Friends of Jimmy K Meetings? (Anonymous meetings)

WolfSeeker

Hello!

I'm off on my first ever cruise excursion to Alaska via Holland America this September and I was wondering if there were any meetings for Friends of Jimmy K. This may sound confusing to some reading it, however it's in regards to an Anonymous meeting. I'm all for going to meetings with Friends of Bill W if need be. Recovery is Recovery...

I welcome any and all comments!

Thanks!

-Ross

I've got a lot of days aboard the HAL ships, and never heard of that group.

There is a Friends of Bill W meeting published in the daily program. That, and LGBT meetings are the only ones I have seen.

Edited by RuthC

I'll echo the previous ladies. The only ones I've seen on board are Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy (I think it's called something different now).

Having said that, what is "Friends of Jimmy K"? Never heard of it.

RuthC,

Thanks! It's an offshoot of the Friends of Bill W meetings... a different fellowship..

I'll check out the daily programs.

I'm looking forward to my Alaska trip... sailing from Seward South to Vancouver. I can't wait! September will be here before I know it. It's my first time on a cruise and my first time in Alaska and that part of Canada.

Any suggestions on must-do's while on board?

-Wolf

InnLady1,

Friends of Jimmy K is another Anonymous fellowship that was founded by a member of AA for people with problems with other substances. I'm a substance abuse counselor and I attend meetings for work (continuing education and to see what things are like in different types of communities).

-Wolf

RuthC,

Thanks! It's an offshoot of the Friends of Bill W meetings... a different fellowship..

I'll check out the daily programs.

I'm looking forward to my Alaska trip... sailing from Seward South to Vancouver. I can't wait! September will be here before I know it. It's my first time on a cruise and my first time in Alaska and that part of Canada.

Any suggestions on must-do's while on board?

-Wolf

Just try to sit back and take it all in, it is a spectacular cruise. You picked a good one for your first trip but hopefully not the last.

Thanks for the explanation of the Jimmy K group. I had never heard of them before today.

You will love Alaska.

I had not heard of Jimmy K either so I did a fast google.

One minute and I learned something new. :)

WofSeeker,

When you board the ship, contact the cruise director's staff and request that a Jimmy K meeting be added to the daily announcements. Depending on the turn out for the first meeting, you can decide if daily meetings are warranted or if you wish to attend the other support meetings.

YubaSutter - I find your post in poor taste. What part of anonymous don't you understand? Even if it were named for him, that would be an invasion of Jimmy K's privacy.

Really? Everyone knows Bill W. is Bill Wilson. It's not a secret. I disagree with you that it is an invasion of their privacy.

WofSeeker,

When you board the ship, contact the cruise director's staff and request that a Jimmy K meeting be added to the daily announcements. Depending on the turn out for the first meeting, you can decide if daily meetings are warranted or if you wish to attend the other support meetings.

This is a really great idea! The meetings have to start somewhere, might as well be the OP. I hope you have a good turn out if you do decide to initiate one, OP.

YubaSutter - I find your post in poor taste. What part of anonymous don't you understand? Even if it were named for him, that would be an invasion of Jimmy K's privacy.

What? That post was just fine. Anyway, after one dies, one has no "privacy" rights.

Jimmy Kinnon is hardly anonymous! Anyone in the substance abuse field knows he was the founder of Narcotics Anonymous. It's not a secret.

http://www.nawol.org/twpp01earlyhistory.html

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/jimmy-kinnon/

http://www.vvana.info/History_of_N.php

Edited by 6rugrats

JJones.. I also thought it was Jimmy Kimmel, but it happens to be Jimmy Kinnon who started Narcotics Anonymous... I Googled it..

Since they are both Public figures, it is not an invasion of either of their privacy's & Yuba Sutter surely does not deserve your absurd post...:confused:

Check out this WEB site;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Kinnon

&

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcotics_Anonymous

Edited by serendipity1499