Looking for help deciding if Epic Med cruise is suitable

Mumof2

Hi,

My parents would like to go on a cruise, and my sister and I would accompany them. This has come up last minute so we are scrambling. We are considering NCL Epic Sept. 21 (yes, next month!!) Med cruise, with ports: Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Cannes, Palma de Mallorca. Here's the issue...my parents are 80 and 81, and cannot do extensive walking. Mum was thinking she could just get off the ship and putter around, much as she's done for Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico and Northern Europe. I know that Rome is a ways away and would take a guided tour. She doesn't usually want tours due to the expense and rigidity. If she feels tired she wants to be able to walk back to the ship. So other than Rome, are these ports suitable to just walk off the ship and see the sights? Or are they ugly industrial areas?

Thanks for any input. I am researching, but we are in such a rush to book something!

Mel

I've been to most of these ports, but not Cannes.

Barcelona: the cruise port is in a picturesque harbor and she could walk around, although I think the pier with restaurants is probably a mile away.

Naples, Rome and Florence/Pisa: my recollection of these is that there isn't much around the port to really look at. Florence's port is an industrial port and I'm not sure you're even allowed to walk around in it. We had a private tour in each of these ports that met us at the ship and whisked us away. That might actually be an option for you. A private tour with just your group; the driver stays with you throughout the day so if she would be comfortable in the van while resting she could still see some of the sites. We used Rome In Limo for our private tours.

Palma de Mallorca: you dock in a nice harbor. We like walking, and walked over to the cathedral, but I think that was a couple of miles. But walking around the harbor is definitely doable for her.

Cannes is definitely worth just taking the tender and walking around the town.

Taking the tenders are well organised with plenty of crew helping passengers on and off. Admiring the boats in the harbour is fab.

In most ports there are hop on hop off buses that will give you a tour of the area at a reasonable cost too.

Cannes and naples are the only ports where you can get off and wonder around. Cannes is apparently nice - I've not been

Barcelona is an ugly port. It is a five minute taxi rice to the interesting area of town - they won't be able to walk it (la rambla, port vell)

Palma is a ten min taxi ride to the city of Palma - too far to walk - (cathedral, beaches)

Rome is a free shuttle to train station, 1 hour train ride or 1.5 hour taxi ride away. There will be lots of taxis waiting in civitivecchia for your business, they will take you on a guided tour of Rome (at a price'of course but cheaper than Rome in Limo tours which are incredibly expensive)

Livorno - Ugly port. It is a trek to the old town - epic run a shuttle for €12 return (it's apparently quite nice to wander around) but the real places of interest are Pisa (15 mins train ride) Florence (1 hour 10 train ride)

Naples is another place you can get off and wander around, I love wandering around naples. So much to see. But many people hate it and can't see through the surface of its mucky diamonds! There is wonderful street food to be had in naples, great museums, art etc. beautiful buildings (if you can look past the graffiti!) just be careful with your bag walking around (same with Barcelona)

Edited by kfowinst

If your parents want to see Europe, river cruising is another option. The boat most often than not berthed (docked) close to town if not in the town centre itself. Your mother can walk around leisurely as she likes.

You'll experience Europe more than just a few hours in a port.

Edited by anandaindonesia

If your parents want to see Europe, river cruising is another option. The boat most often than not berthed (docked) close to town if not in the town centre itself. Your mother can walk around leisurely as she likes.

You'll experience Europe more than just a few hours in a port.

This is a goof idea but I suspect they are more expensive than ocean cruises

I second the idea of a river cruise based on what your mother has ideas about doing

As a frequent med and Europe traveler I have long ago realized that while sea cruises can be rock bottom pricing the ports may not be considering personal circumstances

Some can diy with no problem and save a ton of money but it doesn't sound as if your parents are suited for DIY in Rome or Livorno

I would consider the extra cost if a private tour

500e for the 4 of you for 8 hour air conditioned car with driver who will accommodate your needs

Mom can sit or tour

Will be in comfort and tour will be tailored to your needs

Rome. Florence. Amalfi coast

If you don't want to consider a river cruise do consider increasing your budget for private tours

Otherwise your mom will not see Rome or Florence. And will be uncomfortable in Naples

Barcelona needs transport via cab for her and she will be in big crowds

Cannes is nicely walkable

Majorca will be nice as well

But that is it

IMHO increase your budget and see the stuff properly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

My parents would like to go on a cruise, and my sister and I would accompany them. This has come up last minute so we are scrambling. We are considering NCL Epic Sept. 21 (yes, next month!!) Med cruise, with ports: Barcelona, Naples, Rome, Florence/Pisa, Cannes, Palma de Mallorca. Here's the issue...my parents are 80 and 81, and cannot do extensive walking. Mum was thinking she could just get off the ship and putter around, much as she's done for Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico and Northern Europe. I know that Rome is a ways away and would take a guided tour. She doesn't usually want tours due to the expense and rigidity. If she feels tired she wants to be able to walk back to the ship. So other than Rome, are these ports suitable to just walk off the ship and see the sights? Or are they ugly industrial areas?

Thanks for any input. I am researching, but we are in such a rush to book something!

Mel

Just wanted to give you an input about the Epic itself - it is a huge ship, and your parents might need to do some extensive walking also while one the ship, just to get from one place to another. The newer ships (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway) only have elevators forward and aft, and no elevators midships. So take a good look at the deck plans before you decide to book, so that you know that they are situated not too far from an elevator, and also take in to consideration the location of the places on board (incl. restaurants) where you would be likely to visit more often than other places on board.

When it comes to the Mediterranean cruise ports, the majority of them are nice to just walk around in at your own pace. Even Civitavecchia (the port city of Rome) and Livorno (the port city of Pisa/Florence) have a nice boardwalk by the sea. And if the ship docks a little far away from the city center for your parents to walk all the way, then just advice them to take a short (an inexpensive) cab ride to wherever they would like to promenade. :)

Edited by TrumpyNor

We were on the Epic in June and did this same trip with a person in a wheel chair. We had private tours and it really saved the day and made the trip over the top wonderful. The private tour vans can drive right up to the sights and get you much closer than busses and therefore you save walking and time. Also, if there is anywhere the wheelchair or person with limited mobility does not want to attempt they can wait with the driver in the air conditioned van.

We found the Epic staff very accommadating and they helped us with behind the scenes entry into Blue Man group etc.

Go on this trip but do no attempt to do it yourself as it will be very stressful.

Have fun.

Hi, I’ve just returned from the Epic and the cruise itinerary you are looking at. I know all of these ports pretty well, especially the Italian ones as I’ve toured that area on holiday a few times.

Barcelona – port is right in city centre. Lots of shopping, beaches, culture all within a short taxi ride or a fair walk from the port – about 20 minutes, but walking is fine.

Napoli – port is right in city centre as well. Can just get off and walk about, use local trains and finiculare to go up the hill. Tours galore to Pompeii. You can also take the shuttle ferry to Sorrento (Italian holiday resort) or Capri (a lovely island with rich inhabitants).

Civitavecchia – there is actually a fair bit to see in the town and you CAN walk off the port, through the container yards and industrial shipping if you really want to but it is easier to just get the shuttle bus and walk from the exit of the port where they drop you off on the bus. Takes about 1.5 hours to get to Rome on the train from Civitavecchia. You arrive in Rome fairly centrally and can just get off and walk about.

Livorno – don’t think you can walk off the port…..have never done it. It is a lovely area of Italy (but Italy is mostly all lovely). Pisa is about 25 mins away in a car, Florence about 1 hour 15 mins, Lucca about 40 mins etc etc…….the tours on the boat sold by NCL are ridiculously priced. If you can drive in the US, then you can drive in Italy, no problem……just bring change for the tolls.

Cannes – this is a tender - easy walking to the shops, market, beach.

Palma – quite near the old town…..took a taxi though – all parked outside. 10 mins in Taxi.

Really walking depends upon your personal capabilities. Some people think a 2 mile walk is reasonable, some don’t like to walk 200 yards. There will be hussle and bussle in Napoli and Barca in particular but that is all part of the European experience! I try to walk everywhere and I totally agree about the restrictions imposed by guided tours which are just ridiculously expensive.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Mel

Rome In Limo would be perfect for a group. They can take up to 8 in the vans so if you can pick up a few on the ship to join you it lowers your price. They make frequent stops and you can walk as much/little as you want. They operate in Rome and in Florence where the port is a distance from the city and will pick up/deliver .

Rome In Limo would be perfect for a group. They can take up to 8 in the vans so if you can pick up a few on the ship to join you it lowers your price. They make frequent stops and you can walk as much/little as you want. They operate in Rome and in Florence where the port is a distance from the city and will pick up/deliver .

Rome in Limo costs 850 Euros for a day trip :eek: Do people really pay this kind of money?

Each to their own I suppose, but it it so easy to DIY places in Italy. I've been to Rome four times without a tour and managed to see everything I wanted to, most sites are within easy walking distance - and I read up before so that I know what I am looking at. You can get guides at each site without booking and with the money saved, you could splash out on lunch and cocktails with a view. Plus take taxis between sites to save your tootsies.

These tour companies must be laughing all the way to the bank, especially since they get so much free advertising on here.

But then, maybe I'm missing out on something special? What do they add apart from convenience, which you could just get with a taxi ride?

Edited by kfowinst

Rome in Limo costs 850 Euros for a day trip :eek: Do people really pay this kind of money?

Each to their own I suppose, but it it so easy to DIY places in Italy. I've been to Rome four times without a tour and managed to see everything I wanted to, most sites are within easy walking distance - and I read up before so that I know what I am looking at. You can get guides at each site without booking and with the money saved, you could splash out on lunch and cocktails with a view. Plus take taxis between sites to save your tootsies.

These tour companies must be laughing all the way to the bank, especially since they get so much free advertising on here.

But then, maybe I'm missing out on something special? What do they add apart from convenience, which you could just get with a taxi ride?

In 2012 I paid 500 e for a day trip for 6 in a van for romecabs

I don't have time to check the ril website but I will later. 850 sounds like a mini bus price for a group of like 14

But I will look into it for my own curiosity

I just checked ril website

Rome port excursion for example runs between 500 to 600e for a sedan or van depending on party size

Your 850 was not even there but I don't know what your you were looking at either

When you can pay 600 e for 8 people for 8 hour tours that is a good deal I my book

Btw we do it all ways. DIY. Ship excursion. Private tour

I research everything. Have been to Europe numerous times And just book what works depending on the port and what we prefer

Research is the key!!!!

But for my 2 cents if anyone is planning a med cruise just beware that although the cruise is cheap not everything else is

$5000 per person on the high side for everything including mandatory pre and post days. Airfare. Excursion be it DIY or private or group.

Museum admissions can be enormous especially when paying for a large family

Or you can admire stuff from the outside for free. Lol

Our 3 week trip which included 12 princess cruise plus NYC airfare via aer lingus plus 8 nights pre and post and touring in ports that fit our needs etc. cost me $23000 for 6 in 2012

In 2008 same gang same length cruise only on carnival that time only 3 nights pre and a direct JFK to

Fco flight on continental because we could stand the though of a 2 hour layover anywhere lol which was stupid and touring via private and ship cost closer to $30000!!! For only 17 days!!

The difference was extensive research. It was the first time we went abroad as a family so I was super cautious even though I AMA saavy traveler. There was no need to be though and I know I could have saved $10000 if I researched more

My aim is $20000. But I may need to leave a kid or 2 behind!!!

Edited by luvtheships

Thank you to everyone who replied. Mum decided not to do this cruise at this time for all the reasons I mentioned...lack of time to plan, expense, and uncertainty about the stamina needed to do it. Instead, we will celebrate in the Caribbean. (She's turning 80) Yes, been there, done that (the Caribbean I mean!) but it's cheap and it's the company that counts, right?! :)

Thanks again!

Thank you to everyone who replied. Mum decided not to do this cruise at this time for all the reasons I mentioned...lack of time to plan, expense, and uncertainty about the stamina needed to do it. Instead, we will celebrate in the Caribbean. (She's turning 80) Yes, been there, done that (the Caribbean I mean!) but it's cheap and it's the company that counts, right?! :)

Thanks again!

Wise decision! I was pretty gobsmacked at some of the suggestions - The Med can be hard work - IF at any time she plans to go perhaps look at Saga (Saphhire or Pearl) and Fred Olsen cruises - both lines specifically catering to an older generation.

Meanwhile wishing her a happy birthday - may your family all enjoy the celebrations.

And FYI - many of us here in Europe dream of Caribbean cruises - so to us, the Caribbean is a luxury! The Med we can do any ole day of the week - Caribbean - ahhhhhhh bliss :D

Sorry you are not going on the Epic. She is a beautiful ship, but very large. We found that we did a lot of walking when we were on the Epic, maybe not so good for someone who is 80. Maybe a smaller ship would be better?

If you every do consider Italy, I second RomeInLimo. We have used their services many times. They pick you up right on the port, so there is no walking. Also, if your mother gets tired, the driver could pick her up and she could sit in the car or he/she could drive her to wherever she wants to go. Rome, Florence, and Naples would be very easy this way. If fact, private drivers are the only ones who can drive inside Florence.

Yes, the price is high - 500 euros for four people. That's about $167 per person plus tip. That is very competitive with the cruise tours. The price gets cheaper with more people and the more tours you book.

Edited by NCruiser2012

Hi,

Mel

Just did this cruise last month. Rome you are an hour bus ride from the port, really nothing at port. Be careful with the tours we were on a tour in Florence that was listed as a 2 but in reallity was a 3+ very hard walking. This cruise is nothing like a Caribbean cruise. View it as a floating hotel between these ports, if you parents wouldn't go to these cities by air don't do the cruise. We loved it but it was exhausting.

Steve R