Do you HAVE to dress for formal night?

suzy5565

:eek: What's the deal here? I never got issued an umbrella! Oh well, maybe back in that era it was the pre-umbrella days ;) .

John

Email UB:p

I agree with Rose, and others, figuring Formal Might is called Formal Night for a reason. I do believe that disagreement in this is symptomatic of a larger issue. The exent to which anyone gets too excited with respect to the disagreement is another issue entirely. :)

More than any other area of vacation or leisure activity in which I've had experience (and I've had a wide variety of many), the area of cruising, and this board in particular seems to be characterized by many who often seek to "get over". The "I wanna book a cruise and do whatever I want, to hell with convention or what other people expect or want from their cruise or what the cruise line expects types". Prohibited from bringing booze aboard - how can I smuggle some on? They don't allow irons - how can I fit one in my carry-on? They don't allow children with diapers in the pool - do they make camouflage diapers? A satisfactory tip is expected for satisfactory service – well if the waiter doesn’t kiss my butt before AND after the meal, isn’t that justification for stiffing them? You are expected to dress at least semi-formally for the dining room – but that doesn’t apply to me since I’d be more happier going straight from the beach to eat in my cutoffs and Vegas T-shirt, does it? In other words, sure there are both requirements and suggestions and these are fine for others but, hey, some of them impinge on me having a good time or force me to act in a way that I am uncomfortable – so I’ll either say “screw ‘em” or find a way to get around ‘em. Seems like MOST here are just trying to find out information on what is suggested, required, etc. in the spirit of education while others are trying to find out how to informally skirt (if you will) whatever is suggested, required, etc.

Now, none of this causes me loss of sleep, really, and I can and will have a good time, most always in spite of what other louts might do. And, I suppose that I will absorb some slings as a result of my take on the matter, but so be it.

Not really sure. My preference is to dress for casual and formal nights, as well as days. I think the only place where clothing is optional is on the funnel deck.:eek: However, someone will be sure to point out that CCL does not specifically state that clothing MUST be worn in the dining room!!! (I noticed some posters want everything spelled out legally!!) :D

Hmmm......I checked my docs carefully, and believe you are correct. I can find nothing that specifically states that you have to wear clothing at all...

Hmmm......I checked my docs carefully, and believe you are correct. I can find nothing that specifically states that you have to wear clothing at all...

Great...I wonder who's going to be the first to test those waters:eek:

I agree with Rose, and others, figuring Formal Might is called Formal Night for a reason. I do believe that disagreement in this is symptomatic of a larger issue. The exent to which anyone gets too excited with respect to the disagreement is another issue entirely. :)

More than any other area of vacation or leisure activity in which I've had experience (and I've had a wide variety of many), the area of cruising, and this board in particular seems to be characterized by many who often seek to "get over". The "I wanna book a cruise and do whatever I want, to hell with convention or what other people expect or want from their cruise or what the cruise line expects types". Prohibited from bringing booze aboard - how can I smuggle some on? They don't allow irons - how can I fit one in my carry-on? They don't allow children with diapers in the pool - do they make camouflage diapers? A satisfactory tip is expected for satisfactory service – well if the waiter doesn’t kiss my butt before AND after the meal, isn’t that justification for stiffing them? You are expected to dress at least semi-formally for the dining room – but that doesn’t apply to me since I’d be more happier going straight from the beach to eat in my cutoffs and Vegas T-shirt, does it? In other words, sure there are both requirements and suggestions and these are fine for others but, hey, some of them impinge on me having a good time or force me to act in a way that I am uncomfortable – so I’ll either say “screw ‘em” or find a way to get around ‘em. Seems like MOST here are just trying to find out information on what is suggested, required, etc. in the spirit of education while others are trying to find out how to informally skirt (if you will) whatever is suggested, required, etc.

Now, none of this causes me loss of sleep, really, and I can and will have a good time, most always in spite of what other louts might do. And, I suppose that I will absorb some slings as a result of my take on the matter, but so be it.

Seriously.

Not that this hasn't been posted a million times, but here it is, again.

From Carnival's web site:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Take that however you want, but let me ask you this. Say you spent a great deal of time and money putting together a dinner party at your home. On the invitation it "suggests" formal wear at your dinner party.

You and your husband make the effort and put your best dress clothes on.

Then a few people come in black jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

How would that make you feel?

Take that however you want, but let me ask you this. Say you spent a great deal of time and money putting together a dinner party at your home. On the invitation it "suggests" formal wear at your dinner party.

Get's old huh:rolleyes: I think some folks need a course in reading comprehension.

a) It would pi** me off, b) they wouldn't (be allowed to) attend this function and c) doubtful they'd be invited in the future.

From Carnival's web site:

Personally, it would depend on the person. My brother took the pictures at my wedding and he came in jeans and a nice shirt and it didn't bother me a bit. But then again, I know my brother couldn't really afford formal or even semi-formal and I was honored that he wanted to attend my wedding enough to come dressed as he was and know that I wouldn't care as long as he came.

Some people will dress the way they want cause they can but folks need to remember that some people dress that way for other reasons too.

Well, I can't help but throw my two cents in... not that it matters or that anyone will care...

We've cruised a few times before, and we've seen faded, ragged, barely-still-blue jeans and tattered white t-shirt in the dining room on a formal night. I looked at the man and his wife, and smiled because maybe, just maybe that was all he had to wear that night - for whatever reason - lost luggage, no money, poor taste - whatever the reason, it just didn't make any difference because I was enjoying my cruise...

Let me say that again... I was enjoying my cruise.

Yes, there may be guidelines in place, but you know what, we do not live in a perfect world. And, you do not know that individual's position/reason for being there dressed in what some deem as inappropriate attire.

Lighten up, get off the high-horse, and enjoy the fact that you have the money to buy the attire you choose, and you have the money to be on a cruise.

Think of it this way... what if that guy in the tattered jeans and T-shirt was your brother and he and his wife were taking what is probably going to be their last vacation together because he had been diagnosed with a long-term and fatal disease. Their money is depleted because of medical costs and they want to share a last trip together... something great for her to remember him by.... would you be so quick to judge them then?

As for the original poster... If you want to pack light and are worried about what to wear, go with what someone else said... be smart in your wardrobe choices so that mixing and matching isn't a problem and bring black strappy sandals (their slim) for your shoes... As for DH... nice pants, shirt, tie and rent the shoes from the tuxedo place on board, because that will be the biggest bulk item for him.... good luck and don't stress it. You'll have a good time no matter what you choose to do.

Should have myself a little more clear. I was addressing the original poster, who had said they didn't want to pack extra formal wear beacuse of their extended trip. Personally, it doesn't affect my cruise if someone wears jeans and a t-shirt on formal night. But that is going against Carnival's policy.

I was just stating the rules from Carnival and gave a little "scenario" on a formal event. DH and I have friends that we would invite to said formal event, and friends that we wouldn't. The friends that we wouldn't invite would be invited to our backyard bbq the next day. I do not judge by someone's clothing, and I'm not getting on a high horse.

I definitely realize that there are people out there that cannot afford formal wear. In fact, most everyone that is going with us on our cruise will probably wear a church dress or slacks to formal evening.

I'm with Cotton on this subject!

Yeah, well, someone who we might SEE on a cruise wearing jeans and a T-shirt could POSSIBLY be in the dire straights (last vacation scenario) that you theorize - and I doubt that there is ANYONE here who would not have sympathy in that case. NO ONE. Without assuming to speak for everyone else, I think what most everyone is referencing are the folks that POST HERE, saying they don't WANT to dress formal - even though the COULD!! There's a huge difference between that and what you theorize and makes your argument yet another red herring, cruzinwoman, and as "high-horsed" as you frown on others for being.

I recognize that the OP was speaking of practivalities more than anything.

I'm the one who started this thread. Didn't mean to get everyone upset with each other about it! If we were going home after the cruise, it would make a HUGE difference, but we're going to be getting off and on trains and planes and traveling for another two weeks. Seems silly to haul around a suit that my husband will never wear again on the trip. II do think a shirt and tie and nice trousers would be sufficient. I'm going to just throw in something black, like slacks and a fancy top. I know some of you will think we're underdressed, but I think it'll be fine. Let me know if you disagree with all this. Thanks for all your replies!

Contrary to an earlier post, formal wear IS now required. But I have never, ever seen it enforced.

Dan

I quote from the "Welcome Aboard" booklet we received on our recent Carnival Cruise: "You'll have a chance to dress up two nights on 6-day or longer cruises (one night on 5-day or shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. We suggest formal attire: cocktail dress for women; a dark suit or tuxedo for men."

Note the word "suggest"...it doesn't say require or mandatory or be-prepared-to-walk-the-plank. The American Heritage Dictionary defines the word suggest as: "1. To offer for consideration or action; propose...."

As I said, we just returned from a 4-night cruise and on formal night, the men wearing shirts (with or without ties) and dress pants/khakis far, far outnumbered the men in suits. Tuxes were very scarce.

Until the cruiselines make formal attire "mandatory" for formal night and enforce the dress code, you are going to see people dressed just how they please. You have two choices....live with it or cruise on a fancier line.

I'm the one who started this thread. Didn't mean to get everyone upset with each other about it! If we were going home after the cruise, it would make a HUGE difference, but we're going to be getting off and on trains and planes and traveling for another two weeks. Seems silly to haul around a suit that my husband will never wear again on the trip. II do think a shirt and tie and nice trousers would be sufficient. I'm going to just throw in something black, like slacks and a fancy top. I know some of you will think we're underdressed, but I think it'll be fine. Let me know if you disagree with all this. Thanks for all your replies!

suzy, don't let the tone of this thread upset you at all. This subject always turns into a pi##ing contest. Your question certainly won't be the last time it is asked either. As someone wisely observed earlier it gets divided into 3 camps.

Those who follow the dress code, those who don't and those who don't care.

The first two always go at it.

Welcome to the boards Suzy! You did not upset anyone, it's just that...well...these type of threads bring out the "best" in some. I can understand why you would not want to carry around all that baggage when you are making multible destinations. Would your DH be willing to rent a Tux? If not, a nice shirt tie and slacks should be fine. But please don't let him wear the New Balance shoes previously shown:rolleyes: ;) And you can find a really nice dress suit that you could dress up with jewelry and a nice hair-do. :)

For less than the price of renting shoes for your DH, try Goodwill.

I know, you should never buy used shoes but he needs dress shoes for two hours on two separate evenings and will be sitting eating during most of the time. When the formal evenings have concluded, THROW OUT THE SHOES! You will then have a more room in your luggage.

Try not to miss the formal dinners-our first two cruises we didn't want to bother with the formal clothes. Now they are my favorite evenings.

Our last cruise I notice that many men did not have jackets, dress shirt, tie and dark slacks was common.

My suggestion - for less than the price of renting shoes for your DH, try buying a pair at Goodwill/Salvation Army.

I know, you should never buy used shoes but he needs dress shoes for two hours on two separate evenings and will be sitting eating during most of the time. When the formal evenings have concluded, THROW OUT THE SHOES! You will then have a more room in your luggage.

Say, I LIKE the idea of getting shoes at Goodwill and then throwing them out! Maybe I could do that with a jacket, too. Hmmmm, we may be the talk of the ship! But I do appreciate the suggestions. We're travelling with our two grown daughters, who are actually staying in Europe another 7 weeks after the cruise, and are only taking backpacks! They want us to keep it as light as possible. And I'M the one who usually takes everything in my closet!! This should be interesting!!!

So far this dress code chat has been tame. Regardless of how you read into the wording of Carnival's suggestions it is still a formal night. So I ask the question you always here on this subject "what part of the word "formal" do you not understand?". And add to that the fact that Carnival has gone out of their way to accomadate those not wishing to "dress up" by opening the Lido buffet on formal nights so you don't have to dress up. I agree about the percentages quoted early: 20% true formalwear, 60% Carnival's loosely suggested "other wear" and 20% anything goes wear which can range from the dirty jeans and tshirt with flipflops to the tacky T-shirts with the tux printed on the front. No doubt that 20% will be stared at, talked about, and maybe even get complaints to the matri'de about your dress but it won't change a thing. However I will add that just maybe the matri'de will approach you and ask you to go back and change into something more approriate for formal night. That's a big maybe but it does happen more than you would think. I would hate to be in that situation of being asked to go back and change. So is it really that hard to fall into that 60% majority and dress as suggested? For the men any old coat and tie will do nicely. Even those Rodney Dangerfield lime green sport jackets with bright yellow golf slacks and tassle shoes will do fine. That still falls under their suggestions.

For the ladies you can get by with most anything from short skirts to polyster stretch pants. I like the idea of Goodwill too. Buy what you need for formal night for less the $30 for the two of you and then toss in the trash can when you are through. In fact for less than $100 at Goodwill you could probably buy every outfit you need for the whole week and a suitcase to put it all in and leave it all in your cabin. I bet Carnvial will ship it back to you for FREE!

I just don't get it. When I book the cruise, I KNOW there are going to be formal nights. If I choose to participate, I bring formal attire. If I choose not not to participate, I know I will be eating at the buffet, or room service. Formal night is not a surprise...I know it is there when I book, and so I prepare for it accordingly. That means a suit for DH, and dress or formal pantsuit for myself. No trying to decide if jeans are ok, or if kahkis and a buttondown are going to work. Where I come from, formal means Suits, Ties, Dresses...end of story! :)

It's a vacation you chose to take and you knew or soon would know that when you chose it there would be at least one formal night on a cruise. If following a simple dress code that is so far from being true formal anyway bothers you then try another type of a vacation. A cruise is not for you or go with what the cruise line has provided and that's another place that is not formal to eat dinner at night.

Archived