Holland America Balcony Smoking Survey: Intermediate Results

POA1

For what it's worth, Frommers says that the average HAL cruiser is 58, which is within a half year of the survey average. While it may be true that older passengers are underrepresented here on CC, I can't recall very many of the children from the winter Caribbean and summer Alaska cruises posting here. Perhaps it evens out.

What makes you think that?:confused: Also what do you consider elderly?

Is 77 elderly??

POA1 expressed some surprise over the average age of respondents ("Based on the constant drumbeat about how old everyone is, I was expecting and average age in the upper 60s."). So, statistically speaking, to attain an average in the upper 60s would require a good number of the respondents to be considerably older. Lacking that higher average, my conclusion - and please don't miss the smiley - was that the missing considerably older people (termed "elderly" in common parlance) weren't contributing because they weren't on CC.

Is 77 elderly? For some people, most definitely; for other, most definitely not. I'm 66 and consider myself barely middle aged! :) According to the government, however, I'm a senior, and they pay me a monthly Old Age Security pension (let's not talk about claw backs!). By most dictionary definitions, that would make me "elderly".

Lazey1, for me it very much a state of mind and body; I can't set a specific age to it. So to take the discussion full circle, if you are here actively contributing to CC, you aren't elderly!

You have to adapt to your circumstances. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh, but seriously you can't cover everything. My DH accepts there are limitations to his cruising due to lack of mobility. Where does your husband smoke now? If on the balcony 20 times a day that certainly would impact a non-smoking neighbour. If you, as the companion, are the person with severe chronic pain, and cannot push a wheelchair, renting a scooter each might be an option - I have cruised several times with a husband and wife who each have one.

Yes life is all about adaptations and according to the experts who know my husband's case he does very well at that. We will be testing this new smoking ban in November, our first scheduled cruise that does not allow smoking on the balcony. He is doing everything he can to get stronger, and has a strong desire to make this work.He has light sensitivity and even with darker glasses, he makes being on deck work as much as possible. Maybe I mis-classified him as a mobility issue when the primary thing that is the issue is his level of pain which varies from 6.5 to 10 every day constantly. He is able to usually walk to meal or smoking locations once sometimes 2 times a day and will smoke in permitted locations during that time. A wheelchair would not change the frequency. He waits until no one is on the balcony next to us and listens for those above and below. Yes there is some impact and some are allergic and have other reasons it is problematic for them to smell smoke. Cruising is the only type of vacation that works.

Edited by qsuzi

I can't set a specific age to it. So to take the discussion full circle, if you are here actively contributing to CC, you aren't elderly!

Hey! Are you saying I can't contribute to CC anymore? 'Cause I know I can't get younger. ;)

I didn’t mean to offend anyone with my expectation that the average age of the people on this board would be higher. I just looked at the number of cruises people were taking and assumed that a significant proportion of the board readership - and by extension, the survey participants - would be retirees.

I should have just said that I was surprised at how pretty and handsome everyone was and called it a day. :D

I didn’t mean to offend anyone with my expectation that the average age of the people on this board would be higher. I just looked at the number of cruises people were taking and assumed that a significant proportion of the board readership - and by extension, the survey participants - would be retirees.

I should have just said that I was surprised at how pretty and handsome everyone was and called it a day. :D

Oops! I didn't realize my camera was on...:D

Yes life is all about adaptations and according to the experts who know my husband's case he does very well at that. We will be testing this new smoking ban in November, our first scheduled cruise that does not allow smoking on the balcony. He is doing everything he can to get stronger, and has a strong desire to make this work.He has light sensitivity and even with darker glasses, he makes being on deck work as much as possible. Maybe I mis-classified him as a mobility issue when the primary thing that is the issue is his level of pain which varies from 6.5 to 10 every day constantly. He is able to usually walk to meal or smoking locations once sometimes 2 times a day and will smoke in permitted locations during that time. A wheelchair would not change the frequency. He waits until no one is on the balcony next to us and listens for those above and below. Yes there is some impact and some are allergic and have other reasons it is problematic for them to smell smoke. Cruising is the only type of vacation that works.

It sounds like your husband is being very considerate in his smoking. However, in general terms, I still believe we have to adapt to our own circumstances - my DH and I are looking ahead to time, not too far away, unfortunately, when we will no longer be able to cruise due to his own mobility problems. And chronic pain means also limiting the amount of flying he can do. As I said before, you can't cover everything (and I see you used that for a thread title).:)

How was that more clear? The poster barked an order to only post if you would continue to sail with HAL if they kept smoking in place. When posters asked innocent questions they got replies that were not nice and were removed. I did not want to post and get yelled at so I didn't. This poll was private so I believe posters were not scared to express their feelings. I don't see how a one sided thread is more relevant. Please explain that.

Barked an order?? Get yelled at??

Has your husband considered trying one of the disposable electronic cigarettes (containing no tobacco) as an alternative when unable to access permitted smoking only locations when travelling?

*Please note this ^ is just a suggestion, and I do not wish to encourage a debate on the topic, of the health benefits for and against of electronic-cigarettes in general here on the forum

As you all may know we are implementing a new approach for discussions of smoking policies on Holland America ships.

For information on how the new approach was originated, please see this thread: Poll: Single Smoking Thread on the HAL Board - a Sticky.

Accordingly please continue the discussion in this, now closed, thread in the new thread which you will find in this link: Did You/Are You Switching Cruise Lines Because of HAL's Smoking Policies?

Thanks.