Newbie with questions

perlgirlnj

Friends have asked us to join them on a Southern Caribbean cruise on Legend in February. We have cruised several lines, most recently European/Mediterranean itineraries on Azamara, but have never cruised Seabourn before and have a few questions.

While we have always enjoyed our full balconies midship, we are considering opting for the picture window alternative, frankly as a cost-saving measure and because the French balconies don’t seem like that big of a deal. If we chose a Category A cabin (forward on Deck 4), how rough a ride would that be? Is it worth it to pay more to get closer to mid-ship? If we did choose the Category A, I’d be looking to book 108, 109, 110 or 111 to be further away from the laundry and closer to midship. Is there anything I need to know about those cabins?

I went through a dummy booking on the Seabourn site to get the lay of the land and encountered a check-box I hadn’t seen before. It asked if we’d consider a different cabin as an alternative if a better cabin came up. (Something like that.) How does that work? It appears to be something different than a Guaranty. Sort of like an airline “Do you want to be considered for an upgrade?” Does this ever happen for newbie’s to the line? Does it ever work out worse for anyone?

I’ve read about the smoking policy both on the Seabourn website and on CC. We’re coming from a line that is more restrictive about smoking and so I’m a little nervous. Has anyone encountered cabins that smell smoky? (Without a balcony, I’m not as concerned with balcony smoke.)

I know this ship (Legend) is going out of the Seabourn line soon. Is it showing wear and tear at this point?

On dress code, I’ve read about the three codes. I’m not into the “Formal Optional” alternative; how out of place will we be if we “opt out”? And how dressy is “Elegantly Casual”? How many nights are apt to be “Formal Optional” or “Elegantly Casual” vs. “Resort Casual” on a 7 night Southern Caribbean sailing?

What else should we be asking? :) We’re excited to be trying something different but trying to get oriented before we go ahead and book it. Thanks for any advice and input you can share!

Hi Perlgirlnj,

On our first Seabourn cruise last year we took a guarantee on the Pride and drew 200 which was a window cabin way up front - and we loved it. On deck 5, very close to get out to the hot tub, cabin was a great size and window big enough to lie in bed and enjoy the view. We had some rough weather and didn't suffer at all. Haven't been on the Legend but the Pride was well maintained before its sale. We enjoyed the entire experience and are about to set sail on our third Seabourn cruise in a few days.

You can avoid formal night by booking in the verandah and on other nights a sports jacket / nice pants and top fit in very well. My other half takes a dark suit for formal night but doesn't bother with a tux.

I'll leave more experienced cruisers to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Have a great time!

D.

On a 7 day cruise there will likely be three resort casual, three elegantly casual and one formal optional. On the formal optional evening a jacket would be required in all venues after 6PM .

Just recently returned from a cruise on the Spirit and she was in great great( other than the odd plumbing issue which has forever plagued the little ships). We will embark on the Legend in September and I expect to find the ship in the same condition.

Regarding the lack of a balcony, you will find you won!t really miss it as you will end up spending more time socializing with your fellow passengers on deck. As to the suite, if you are prone to sea sickness you may want to book an A1 suite mid ships deck 4. Even the normally calm Caribbean can have some rough sea now and then. The upgrade offer is different from a GTY --- if you check yes even though you have selected a specific suite they might move you to a higher grade suite. But keep in mind higher grader might in some cases mean less desirable.For instance it could mean a handicapped suite without a bathtub.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A little off topic but.Chairsin I see you are from Az.I am originally from the East Coast where travel to Europe was quite easy. Any suggestions for flying from here.Seems like it will be a nightmare.

Thanks

Capri, flying BA form London to nice, rome to London is about as reliable as it gets from the UK.

The other options are budget airlines, which are patchy at times. Maybe if you are concerned try going the day before, but you are only really doing a two hour scheduled flight. If you are going from UK, obviously.

If we chose a Category A cabin (forward on Deck 4), how rough a ride would that be? Is it worth it to pay more to get closer to mid-ship? If we did choose the Category A, I’d be looking to book 108, 109, 110 or 111 to be further away from the laundry and closer to midship. Is there anything I need to know about those cabins?

----Cat A, should be the smoothest ride, midship, as you will be lowest.----

I went through a dummy booking on the Seabourn site to get the lay of the land and encountered a check-box I hadn’t seen before. It asked if we’d consider a different cabin as an alternative if a better cabin came up. (Something like that.) How does that work? It appears to be something different than a Guaranty. Sort of like an airline “Do you want to be considered for an upgrade?” Does this ever happen for newbie’s to the line? Does it ever work out worse for anyone?

----Yes, sometimes,the proposed "upgrade", may not be an upgrade in your eyes, and once the box is ticked, they can upgrade you and there is not much hope in getting your original cabin back, so be sure you want to do it----

On dress code, I’ve read about the three codes. I’m not into the “Formal Optional” alternative; how out of place will we be if we “opt out”? And how dressy is “Elegantly Casual”? How many nights are apt to be “Formal Optional” or “Elegantly Casual” vs. “Resort Casual” on a 7 night Southern Caribbean sailing?

----- you can avoid the dress code of the day, but you will be mainly eating in the veranda restaurant, as you will need a jacket for the main dining room on elegant casual and formal optional nights.------

Wripro,

My bad, thanks for pointing out,I missed out the 1, but i was talking about midship, thought there was quite a bit of noise from the anchor towards the front also.

I always have a balcony, as i love the outside inside feel of the french doors. only wish the newer ships had sliding doors.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

I thought in the Colonnade men needed at jacket at night for both elegant casual and formal...

Colonnade,is casual, no jacket required for elegant casual nights. However, in main dining room the dress code is jackets for elegant and formal nights.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Tilly,

Not sure where your got your info but I am reading directly out of the Herald from our June cruise-- "Elegantly casual -- Gentlemen: slacks and jacket worn over either a sweater or collared shirt." It does not say anything about an exemption for the Veranda/ Colonnade. Reading the info on page 8 of our Preliminary Cruise document package , "Attire for Evenings -- after 6 PM suggested attire for all venues on board will be one of the following, … Elegantly casual : Slacks and jacket over a sweater for men. Dress, skirt, or slacks and sweater or blouse for women. Jeans are not considered appropriate in the Restaurant." Seems pretty clear to me : jackets are required in the Colonnade after 6Pm on elegant casual nights.

Capri -- If you want to avoid BA/ Heathrow your other options from PHX are PHX-NCE via EWR( Newark -- frankly I try to avoid this airport) or PHX- NCE via JFK with Delta.Returning there are options on Delta/Air France and Alitalia going through either JFK or Atlanta.Otherwise you are looking at making two stops instead of one/

Chairsin,

The cruise i have just come back from on the Odyssey, did not require men to wear jackets in the colonnade on elegant casual nights, however, men were turned away from the MDR and or redirected to the colonnade if they did not wish to wear a jacket. This is where i got my info from, experience of my most recent SB cruise.

Sorry if it does not correspond with your experience.

Ronnie,

Look at the "Already Booked" Section of Seabourn's website. There under the section for FAQ's is the question " How Should I Pack?" The answer provided is " After 6PM attire for all venues on board will be one of the following: Elegantly casual : slacks and a jacket over a sweater or shirt for men." Tilly, obviously trying to be helpful, clearly experienced something different but that is neither the norm nor in keeping with SB's stated policy. Just bring a sport coat and then you will be safe.

In what respects?

I have heard they cancel quite a bit from Az and your seat even paid for in advance is not always your seat. They charge $55.00 per person per segment to try and get 2 seats together ahead of time.I ready do not want to fly for almost 11 hours in a middle seat or not with my husband.

Reading these posts about the dress code, and thinking about another current thread here, it occurs to me that an innovation for the new ship might be dinning venue where one does not have to wear anything at all.

Sorry I should have said PHX to Nice.Rome to PHX.My mistake. I wish we were as close as London.

We flew BA from SEA to Rome, Nice to SEA. Yes, the flight is LONG, but if you can "upgrade" to Premium Economy then getting 2 seats together is faily easy (and "included" if I remember correctly). The other nice thing about the layover in Heathrow (at least on the return flight) is that we did the customs/immigration portion there and made for a quicker exit from our home airport after the long flight. BA isn't perfect, but the domestic alternatives (Delta, American, etc) in my opinion, don't have the same caliber of service, especially if you are upgrading to business or FC.

Also, re: smoke smells in the cabins. We have taken 2 Seaborn cruises and although I am extremely sensitive to smoke, I have never had a problem in my cabin. Hopefully that helps.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have a different opinion

BA Premium Economy was a big disappointment. We decided to give it a try on our recent return from London.

Just flew outbound from Phx to Heathrow in Business (nice -- upper deck) and returned in Premium Economy -- screaming kids, assigned two center seats (refuse to pay $95 for a seat selection), inedible food, no leg room at all when seat in front is reclined. I would not do it again.

we live in Arizona and we make 3 or 4 trips abroad a year. We have miles so we fly from a city that will let us use them . BUT even without miles I recommend that you take a cheap flight on Southwest to LAX (no baggage fees) and book a flight from LAX. You will have tons of options for airlines, more direct flights and best of all you can fly over the east coast which often has weather issues no matter the time of year. This strategy has worked very well for us. We do it all the time.