AA carry on

margeecruiser

Well, I did say "at one point" … Just a reminder that it can change at anytime. When they had the one bomber scare, I remember they made everyone check everything except maybe a book …
But before that you had said this:-
Even though you bought your tickets on AA, if you are traveling internationally, are you sure all your flights are on AA metal and not a codeshare partner? For AA, you've got British Airways to worry about - their carryon restriction are a tad draconian for a mainline airline.
That was "are", in the present tense.

And the bottom line is: No, BA's restrictions are not in the least draconian for a mainline airline. If anything, they are too generous and people are bringing on too much.

The weeks of "no cabin baggage" was not an airline thing and applied to every flight, so wasn't at all relevant to "are you sure all your flights are on AA metal and not a codeshare partner?"

I've been known to measure and weigh luggage before I buy it.

I'll bring a luggage scales and use my hand to measure. (I know the measurements of the different parts of my hands.)

My experience with the AA/BA carry-on issue was on a ORD-MAN-ORD itinerary about 4 years ago. I was ticketed on AA on AA metal for both flights however in MAN we checked in at the BA desks. Staff patrolled the lines and stated that my carry-on was too large. I kindly told them that it was fine on the ORD-MAN leg --and yes it did meet the AA guidelines--so why not going on the return flight? They insisted that I take out my jacket from the outside pocket and would then accept it. So I carried on my jacket and rolled my carry-on….

I now use much carry-ons that are much smaller than than the maximum requirements.

Edited by Alaskanb

By their design, "spinner" bags are a bigger size than a standard "two wheeler" for the same size of luggage compartment. Many bag manufacturers give you the dimensions of the luggage compartment, but the spinner wheels add another couple inches.

If you need packing space, get a bag with the wheels in the corner and give up on the spinner style. And if you absolutely have to have the spinner, know that you will get a smaller bag as a result.

Caveat emptor.

Thanks, Slidergirl. I checked Seatguru before I picked our seats. I've had those big under seat boxes before too, so I always avoid them. Those seats should be cheaper!!

Margee

I've been checking Seat Guru for a United 777/200 3-4-3 seating and it doesn't say which seats have the under seat boxes. How did you find this out?

I have been using Seat Guru for years. They have always had a note indicating which seats have the under seat equipment boxes. They do hav this notation regarding older, smaller Boeing 7XX planes. Since there was not any warning for the 777-300, I feel like we may be OK. We are in seats 37 H & J.

I hope so, anyway. We will make the best of it, in any case. At least I am short, so I don't need all the under seat room anyway. I can cram my tote into a ball, if I have to.

Margee