Cell at Sea

SpencerTiger

I hope my husband doesn't find out about this! We have had one hec of a year and it's not going to get better or easier. I have insisted that we are totally unplugging and checking out. For sanity sake!

LOL I totally agree.

As soon as we pull away from the pier, I shut my phone down and throw it in the safe.

I will only get a few min every few days of internet to check on our dogs via web at the dog spa they are put in... puts my wife's mind at ease to see them sitting there.....HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!!!! :)

your first born and if you forget to turn off you data plan second born too!

Granted it has been about 3 years since my last cruise, but I noticed when I tried to access data while connected to "Cellular At Sea", nothing happened.

Download app called VIBER it Is free".......you can then text or call using wifi without international.......when my daughter went to Portugal we used this and very time she was in hotel with free wifi or at restaurant etc she could call or text without the ATT roaming charges.....it really works

If you go to Puerto Rico or St Thomas, you won't be charged roaming rates. Every time we go there I call, check email, etc. No extra charge. I have had AT&T since they bought out Cingular and have an iPhone 5.

I was just going to ask that. In these two ports can't you make calls as if you were in the US?? Pretty sure I was told there's no international charges there...What about data?? Can I check Facebook etc there on my LTE ??

Edited by kelkel2

I was just going to ask that. In these two ports can't you make calls as if you were in the US?? Pretty sure I was told there's no international charges there...What about data?? Can I check Facebook etc there on my LTE ??

Yep, no extra charges. I do all of it every time. Most recently in January.

How much does it cost to use the cellular at Sea? We have ATT at home...

Whenever a newbie asks this question I tell them to do a hard power off, pull the battery if possible, and put their phone in their stateroom safe. If one isn't careful - smart phones run so many automatic apps and updates - there can be a $2400 phone bill awaiting your return home.

All too often first timers naively text their friends, send vacation videos to social media sites, and track the ship's position. While doing all this the data rate charges are being sent from the satellite provider to your cell phone carrier. You'll have no recourse with the cruise line because they had nothing to do with it.

If you must make calls from sea turn your phone on only for the duration of the call. Then make 100% certain that baby is functionally dead until you use it again - after disabling all automatic apps and updaters.

Edited by BlueRiband

You're welcome! Just make sure you turn data off/put in airplane mode when not in those ports or you can be hit with some crazy charges!

Oh I will. I'm really good about that because I like to use it for other stuff but am really worried about charges. I usually put it on airplane mode and then turn it off just in case. Thanks for all the help!

We also throw ours in the safe as soon as we leave port, but someone asked me if you can use your phone to take pictures and if so how much would the rate be. Thanks for any help.

It doesn't cost anything to take pictures with your phone. Just make sure that your phone is in airplane mode (i.e. all data turned off), so some app won't automatically try to upload your pictures to Google+, or Facebook, or somewhere else in the cloud.