Anytime dining and gratuities

fishmom

Just booked a cruise on board the Caribbean Princess using our usual travel agency. Usually we choose traditional dining during the second seating but this time around thought we would try anytime. When I indicated the choice to the agent he said Princess collected the gratuities in advance or at least differently than the traditional. While I am not begrudging the tip, I was not aware of a different policy based upon dining time choice. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that corroborated that statement. This is a large online agency and I haven't worked with this particular agent before. Wondering if this is true?

By the way was very surprised that 7 weeks out we had choice of any seating including the earliest. Usually that choice fills quickly.

Sent from my Samsung tablet using Forums mobile app

Hi - I haven't sailed on the Caribbean Princess, but on the Royal last fall we had Anytime Dining and our auto-tips were posted daily to our accounts just like everyone elses.

Edited by MarKay525

There is no difference in the auto gratuity between traditional and anytime dining on Princess. Gratuities are not collected in advance. It sounds like your TA is not familiar with booking Princess cruises.

Edited by Carolyn R

We have sailed only on Princess and always book anything dinning. The tipping is always the a same as everybody. We also, once we find a waiter we like make reservations for his table every night. I call each morning after 0800 to make the reservation. Our October Royal cruise will be our twelfth on Princess and have never had a problem with anytime dinning.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I know Royal Caribbean collects tips ahead of time for their version of Anytime Dining. Maybe the agent is confused.
Probably the case. Which means that the TA doesn't book very many Princess cruises and doesn't have a clue. :( I would never book a Princess cruise with them again for giving such incorrect information.

That said, there are some TAs who offer a promo of pre-paid gratuities or you can supposedly pre-pay your gratuities by calling Princess or faxing in a request along with payment. The gratuities are never pre-paid and will be charged to your folio but you'll be given OBC in the amount of the auto-tip. The OBC can be used for anything.

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Figure they got Princess and RCL or other cruise line mixed up. While I think the agency is good I need to beware the agent. Going to chalk it up to inexperience on his part.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Forums mobile app

Hi - I haven't sailed on the Caribbean Princess, but on the Royal last fall we had Anytime Dining and our auto-tips were posted daily to our accounts just like everyone elses.

Mine too - it makes no difference, that I can tell, which dining option you choose.

Thanks guys. That's what I thought. Figure they got Princess and RCL or other cruise line mixed up. While I think the agency is good I need to beware the agent. Going to chalk it up to inexperience on his part.

You might end up passing along quite a few things the TA got wrong if you ask enough questions. I would imagine many of those "online agencies" have booking agents who have never been on a cruise.

So did they collect the tips when you paid? or is it in billing?

Just booked a cruise on board the Caribbean Princess using our usual travel agency. Usually we choose traditional dining during the second seating but this time around thought we would try anytime. When I indicated the choice to the agent he said Princess collected the gratuities in advance or at least differently than the traditional. While I am not begrudging the tip, I was not aware of a different policy based upon dining time choice. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything that corroborated that statement. This is a large online agency and I haven't worked with this particular agent before. Wondering if this is true?

By the way was very surprised that 7 weeks out we had choice of any seating including the earliest. Usually that choice fills quickly.

Sent from my Samsung tablet using Forums mobile app

I think the agent does not know what he is talking about.

No charge when I paid for the cruise. I just got the personalizer updated with my card info. I imagine I won't see anything regarding gratuities until I am on board, and likely as a daily charge like normal, to be paid in full at the end.

Thing that worries me is what else he's told them that is wrong. :eek:

LuLu

Maybe for other folks but I just shrugged it off. He was mostly acting just as a means to input data in the computer and to make sure I got the benefit from booking with them. I would have corrected him but just wondered if a new policy had recently gone into effect. Thus the question was posted.

Maybe for other folks but I just shrugged it off. He was mostly acting just as a means to input data in the computer and to make sure I got the benefit from booking with them. I would have corrected him but just wondered if a new policy had recently gone into effect. Thus the question was posted.
Hope you're paying 10-20% less than the Princess fare and getting OBC and perks. That's the only thing that would get me to shrug errors like this off. A good TA can do a heck of a lot more than merely inputting data and booking you.