Vietnam Visa - Is this true?

danny8826

I emailed the customer service at RCCI regarding Vietnam Visa and this is the answer I received (see below).

If you have been to Vietnam with RCCI, could you please share your thoughts. I can't believe the price of the visa they charge. Is it even real?

Thank you.

------------

For United States and Canadian citizens sailing with Royal Caribbean International, the ship will assist guests with acquiring visa for Vietnam upon arrival. The fee for group visa, which will be applied to almost all guests onboard, is $10.00 per person. The fee for individual visa, which is usually applied if a guest decides to disembark in Vietnam to return home, is $50.00 per person. Please be advised that this is subject to change without notice.

Do you think it's too low or high?

Just be glad they don't charge the same amount that the US charges for just submitting a visa application; $160 - nonrefundable even if you are turned down!

Aloha,

John

I emailed the customer service at RCCI regarding Vietnam Visa and this is the answer I received (see below).

If you have been to Vietnam with RCCI, could you please share your thoughts. I can't believe the price of the visa they charge. Is it even real?

Thank you.

------------

For United States and Canadian citizens sailing with Royal Caribbean International, the ship will assist guests with acquiring visa for Vietnam upon arrival. The fee for group visa, which will be applied to almost all guests onboard, is $10.00 per person. The fee for individual visa, which is usually applied if a guest decides to disembark in Vietnam to return home, is $50.00 per person. Please be advised that this is subject to change without notice.

That sounds about right to me

Vietnam recently changed some visa arrangements

And rccl must have negotiated reduced rate for group as I'm used to paying between 20 and 50

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you think it's too low or high?

Just be glad they don't charge the same amount that the US charges for just submitting a visa application; $160 - nonrefundable even if you are turned down!

Aloha,

John

Not for ESTA allowed passport holders? $20 for ESTA free visa on arrival in USA.

$10 for a group visa is extremely cheap! You are lucky that the cruise line has negotiated a discount.

I'm in the process of planning a 2 week trip to Vietnam and Cambodia at year end and the $50 individual visa is legit. I rang up the Vietnamese consulate in New York to ask about visas for our trip. Cost of a single entry one month visa is $100 and goes up to $140 if you want a longer term or multi entry visa. That's if you want the stamped visa in your passport before you fly out. Fortunately, vietnam has the Visa on Arrival (VOA) arrangement which is much cheaper and used by most travelers, based on the TripAdvisor forums. It works like this - a travel agent in Vietnam will get you a pre approval letter from the Vietnam Department of Immigration. When you land at Hanoi or HCMC, you take this letter plus a completed visa form plus $45 to the immigration counter and you will get a stamped visa in your passport. The $45 is the stamping fee. For us, the pre approval letter from a Vietnamese agency did not cost anything as we are doing a custom tour and our agency provided the pre approval letter as part of the service. But people who are traveling independent can also get a pre approval letter from a number of Vietnamese agencies for a fee, ranging from $8-25. That's on top of the $45 stamping fee. So you see, the $50 fee for the individual VOA sounds totally legit.

Vietnamese visa fees are actually cheap compared to other countries. I was in China last year and the visa fee was $140, yikes! The annoying part is, they give everyone a one year multiple entry visa, so even if you don't need a multi entry, you'll get it anyways. At least Vietnam offers the option for a cheaper way to get the visa. No such luck for China!

Edited by Baby_Bear

$10 for a group visa is extremely cheap! You are lucky that the cruise line has negotiated a discount.

I'm in the process of planning a 2 week trip to Vietnam and Cambodia at year end and the $50 individual visa is legit. I rang up the Vietnamese consulate in New York to ask about visas for our trip. Cost of a single entry one month visa is $100 and goes up to $140 if you want a longer term or multi entry visa. That's if you want the stamped visa in your passport before you fly out. Fortunately, vietnam has the Visa on Arrival (VOA) arrangement which is much cheaper and used by most travelers, based on the TripAdvisor forums. It works like this - a travel agent in Vietnam will get you a pre approval letter from the Vietnam Department of Immigration. When you land at Hanoi or HCMC, you take this letter plus a completed visa form plus $45 to the immigration counter and you will get a stamped visa in your passport. The $45 is the stamping fee. For us, the pre approval letter from a Vietnamese agency did not cost anything as we are doing a custom tour and our agency provided the pre approval letter as part of the service. But people who are traveling independent can also get a pre approval letter from a number of Vietnamese agencies for a fee, ranging from $8-25. That's on top of the $45 stamping fee. So you see, the $50 fee for the individual VOA sounds totally legit.

Vietnamese visa fees are actually cheap compared to other countries. I was in China last year and the visa fee was $140, yikes! The annoying part is, they give everyone a one year multiple entry visa, so even if you don't need a multi entry, you'll get it anyways. At least Vietnam offers the option for a cheaper way to get the visa. No such luck for China!

If you have not yet been to Cambodia make sure you have your passport sized photograph ready as it is collected and stamped along with your passport while paying your VOA fee at immigration;)

Not for ESTA allowed passport holders? $20 for ESTA free visa on arrival in USA.

Quite true for the citizens of the 38 countries in the visa waiver program...

US citizens (like myself) are lucky that more countries either don't charge the same that the US does!

Aloha,

John

If you have not yet been to Cambodia make sure you have your passport sized photograph ready as it is collected and stamped along with your passport while paying your VOA fee at immigration;)

My understanding was we would need separate photos for both the Vietnam and Cambodia legs, right? We will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks, then fly to Siem Reap at the end of the trip to spend 2 days and see the Angkor Wat. I had figured we would need photos in both Hanoi and Siem Reap. Thank goodness Cambodia charges less, think it's $20 per head and its a true VOA, meaning no need for a pre approval letter.

Thank you.

------------

When we went in 1996 the charge was much higher, this is a bargain. When I was there in 1968 the trip was free, considering inflation this is not a bad price.

:eek::eek:

My understanding was we would need separate photos for both the Vietnam and Cambodia legs, right? We will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks, then fly to Siem Reap at the end of the trip to spend 2 days and see the Angkor Wat. I had figured we would need photos in both Hanoi and Siem Reap. Thank goodness Cambodia charges less, think it's $20 per head and its a true VOA, meaning no need for a pre approval letter.

I got Vietnam visas from home and also passports were held while in Vietnam when visiting on a cruise, so not sure about the photos but am sure you will need them as you only have the sponsor letter not the visa when you arrive.

Immigration is simple in Cambodia as long as you have the Photo,s ready, they are more interested in the $20 anyway:D

Cambodia is a great destination but very sad especially if you ever get a chance to visit Tolsleng and the killing fields if in Phnom Phen.Hard to believe this geneside was still going on in the late 80,s right before our eyes:eek:

Yes, its a very tragic history. We were trying to visit Phnom Penh as well to see the Killing Fields museum, but really wanted to have more time in Vietnam.

Its crazy that RCL holds your passport, but I guess its to prevent people getting off without visas. For land trips, no such restriction, although I had read on the blogs that staying in cheaper hotels, sometimes they may take your passport to ensure you pay. For us, since we are doing a custom tour and its all 5* hotels and prepaid, our agency told us we would just hand over our passports on arrival at the hotels and they would scan them and return them to us. Which is the same in pretty much every country I've ever visited.

ESTA isn't a visa, it's a visa waiver! It cost me $14 last month and lasts for 2 years, doesn't stop the Immigration guys treating you like dirt when you arrive though!. A visa, certainly for UK citizens, costs over $100 and entails a visit to the embassy.

You also have to shell out another US$20 per day for the Angkor Pass to see any temple plus your guide fee.

Plus Cambodia charge a US$25 departure tax at the airport

Edited by basilisk43

ESTA isn't a visa, it's a visa waiver! It cost me $14 last month and lasts for 2 years, doesn't stop the Immigration guys treating you like dirt when you arrive though!. A visa, certainly for UK citizens, costs over $100 and entails a visit to the embassy.

I didnt say ESTA was a visa:confused: But ESTA will allow you a "free" VOA (Visa On Arrival) to USA for 30 days if of course you satisfy US emigration on landing in a US port. ESTA is just an entitlement to travel to USA not a right to stay. My last one purchased this May 2014 cost $20 US pp

I have never been treated like Dirt by US emigration officers? They are doing a job day in day out and still need to treat each person on an individual basis and reason for arrival.

I am a British Citizen and Australian citizen and ESTA for me is $20 US, irrespective of my citizenship I would need to visit a US embassy if I wanted to stay longer on a non tourist visa, most countries are similar! Ever tried Australia:eek:

For a multiple entry visa to Vietnam it requires me to pay quite a hefty sum along with 2 passport photos and a return registered mail envelope for passports to be returned to me once visas are issued:)

Many people do not understand foreign laws and USA is "Very Strict" on those who cannot obtain E.S.T.A, once denied E.S.T.A "Flagged forever" and then you need a Visa and the hassle that comes along with obtaining one, like being questioned by a US emigration officer on arrival:)

Thank you.

------------

This is the same deal as with our Celebrity cruise via Vietnam in March this year. You are required to have two passport photos to go with this visa. The ship arranges it all. Passports are collected on a sea day before arrival. On the first day in Vietnam, officials will board the ship and go through all these passports and give the ok for the visas. The $10 one is for those returning back to the ship the same day. The more expensive one is for those that are doing an overnighter away from the ship. For those that are staying overnight ashore, the actual visas are given to you.....you have to line up in the morning to get them, after the officials have done their check. Most of us took two passport pics from home, as the ship charges more for taking the pics. Suggest you def have photocopy of passport in your wallet/purse when going ashore.

All passports are given back just before end of cruise.

Hope this helps assure you that the practice is normal for Vietnam...and cheap:)

This is the same deal as with our Celebrity cruise via Vietnam in March this year. You are required to have two passport photos to go with this visa. The ship arranges it all. Passports are collected on a sea day before arrival. On the first day in Vietnam, officials will board the ship and go through all these passports and give the ok for the visas. The $10 one is for those returning back to the ship the same day. The more expensive one is for those that are doing an overnighter away from the ship. For those that are staying overnight ashore, the actual visas are given to you.....you have to line up in the morning to get them, after the officials have done their check. Most of us took two passport pics from home, as the ship charges more for taking the pics. Suggest you def have photocopy of passport in your wallet/purse when going ashore.

All passports are given back just before end of cruise.

Hope this helps assure you that the practice is normal for Vietnam...and cheap:)

Hi, We inquired at the local travel agent last week, who told us it would cost 140 PLUS another 100 for them to process it, total 240 EACH they .said we needed to have it as we were going to be stopping at 2 different Vietnam ports in 2 days on the Celebrity Century! I wonder if we can stay on the ship for 1 of those days ? Think I had better check this out further.

Cheers Deb

Hi, We inquired at the local travel agent last week, who told us it would cost 140 PLUS another 100 for them to process it, total 240 EACH they .said we needed to have it as we were going to be stopping at 2 different Vietnam ports in 2 days on the Celebrity Century! I wonder if we can stay on the ship for 1 of those days ? Think I had better check this out further.

Cheers Deb

Wow!!! Suggest you def check it out yourself with Celebrity. It may even be on their web site, or ring them. We were on the Millenium, with 3 stops in Vietnam. Two of these stops allowed for overnighters, but we opted to return to ship each night. Even so, the ship organised visas for overnighters did not go anywhere near this amount you were quoted. The cruiseline organised onboard, as I wrote earlier. I am highly guessing that your TA is misinformed, or unaware of Celebrity policy. Have read that all other cruiselines do same process for Vietnam visas.

If I can find it on Celebrity site, I will reply with a link for you.....but ring:)

Angelwingsflys.....I found it on their web site. Attached, scroll down to bottom of page under 'Asia' heading. It confirms that the visas for Vietnam and Cambodia ARE organised onboard, with the small amount being debited to your onboard ship account. For a backup, apart from ringing them, do a search within this section for visa to vietnam. Plenty of confirmation here. Also, by memory, it is somewhere within your cruise personaliser.

http://celebritycruises.com.au/content/en_AU/plan_and_book/travel_documentation.html?tab=passport_and_visa_reauirements/content/en_AU/plan_and_book/passport_and_visa_requirements_.html

Feel better???

Angelwingsflys.....I found it on their web site. Attached, scroll down to bottom of page under 'Asia' heading. It confirms that the visas for Vietnam and Cambodia ARE organised onboard, with the small amount being debited to your onboard ship account. For a backup, apart from ringing them, do a search within this section for visa to vietnam. Plenty of confirmation here. Also, by memory, it is somewhere within your cruise personaliser.

http://celebritycruises.com.au/content/en_AU/plan_and_book/travel_documentation.html?tab=passport_and_visa_reauirements/content/en_AU/plan_and_book/passport_and_visa_requirements_.html

Feel better???

Hi bobhsv,

Yes! I feel much better ,thank you so much ,was starting to worry that this cruise was starting to get out of hand ,money wise.

Once again THANK YOU :D

Cheers Deb

If you are asking if they will obtain the visas for you that is what most cruse lines do.

There are different types of visas which ships obtain on board. Even one if you are arriving back to the port very late at night and have an overnight in port or you are staying off the ship.

As to price, if that is what they said that is what it is and if per chance there is an error it will likely still be a low price.

Keith