Legal gratuity charge

hintanjul

Why is it compulsory to be charged 15% by the Carnival robber barons on top of every drink you purchase. Is this legal and if not can you demand they reimburse you??

Just stay at home and lock doors and windows.

Why is it compulsory to be charged 15% by the Carnival robber barons on top of every drink you purchase. Is this legal and if not can you demand they reimburse you??
When you order, think of the total price of the drink... (i.e. with the 15% included...) and one of your problems... vanishes.

Next...

Edited by pepperrn

It is legal because it is their ship, they disclose the tipping policies in advance, and we are not forced to sail with them. If we are dumb enough to put up with it, they are smart enough to collect.:eek: One of the reasons we mostly sail on all inclusive lines. It works out nearly the same cost wise if you really put the pencil to it. And yes, I hate the constant upcharging too. Can't really call it "nickel and diming" anymore. :eek:

Edited by Jim Avery

It is legal because it is their ship, they disclose the tipping policies in advance, and we are not forced to sail with them. If we are dumb enough to put up with it, they are smart enough to collect.:eek: One of the reasons we mostly sail on all inclusive lines. It works out nearly the same cost wise if you really put the pencil to it. And yes, I hate the constant upcharging too. Can't really call it "nickel and diming" anymore. :eek:

So you have no legal training of any kind but wish to advise on whether Carnival's practices are legal. Got it.

When I drink a glass of wine on a nice ship, it puts me in a good mood…. In such a mood, I have no interest in quibbling about the required gratuity.

Beside, DH always signs for my drinks and (such a dear man!) he likes for me to be happy.

Since as passengers, we are all apprised of the gratuity in advance, those of us in disagreement could chose to forego the pleasure of occasional onboard alcohol…

I, for one, prefer to enjoy my drink and not begrudge the gratuity.

Like Pepper, DH and I look at the total cost and just accept that is the cost.

Cheers! Enjoy days at sea! Enjoy life!

So you have no legal training of any kind but wish to advise on whether Carnival's practices are legal. Got it.

Welcome to CruiseCritic where everyone is entitled to an opinion, qualified or not. I have no legal training either, but I'll reasonably assume that Carnival would have been sued 57 different ways if the practice was illegal in any way.

You will certainly tell us which countries law will apply to passengers in international waters?

Do you have any detailed knowledge of illegal practises concerning the offer to add 15% gratuity to all on board extras for your comfort?

Did you know that you are at any time entitled to decline this auto-tip?

Did you ever work physically to earn money - and did you get paid?

It's legal in the same way that they charge X pounds for a drink.

So a pint is, say, $5.95 + 15%. Why do you think that's not legal ?

Did you know that you are at any time entitled to decline this auto-tip?

Thank you for that piece of information. Much more useful than the glut of useless information and smart **** opinions from some other holier than thou cruisers.

And yes I know in the UK there is the 20% within the price but that is a tax. I was asking about gratuities.

And yes I do work physically, 2 jobs actually, to pay for my holidays and my massive alcohol intake, BUT.... I dont get a 15% tip for every job that I undertake.

Though I respect all opinions and answers I will choose to ignore some and act on others.

What a great idea.

Now will it be the cheeky Billy Billy Shiraz or the Marlboro Sauvignon Blanc or as it is 26 degrees here beyond the wall maybe an ice cold Coors would be the kiddie!!!!!:p:p:p:cool:

that the tipping issue is discussed here. I always tip a little bit more than the usual in the country, BUT could never understand why it exists. Which would be the difference if Cunard charged $11.50 for a $10 drink and didn't called it service?

Can anyone imagine a restaurant bill divided in itens like food, rent, utilities, furniture, capital expdenditure,.....? :eek:

... Which would be the difference if Cunard charged $11.50 for a $10 drink and didn't called it service? ...
I agree with you, well said (see post #3, which explains how I (and some others) approach the cost of buying drinks on board).

Perhaps the OP will let us know if $11.50 instead of $10.00 + $1.50 would make him happier?

Thank you again :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I agree with you, well said (see post #3, which explains how I (and some others) approach the cost of buying drinks on board).

Perhaps the OP will let us know if $11.50 instead of $10.00 + $1.50 would make him happier?

I, for one, couldn't care less!

... Did you know that you are at any time entitled to decline this auto-tip? ...
From the Cunard (UK) website FAQ

"How much are drinks on-board?"

Price lists follow... then...

"All items are subject to availability and prices are subject to change without notice.

A 15% gratuity charge is applied to all bar services.

The gratuity charge applied to all bar services is shared between bar personnel in recognition of their services whereas

Dining charges are discretionary and although they are automatically added to on board accounts, this can be adjusted or removed by visiting Reception"

Hope this helps.

Recently the Internal Revenue Service has changed the way mandatory tips are handled in the United States in terms of taxation. Now they are considered 'salary', not 'gratuities'. The new rules are complicated, and not without some controversy here in the US. I have no idea if this ruling has any effect on cruise lines. Anyway, if interested, this explains the new IRS rule http://nrn.com/opinions/tips-restaurants-irs-automatic-gratuity-rule?page=1

Edited by Salacia

Whilst I agree the 15% is ridiculous, it matters not.

As others have said: Does it matter if it's $10 + 15% or $11.50 ? Of course it does not. But people in the UK get hung up about it. They moan like hell at $10 + 15% (they think they are being ripped off in some way) but would accept $11.50 because there is no mention of anything being added.

Whilst I agree the 15% is ridiculous, it matters not.

As others have said: Does it matter if it's $10 + 15% or $11.50 ? Of course it does not. But people in the UK get hung up about it. They moan like hell at $10 + 15% (they think they are being ripped off in some way) but would accept $11.50 because there is no mention of anything being added.

Note to Cunard accounting: Next price increase for drinks make it "All drinks are $13.00 - no gratuity will be added, or expected."

May be he will tell us :p