Overwhelmed!

LiseD

We chose Vantage because it was recommended by a friend. We chose Amsterdam to Budapest because it goes through more than one country. The Rhine is spectacular with vineyards and castles everywhere. The food was wonderful and the guides were excellent.

If you sailed on a river to Budapest, didn't you sail on the Danube? Haven't stopped to look at a map, but our trip was up the Rhine to Amsterdam. You know, this trip can be taken in seven days, where sailing is often completed at night (so your options on a warm summer day seldom includes sitting and watching the river banks go by, can be quite delightful.

It sort of gets back to how you handle ocean cruise ports: do you buy a ship's excursion by selecting from their descriptions, or do you read about the location and sometimes join a private trip offered on a Roll Call? Many people with me last June declared that they just never did cruise excursions any more, whether they planned a walk by themselves, or something that included previously arranged travel, etc. They went out with the information, at least, that they had obtained from like TripAdvisor and had a plan? As an example, we "followed" a wonderful young man off of the Viking bus at Basel into town (it seems like Viking has four new Mercedes coaches that drive up/down the Rhine for the southern half of the cruise -- and who know if a bus ride with stops to enter various building and vineyards would have been more enjoyable?). During the couple of tour hours he introduced himself as a German who had just joined a local orchestra who had no training in Swiss history, etc. It was quite interesting that I remember the first stop was an art museum, where we stopped for a discussion at the entrance courtyard (not an admission and a tour that would require our "leader" to know something about art history?). Its strange, but I remember most of the strange experiences we had on the boat, most only considered "strange" when we sat with (mainly UK passengers) experienced European travelers. It is quite strange what I remember and how these experiences are the opposite of what I expected on a boat with less than 200 passengers! I think that they mainly reflected a corporate climate in which Viking expects its passengers to be inexperienced and mainly focused on how much wine or beer comes with lunch and dinner and the purchase of upgraded whiskey from the bar. I understand that there are great discussions of food, dress, and drink on Cruise Critic, but for myself there is a difference between a winter's week in the Caribbean that gets you away from winter and cooking your own meals (you don't really care about where you are going, just like a warm winter's night and maybe a walk along the beach?) and your first (or second) day's visit to Athens and Istanbul? To be exact, I have no positive ideas about the corporate climate of Celebrity, and in general, once I knew that their call center was moved from Florida where the company is located to the Midwest (so that any personalized questions would never receive an accurate answer) I was pretty much set (problems understood, not to be solved!). I anticipated a comfortable ship with pretty good food and that's what I got. Our days at port were each designed by myself and my wife, and the more we planned, the better the experience! To answer my general question about river cruises, I guess that the participant needs to be given options for the morning or the day from which to choose and if you have "studied" before the vacation, did you learn anything from the guide? I guess that it can be quite transparent how a company goes about maximizing its profits. It seems that a river cruise company puts only as much money as minimally necessary in its various accounts (we tend to be sociable, and just talking to others at meal time is "entertaining"). On the other hand, we were approached about specialty dinning on the Constellation daily, and just smiled it off. Being in our late 60s, the volume and quality of food, given a range of choices and some interest in being at times moderate, we don't go (indeed, I've been a Type II diabetic for 20+ years, and often search out the salad bar and select sugar-free desserts that are routinely available. Rather than searching for previous tablemates for dinner, we usually select a early seating and find we can have pleasant conversation about our day's activities among the three other couples seated with us each night. (For myself, I got to compare what we did to a ship's tour from one couple, and actually had one opportunity to share our tour option with another couple.)

DJ

We were on the Main the Rhine and the Danube. Tours were included with two options at each stop. Tour guides were from the ship along with a local and all were very knowledgable. We went to an optional dinner in Vienna.

I very much enjoyed sitting out on the deck chatting with other passengers and watching the beautiful scenery. There was also intermittent commentary from the bridge when we were passing something of note.We were there in July of 2006

We were on the Main the Rhine and the Danube. Tours were included with two options at each stop. Tour guides were from the ship along with a local and all were very knowledgable. We went to an optional dinner in Vienna.

I very much enjoyed sitting out on the deck chatting with other passengers and watching the beautiful scenery. There was also intermittent commentary from the bridge when we were passing something of note.We were there in July of 2006

Hello,

I see we have "grandmothers" from both Oregon and Florida. The above sounds like an improvement in the effort to provide optimal resources to the port tour experiences? Please indicate where (beginning, end), river cruise company, and number of nights. Following our general guidance, we less about food, as long as there are choices. Really don't care about provided alcohol, its clear that if we routinely drank coffee at breakfast and either water or iced tea at lunch and dinner, we paid for the drinks of others or just were great candidates to provide excess profits to Viking? Obviously, we were impressed with "new" ships and all of the ads on PBS (that add together 5-second impressions, the best from many different river cruises).

Obviously, any additional exxperience will do as you say, comparing price, ports, nights and when river cruising occurs. The "mystery" of Viking and ships being tied up and blocking your window and balcony is NOT a mystery, and easily could be explained by Viking: they either own or leave docks that accomodate one boat. The "other" boat is always from Viking and where you are positioned reflects the timing of boat arrivals and departures! Must happen every week and the only answer would be to have provision for two boats at these locations?

We like to mix experiences in a 3 or 4-week vacation, and will consider a France experience that ends in Marsailles joined with a Mediterranean cruise that starts in Barcelona. I figure a Marseilles/Barcelona one-way flight is easily obtained (not bus or train?). I guess some discussion of alternatives cruise companies is in order and some serious booklet requests (and then the junk mail increases by 30-40%!)

DJ:)

Bucking what appears to be a trend, here, we actually felt that, if we're flying across the pond, we wanted to maximize our time on a river cruise. Our going-in assumption in these situations is always, "We may never get there again." So, we looked for cruises that were closer to two weeks.

First off we chose Viking due to several friends that have cruised with them. That was the easy part for us. Then I studied itineraries and chose Amsterdam to Budapest because of the same attitude as above.

We chose Vantage because it was recommended by a friend. We chose Amsterdam to Budapest because it goes through more than one country. The Rhine is spectacular with vineyards and castles everywhere. The food was wonderful and the guides were excellent.

We liked the idea of visiting more than one or two countries as well.

For those wanting to get multiple countries: Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, France, Luxembourg and Switzerland . . . one cruise and a bit more than two weeks (3 weeks plus with extension). Romance of the Rhein and Mosel with Grand Circle Cruise Line.

Your vacation is what YOU make of it. At no time on our Budapest to Amsterdam Avalon cruise did we feel herded or forced to do anything ashore. Their were walking tours, often preceded by bus tour, of every stop. Do the tour or not, your choice. Stay on the ship (some did occasionally) or go on your own (some did occasionally). It's YOUR vacation.

We did all the walking tours (and a few optional) because that's our behavior even when traveling on our own to a new place - take an overview tour, first. That's OUR approach - others go solely on their own. Different strokes ... If there is something we really want to see in port, we make sure and see it - whether it means deviating from the tour (and having the courtesy to inform the tour guide) or simply going on our own.

Most stops allowed plenty of free time to explore further, have a local lunch or just hit a cafe for coffee or Eis (ice cream!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have been reading the posts on this forum. As you may have gleaned from the responses you just might become addicted to river cruising once you begin. We did ocean cruises for many years. My husband joked that he was putting off river cruises until he was "old". Maybe that is what we are now, but we find that river cruisers are far more active that our acquaintances on ocean going ships.

Once we went on a river cruise (Rhone on Uniworld) in 2010 we quickly booked a 2nd (Douro - Uniworld), then a 3rd (Prague to Budapest - AMA), then a 4th (Bordeaux - Viking). Now have a 5th (Rhine to Basel - AMA) and a 6th (Normandy - Viking) upcoming. Still squeezing in some ocean voyages (Crystal), but are seeking out as many Europe river itineraries as we can.

My advice, to assist you in your decision is to find a cruise focused travel agent who deals with River Cruise companies and can help you with the research. Also should be able to share preferences of his/her other clients. Also sign up for the websites of several of the top lines and watch for emails with special deals. We usually find a discounted price, then check with our travel agent who verifies with his contacts at the specific cruise line or lines.

Happy hunting!

How did you all narrow down the choices? I want to go to Europe but beyond that I have NO clue! They all sound great!! :) Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

After much deliberation, we settled on a Grand Circle Travel river cruise (Romance of the Rhine and Mosel) in November 2015. I had been reading the river cruise forum for about a year, trying to choose an itinerary, cruise line, and date. With so many options and glowing reviews, it really did seem like an impossible task!

For what it's worth, we narrowed it down by:

1. Choosing a general itinerary (river or rivers, where the cruise begins and ends, etc.)

2. Figuring out our priorities (the itinerary and quality of the tours was a high priority for us)

3. Comparing several options for our preferred itinerary, exploring those options in depth. (We looked at itinerary, cabin options, tours, cost, etc. of Viking's Rhine Getaway, GCT's Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, and AMA's Enchanting Rhine.)

4. Budget (we are traveling with some friends, so this was a joint decision)

5. Talking to someone we felt we could trust (I was going to consult a travel agent but happened to bump into a well-traveled, very active friend who speaks very highly of GCT after taking several trips with them. Her input definitely helped us make a decision.)

Our trip is still a long ways off, so I am in no position to recommend our trip over any other. We felt that the GCT river cruise would be a good fit for us at this time. But I am guessing that we would also be happy with one of the other options. Hope you can figure out what might work best for you!

For what it is worth, here is a little more about how we settled on this specific cruise with GCT:

• Looking at the various itineraries and prices (including the cost of airfare), we decided in favor of a longer cruise - about two weeks.
  • We liked the idea of visiting several different countries and the specific ports and tour options of this itinerary appealed to us.
  • We start off in Basel, Switzerland and end up in Antwerp, Belgium. The itinerary (if all goes according to plan) includes stops in Strasbourg, Riquewihr, Baden-Baden, Speyer, Boppard, Cochem, Bernkastel, Trier, Zell, Bonn, Nijmegen, and Kinderdijk.
  • We are extending the trip with a few days in Bruges, Belgium afterwards.
  • Note: We've been to Amsterdam, Lucerne, Mainz, etc. on previous trips to Europe and enjoyed them but wanted to visit new places, so that also helped us make up our minds.

Good luck!

Edited by Sapphire73

Romance of Rhein and Mosel is a great trip. Just a note . . . Riquewihr and Baden-Baden are bus tours from Strasbourg. We felt that there was so much to see and do in Strasbourg that we skipped Baden-Baden for more time in Strasbourg. The stop in Zell was the day of the optional to Luxenbourg.

Sounds great! You did your homework well, and the trip sounds great. We'll be doing Vantage's Rhine & Moselle cruise at this time next year. I'm excited for you (and for us!!). Now we all just have to wait a year. :-(

FuelScience

After much deliberation, we settled on a Grand Circle Travel river cruise (Romance of the Rhine and Mosel) in November 2015. I had been reading the river cruise forum for about a year, trying to choose an itinerary, cruise line, and date. With so many options and glowing reviews, it really did seem like an impossible task!

For what it's worth, we narrowed it down by:

1. Choosing a general itinerary (river or rivers, where the cruise begins and ends, etc.)

2. Figuring out our priorities (the itinerary and quality of the tours was a high priority for us)

3. Comparing several options for our preferred itinerary, exploring those options in depth. (We looked at itinerary, cabin options, tours, cost, etc. of Viking's Rhine Getaway, GCT's Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, and AMA's Enchanting Rhine.)

4. Budget (we are traveling with some friends, so this was a joint decision)

5. Talking to someone we felt we could trust (I was going to consult a travel agent but happened to bump into a well-traveled, very active friend who speaks very highly of GCT after taking several trips with them. Her input definitely helped us make a decision.)

Our trip is still a long ways off, so I am in no position to recommend our trip over any other. We felt that the GCT river cruise would be a good fit for us at this time. But I am guessing that we would also be happy with one of the other options. Hope you can figure out what might work best for you!

For what it is worth, here is a little more about how we settled on this specific cruise with GCT:

• Looking at the various itineraries and prices (including the cost of airfare), we decided in favor of a longer cruise - about two weeks.
  • We liked the idea of visiting several different countries and the specific ports and tour options of this itinerary appealed to us.
  • We start off in Basel, Switzerland and end up in Antwerp, Belgium. The itinerary (if all goes according to plan) includes stops in Strasbourg, Riquewihr, Baden-Baden, Speyer, Boppard, Cochem, Bernkastel, Trier, Zell, Bonn, Nijmegen, and Kinderdijk.
  • We are extending the trip with a few days in Bruges, Belgium afterwards.
  • Note: We've been to Amsterdam, Lucerne, Mainz, etc. on previous trips to Europe and enjoyed them but wanted to visit new places, so that also helped us make up our minds. Good luck!

From June 2014's vacation, I'd add: (1) even if you've had a fairly recent comprehensive visit to Amsterdam, if you haven't visited the newly reopened, renovated Reijksmuseum, you would be sorry to mis this wonderful experience. If accumulated laudry is an issue, the Marriott is a perfect location and guests have access to washing machines/dryers (no well known!).

With a continuing emphasis on Northern Renaissance art (also in Strasbourg) we spent time in Ghent and Bruges: surprised at the difference: Ghent was wonderful (just the location, and the Marriott is right across a great seafood restaurant in an ancient building) with few tourists, while Bruges is the center for day tourists (thousands of them!) the Bruges train station could have been from Chicago (elevator and escalator to each track) -- loved the Gronigen museum (not to be missed if you love art) but the crush of tourists 22/24 June was a surprise.

Once we went on a river cruise (Rhone on Uniworld) in 2010 we quickly booked a 2nd (Douro - Uniworld), then a 3rd (Prague to Budapest - AMA), then a 4th (Bordeaux - Viking). Now have a 5th (Rhine to Basel - AMA) and a 6th (Normandy - Viking) upcoming. Still squeezing in some ocean voyages (Crystal), but are seeking out as many Europe river itineraries as we can.

You're somewhat unique on these boards in that you've cruised with 3 different lines, whereas most of us tend to stick with the first one we try. It would be great if you could make a brief post (possibly start a new thread), giving your overall impressions of Uniworld, AMA, and Viking telling what you liked/disliked most about each when compared to the other two.

Thanks,

FuelScience

I doubt that tourist hordes in June will exist in November . . . but make one of the first purchases once in Europe a decent size umbrella. Even if it works as a rain chaser, it's money well spent.

Sapphire, visit the GCT website and read the trip reviews there.

Thank you all for your comments.

Romance of Rhein and Mosel is a great trip. Just a note . . . Riquewihr and Baden-Baden are bus tours from Strasbourg. We felt that there was so much to see and do in Strasbourg that we skipped Baden-Baden for more time in Strasbourg. The stop in Zell was the day of the optional to Luxenbourg.

CPT Trips, thanks for the clarification. I did realize that Riquewihr and Baden-Baden involve a bus trip, but was sloppy in wording my post. Btw, your input was also very helpful as we explored GCT. If it were not for our friend (who first told us about OAT and GCT a couple of years ago), I would have followed up with you to give you a credit with GCT. Thank you!

We'll be doing Vantage's Rhine & Moselle cruise at this time next year. I'm excited for you (and for us!!). Now we all just have to wait a year. :-(

Fuel Science, I'll look forward to reading about your river cruise next August as we anticipate our trip! Hope you have a wonderful time.

Taking the advice of a friend whose advice you trust and whom has the same style and interests than you is the best way to go. Have a great time.

Thank you, Got2Cruise!

If you haven't visited the newly reopened, renovated Reijksmuseum, you would be sorry to miss this wonderful experience.... Loved the Gronigen museum (not to be missed if you love art) but the crush of tourists 22/24 June was a surprise.

We definitely hope to visit Amsterdam again. And thanks for the tip about the Gronigen museum!

Sapphire, visit the GCT website and read the trip reviews there.

I spent a lot of time on the GCT website - along with ordering brochures from other cruise lines and browsing their website.

Thank you all.

Edited by Sapphire73