.

Good to know. Thank you for the information.

• 2 weeks later...
For the Seussical Brunch, is that in place of or in addition to the sea day brunch? I want to do brunch but I don't want to pay extra just to have funky colored eggs and pancakes.;)

The regular sea day brunch occurs, the Dr. Seuss is extra.

I do love the brunch menu!

Happy sailing :)

oops... Have not been on for a while, and I see a fellow cruiser helped you out already!

Edited by CleveCruiser
Added info

Loved your review we sail on the Freedom in about 3 weeks. We are also booked on Seavis Saona Island and Irie tours in Curacao. Thanks for all the helpful info. We did the Freedom in 2012 before the upgrade so looking forward to the changes. Appreciate the tips on getting to the beach in Aruba (Palm Beach) security didn't stop you when you used the pools at the Hyatt?