Upgrade

snow2day

We recently returned from a nine day cruise around Japan on the Diamond Princess. When we booked the cruise we had selected a mini-suite which we knew we would enjoy. About two weeks before we left for Japan, our travel agent emailed us to let us know we had been upgraded to a penthouse suite. Not an upsell mind you but an actual no extra charge upgrade. We had previously joked that maybe we would be upgraded to a full suite and had discussed how much we would be willing to pay for an upsell but we never really expected an upgrade.

The penthouse suite was wonderful and we made use of all the extras that come with a suite, the free laundry, breakfast at Sabatini's, free mini bar, champagne, an extensive balcony, walk in closet, special treats on formal nights and much more. Generally we had a fantastic time! The only problem is that now we are so spoiled that we're not sure we can book anything less. That is the problem with receiving a wonderful upgrade but it's a wonderful problem to have.

Congratulations! That's awesome! :)

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the lowest balcony to Hawaii from L.A. On Dec. 4 and got upgraded to a superior balcony on deck 10 with large balcony. After I checked prices on Princess website, I realized that this balcony is the same price as mini suite. After my TA called them, they said we need to pay a difference between the current mini suite and what we paid. I don't believe that price will go down for our cruise, so we shall sea what happens after the final payment. Perhaps we still have a chance to get to a mini suite.

We got upgraded from a mini to a full suite 4 years ago, it was great. Our very first cruise ever. Our travel agent told us cruising would never be the same again for us, and we are getting ready to experience that in a plain ole balcony room in two weeks. Can't wait for Alaska again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The balcony upgrades will usually go to those booked in OV cabins. After that, obstructed OV'S. You come last. So think about maybe getting an oceanview and don't think about a balcony.

My DW and I received a balcony upgrade on our second cruise. We went from a BD Baja to a BA caribe. Getting married on the Sapphire the year before helped, I guess. Princess does know their doing, we sailed in only BA's since. Now for our 10 year we are doing a vista suite.

We booked the lowest balcony to Hawaii from L.A. On Dec. 4 and got upgraded to a superior balcony on deck 10 with large balcony. After I checked prices on Princess website, I realized that this balcony is the same price as mini suite. After my TA called them, they said we need to pay a difference between the current mini suite and what we paid.

That is the way it works.

Now if the mini-suite was priced the same as your original category that would be different.

You can't compare the pricing for a cabin you were upgraded to, only the pricing for the original category you were in.

My DW and I received a balcony upgrade on our second cruise. We went from a BD Baja to a BA caribe. Getting married on the Sapphire the year before helped, I guess. Princess does know their doing, we sailed in only BA's since. Now for our 10 year we are doing a vista suite.

This isn't what Pia was talking about. You received a fairly standard upgrade. The upgrades discussed were from ocean view to balcony or inside to ocean view cabins. The upgrade you received was from balcony to balcony. Very different.

I think the idea is that the balcony will be upgraded to suite at no cost to the passengers. They don't want to pay for a suite. It's probably like getting struck by lightening. It happens but not often. The upgrades you have been seeing here on the boards lately have been from balcony aft to balcony midship and so forth. For some of us, the "upgrade" isn't one. The best idea is to book the cabin you want instead of hoping a free upgrade will materialize.

About a year ago we received an upgrade at check in at the port in Copenhagen -- full suite. Originally booked a balcony, prices dropped so went to a mini suite with a $500 refund. The cruise was for 16 days so the suite was extremely well appreciated. About two weeks ago we received an email with an upgrade to a mini on our cruise in November. Two days ago we were checking in at Heathrow and were given an upgrade to First Class/Business Class. We have no idea why we have received these upgrades but we certainly are appreciative! !

About a year ago we received an upgrade at check in at the port in Copenhagen -- full suite. Originally booked a balcony, prices dropped so went to a mini suite with a $500 refund. The cruise was for 16 days so the suite was extremely well appreciated. About two weeks ago we received an email with an upgrade to a mini on our cruise in November. Two days ago we were checking in at Heathrow and were given an upgrade to First Class/Business Class. We have no idea why we have received these upgrades but we certainly are appreciative! !

You need to buy a lottery ticket!!

I booked an interior on my cruise leaving from Seattle to Alaska, I am

hoping to get an upgrade to a balcony since there are lots of balcony left

Rick

Don't hold your breath!

I've had 3 upgrades in 70+ cruises (other than same category "upgrades")

Carnival Conquest from inside to balcony, QM2 from inside to balcony and Diamond Princess from inside to outside (restricted view)

So it does happen - but not very often.

Edited by lake5298