Miami Hotel - Ideas of What to Do?

sunflower47

Our airline just changed our arrival time so now we get in around 2:30pm instaed of after 10pm at night!! :)

We booked a car rental out of MIA, which we can drop off the next day near the Port. We used Hertz. We're coming in November.

We had booked a few hotels that had both free shuttles to the cruise port and the airport but if we have the car we really don't need them so much anymore.

Any suggestions on what to do with our time now that we aren't getting in late? Any must see spots in our short time there.

As far as hotels do any offer free parking and might be nicer than an airport hotel since we don't need the shuttles anymore. Budget would be $150ish but not higher the $200 just to sleep for one night.

I use Priceline all the time. How do people do with Priceline for Miami hotels?

Edited by sunflower47

Our airline just changed our arrival time so now we get in around 2:30pm instaed of after 10pm at night!! :)

We booked a car rental out of MIA, which we can drop off the next day near the Port. We used Hertz. We're coming in November.

We had booked a few hotels that had both free shuttles to the cruise port and the airport but if we have the car we really don't need them so much anymore.

Any suggestions on what to do with our time now that we aren't getting in late? Any must see spots in our short time there.

As far as hotels do any offer free parking and might be nicer than an airport hotel since we don't need the shuttles anymore. Budget would be $150ish but not higher the $200 just to sleep for one night.

I use Priceline all the time. How do people do with Priceline for Miami hotels?

If you are going to rent a car, thEn nothing is off limits. You shouldn't settle for an airport hotel when you don't have to.

Currently on Priceline, there's an Ocean Drive Hotel, 3.5 stars - 8.0 rated, with internet, breakfast and gym included for $154. It's probably the Beacon hotel which is a ridiculously good deal for this location and for what you are getting. You would have to pay for parking, but they do valet for like $20 . . . still with free breakfast, that's not a big deal and you are gonna pay for parking anywhere downtown or on South Beach. The only thing to caution against is more than 2 people. If it is just you and your mate, you'll be fine. If it's the entire family, look elsewhere.

Check out travelpony.com. Personally I would bother with the car. (your choice of course) What I would do is find a hotel downtown. You could spend some time at Bayside Mall and have dinner. OR.... From there if you want to see the area and Miami Beach /South Beach I'd pick up the hop on bus at Bayside Mall. Or you can pick up a water tour of the islands. If downtown you 'd be only a $10 or so cab ride to the port in the morning.

I wouldn't see the rental for just that short time with all the parking concerns, unless you stay out of the downtown area and get parking included.

Edited by eandj

Book the hotel in South Beach kdawg mentioned (that is an incredible deal for the Beacon).

Cancel the rental car.

Take the Airport Flyer Express for $2.35 per person from the airport to South Beach.

Enjoy your evening, dine alfresco, they weather should be stunning.

Take a cab to the port the next morning.

Thanks for the suggestions - I couldn't find the Beacon for my dates on Priceline. I read through many posts yesterday and decided on staying Downtown close to the port for the next morning and possibly taking some type of transportation to visit South Beach for a little bit. I got the Hyatt Regency Downtown on Priceline for $141 and ditched the rental car and cancelled the airport hotels.

:)

Thanks for the suggestions - I couldn't find the Beacon for my dates on Priceline. I read through many posts yesterday and decided on staying Downtown close to the port for the next morning and possibly taking some type of transportation to visit South Beach for a little bit. I got the Hyatt Regency Downtown on Priceline for $141 and ditched the rental car and cancelled the airport hotels.

The Hyatt is a good hotel. I stayed there for an event and the location was really great.

I wish you would of came back before booking because I could of probably steered you into a more desirable direction. Hotwire has a hotel on Ocean Drive for $124 which seems to be the Beacon as well for the night of 11/9/14.

Smart idea dumping the car, you really don't need it.

The Hyatt is a good hotel. I stayed there for an event and the location was really great.

I wish you would of came back before booking because I could of probably steered you into a more desirable direction. Hotwire has a hotel on Ocean Drive for $124 which seems to be the Beacon as well for the night of 11/9/14.

Smart idea dumping the car, you really don't need it.

I am happy that you liked the Hyatt-it seems to get pretty good reviews. Some say it's a little run down, but we are only there for one night to sleep, so I hope there are no issues.

I used the Express Deals so I pretty much knew the hotel I was getting based on stars, amenities, price range, etc.

I think on Priceline for South Beach, I may have ended up with the Avalon

and I didn't want to take a chance on not getting the Beacon. Everything matched up except the amount of Customer Ratings. The Beacon was an 8.5 and the one they were offering was only a 7.0 which matched the Avalon. I know sometimes it's not exactly right but doesn't usually sway that far off.

I am happy that you liked the Hyatt-it seems to get pretty good reviews. Some say it's a little run down, but we are only there for one night to sleep, so I hope there are no issues.

I used the Express Deals so I pretty much knew the hotel I was getting based on stars, amenities, price range, etc.

I think on Priceline for South Beach, I may have ended up with the Avalon

and I didn't want to take a chance on not getting the Beacon. Everything matched up except the amount of Customer Ratings. The Beacon was an 8.5 and the one they were offering was only a 7.0 which matched the Avalon. I know sometimes it's not exactly right but doesn't usually sway that far off.

Yea I noticed on Express Deals that the hotel switched from a 3 1/2 8.0 hotel to a 3 1/2 7.0 hotel and it seemed to be the Avalon which would not of been "as good" of a deal.

For future reference, I'd start checking out Hotwire more often. They've gotten better while Priceline Express deals have gotten worse. The hotel for $124 on Hotwire stated "the last hotel booked on this deal was The Beacon" and the TripAdvisor Owl Eyes matched up as did the "original price" and amenities. Just something for your hip pocket going forward. I've utilized PriceLine Express / Make your Bid so many times over the years and used to vouch for them over Hotwire for so long . . . but the guard is changing again.

The Hyatt Regency is hardly run down. It's probably at a 3 1/2 star level rather than a 4 star level, but we are talking semantics. The lobby/outside are great and they host events all the time. The room was nice. We wen't for a BBQ event at the Miami Circle last year and we saw the event clearly from our hotel room. Bayside is about a 10 minute walk but the Metro Mover is right next to the Hyatt so you'll be in great shape for getting around. A lot of little food places scattered in the area.

Getting to South Beach cheap, you'll probably be best taking the Beach Max 120 bus. It'll get you to the heart of South Beach in about 20 minutes from getting on.

It'll be a fun trip.

Edited by kdawg954

Yea I noticed on Express Deals that the hotel switched from a 3 1/2 8.0 hotel to a 3 1/2 7.0 hotel and it seemed to be the Avalon which would not of been "as good" of a deal.

For future reference, I'd start checking out Hotwire more often. They've gotten better while Priceline Express deals have gotten worse. The hotel for $124 on Hotwire stated "the last hotel booked on this deal was The Beacon" and the TripAdvisor Owl Eyes matched up as did the "original price" and amenities. Just something for your hip pocket going forward. I've utilized PriceLine Express / Make your Bid so many times over the years and used to vouch for them over Hotwire for so long . . . but the guard is changing again.

The Hyatt Regency is hardly run down. It's probably at a 3 1/2 star level rather than a 4 star level, but we are talking semantics. The lobby/outside are great and they host events all the time. The room was nice. We went for a BBQ event at the Miami Circle last year and we saw the event clearly from our hotel room. Bayside is about a 10 minute walk but the Metro Mover is right next to the Hyatt so you'll be in great shape for getting around. A lot of little food places scattered in the area.

Getting to South Beach cheap, you'll probably be best taking the Beach Max 120 bus. It'll get you to the heart of South Beach in about 20 minutes from getting on.

It'll be a fun trip.

Thanks for the information - I have used Hotwire too - I switch back and forth - I'll have to keep that in mind.

The Beach Max 120 bus sounds like the way to go too. Thanks!!!

Book the hotel in South Beach kdawg mentioned (that is an incredible deal for the Beacon).

The problem is with kdawg's rec. that it isn't a sure thing. There are other hotels that the OP could end up in.

AhHa...I guess.. after reading the threads further... that the OP didn't want to take the chance...I'm glad. I haven't been keen on bidding on PL for awhile now, especially where location and amenitites really matter. Other less blind sites are offering prices I can live with.

AhHa...I guess.. after reading the threads further... that the OP didn't want to take the chance...I'm glad. I haven't been keen on bidding on PL for awhile now, especially where location and amenitites really matter. Other less blind sites are offering prices I can live with.

As far as bidding goes, I've literally not bid on Priceline since 2012. Since they really started to push the "Express Deals" it's clear the "bidding" process has gone downhill. Less Amenities revealed, less 8.0+ hotels as an option . . . just not as sure of a thing.

With PriceLine Express and Hotwire you can pretty much narrow it down between the amenities, the percentage off, the ratings, etc. The 8.0 that showed up first was definitely the Beacon . . . there is always a risk tho, if there wasn't then everybody would book this way

Hotwire is pretty cool because they actually tell you that "the last person who booked this deal received the Beacon". Plus Hotwire let's you put more than the standard 2 guests, which can be an issue on PriceLine. Where Hotwire used to be bad was with their rating system. They'd give clear 2 star hotels a 2.5 or even a 3 star rating and put them in the mix with others. It seems that they've started doing a better job of getting those ratings right.

I do feel people who use LMT though. They have a "more usuable" refund policy and they give great insight into what the hotel will probably be.

It's all about how much you are willing to gamble to save in the end. I'm a safe gambler, so I don't recommend unless I'm sure (even though I have to throw in the "risk factor") and I have to be willing to be "OK" with the result if its not what I think it is.

We are looking for a pre-cruise hotel for Jan '15. Would prefer staying closer to Pier. Have no clue which area is preferred as we haven't cruised out of Miami in years. Seems we have cruised mostly out of FLL or Port Canaveral (spell?) from the east coast.

Appreciate any info to help us make a good decision!

I agree. Had always been a great fan of Priceline. Sometimes Hotwire stars are elevated too so am wary with them now too.

I still never pay the full price through the hotel site and tend to use lastminutetravel. (Free to join on their website)If you become a club member you can see the name of the hotel before you book.

That is a shame because that is a little high for that Hyatt for that time of year and downtown isn't near as nice as the beach.

I think the Avalon is a fantastic hotel. I've stayed there four or five times through the year.

That is a shame because that is a little high for that Hyatt for that time of year and downtown isn't near as nice as the beach.

I think the Avalon is a fantastic hotel. I've stayed there four or five times through the year.

Yea I was going to say, the Avalon is also a nice hotel. I mean it's South Beach, so you are going to get a small room and maybe a room that could use some updating . . . but that location . . . worth every penny.

South Beach is a funny area to look at reviews on. People going in expecting a real nice room for the money they spend when the rooms are as small as you are going to get anywhere. You are mainly paying for that location. To get free breakfast on top of it is icing on the cake.