Specialty Restaurants

please help....I know there are a lot of other threads on this subject, but, just need a few questions answered.

we are thinking of trying one of the specialty restaurants on our up coming cruise. we have never tried one before.

we will be sailing on the Grandeur shortly and was just wondering:

1. have you tried any of the restaurants....which ones.....and what was your opinion on them. which was your favorite..

2. do they offer any special packages on embarkation day, how do they work and what kind of packages are offered. or...is it better to book before you go.

3. what exactly is included in the price and how is the tipping handled. do they charge an additional amount to your room?

thanks for your replies. :)

1. I have tried all of them and would pick Giovanni's as my personal favorite, but like all of them.

2. They will offer a first night offer at a 20% discount or book 3 reservations on 3 nights for 20% discount. You can get these by booking online in advance as OBC.

3. Menu selection is open except restricted to one main course. You can add a main course if so inclined for $10. They do have some upgraded items available if you so wish, but not necessary.

Standard gratuity is included, but extra gratuity for exceptional service is always appreciated. I usually add $5 or more pp., while many others do not and that is fine.

WE did Chops Grille on our grandeur cruise last year. It's a pretty small restaurant, but we liked it because it felt more intimate. I think you can wait to decide as we changed our reservation twice during our cruise to other preferred times and it wasn't a problem.

I could be wrong, but I have been reading that chops menu has changed since my cruise (last Oct) so I can't comment on the new menu. If it's still the old menu, we find everything to be delicious!

We ate at Chops on our last cruise, just walked up one evening, it obviously was not busy, and we had no problem getting in (4 in our group). The food was okay in our little group's opinion, nothing special or extraordinary. As with any other food, only you can decide if you like it or not or if it's worth the extra cost. Same thing with Giovanni's Table, just walked up and was able to be seated. We were not impressed with the food there, but, again, it's all subjective to you and your tastes. Certainly doesn't hurt to give either a try. I think both were $20 per person.

please help....I know there are a lot of other threads on this subject, but, just need a few questions answered.

we are thinking of trying one of the specialty restaurants on our up coming cruise. we have never tried one before.

we will be sailing on the Grandeur shortly and was just wondering:

1. have you tried any of the restaurants....which ones.....and what was your opinion on them. which was your favorite.. All of them. In order: Chef's Table, Izumi, Chops and Giovanni's

2. do they offer any special packages on embarkation day, how do they work and what kind of packages are offered. or...is it better to book before you go. yes. no deal by booking ahead, but if you wait until on board they may offer some awesome deals( we ended up getting Chef's table at half off by waiting until mid cruise to book it) they uusally offer a percentage off when you book more than one restaurant

3. what exactly is included in the price and how is the tipping handled. do they charge an additional amount to your room? Izumni is a cover charge plus a $15 credit towards the a la carte menu. every one else the cover charge covers basically a full meal(unlimited appetizers and desserts and sides but only one entree)

thanks for your replies. :)

Izumi also does lunch which doesn't have the hot rock option but does have ..better than average American sushi( but nowhere near the quality of Tokyo sushi)

Chef's table is VERY limited.. only 10-12 at the table and includes wine pairs. the chef comes out and explains his choices and the sommalier explains why he chose the wines he did to go with it.. expensive but WELL worth the cost. it is also only offered a few times the entire cruise

Chops is a decent steak house and Giovannis is Italian.

We recently ate at Giovanni's and it was delicious! We tried getting a reservation for Chops, but it was booked. We played bingo on day 2, and were given a 20% off coon for Giovanni's, which worked out for us! Chops was $35 p/p and Giovanni's was $25.

Is the last night of a 7 day cruise a good night to at Giovani's Table? And the best night to miss the MDR?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We actually ate at Giovanni's on the last night. We didn't care for the menu in the MDR on that night.

We loved chef's table and giovanni's on the Allure. Chops was good. 150 CP was not worth it. Not for food or the wine pairing. Highly disappointed considering how fantastic it was 2 years ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app