1st Time Carnival "Free Welcome Drink" - CHEERS!

Fredbarney69

Hi,

x4 Brits taking the 9/27 NYC - Canada Splendor cruise

We all like a drink and were :) to find out about the Cheers price drop.

Having cruised Celebrity the last three times I'm used to getting a free glass of fizz on arrival.

However I seem to remember seeing something suggesting on Carnival they give you a slip to sign for $8bucks for this"free drink" :eek:.

Is this true (if so I'll bypass them and find the nearest bar where i Can sign us up for Cheers!)

Or should I take the drinks sign the slip and will this then credited back to our accounts on signing up to the programme.:cool:

Any other tips from experienced CHEERS! users will be greatly appreciated :D

I thought they'd credit back the first drink(s) when you buy Cheers, since they allow you to buy it either the first or second day.

They figure that some people plan to pay as they go, realize how fast it's racking up, and then switch to Cheers.

Thanx all. I;ll advise my three co-travellers to get some practise in for the photographers and just say "no thanx" and keep on walking.

I'm looking forward to the Carnival experience having trusted Celeb for so long after leaving RCCL.

I thought they'd credit back the first drink(s) when you buy Cheers, since they allow you to buy it either the first or second day.

They figure that some people plan to pay as they go, realize how fast it's racking up, and then switch to Cheers.

If someone decides to get Cheers on the 2nd day - it's on a going forward basis, so any drinks after that point are on the plan. Nothing is credited back to you that you bought earlier.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanx all. I;ll advise my three co-travellers to get some practise in for the photographers and just say "no thanx" and keep on walking.

I'm looking forward to the Carnival experience having trusted Celeb for so long after leaving RCCL.

Welcome to Carnival! I hope you have a great cruise. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

Having cruised Celebrity the last three times I'm used to getting a free glass of fizz on arrival.

However I seem to remember seeing something suggesting on Carnival they give you a slip to sign for $8bucks for this"free drink" :eek:.

Is this true (if so I'll bypass them and find the nearest bar where i Can sign us up for Cheers!)

Or should I take the drinks sign the slip and will this then credited back to our accounts on signing up to the programme.:cool:

Hi, Fred! As you enter the ship, you will immediately see the lobby bar. Walk right up to that bar and tell the bartender you want to purchase Cheers and then get a glass of your favorite fizz! It couldn't be any easier. The bartender will place a Cheers sticker on your Sail & Sign card too, so from there you can head up to the Lido deck and have a bite of lunch and hit one of the Lido bars.

Welcome to Carnival.

Nice to see there will be another Fred on the 9/27 sailing!

I have read that you can't purchase Cheers until international waters due to taxation, at least from New York, so as to avoid the alcoholic beverages tax in place there. So you might have to wait, unless I read wrong.

There's no free drink when you first board, but there is still the one free drink for breakfast or lunch in the MDR during the cruise, right?

Yep but I'm pretty sure it's for Red vifp and above. I looked at a coupon I still had and it starts off with " I'm glad you choose to sail with us again" So I'd say no for 1st time Carnival cruisers but I could be wrong.

Edited by gregg204

Hi,

There's some good info on Cheers! and Splendor from NYC from just yesterday in this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085836

Nice to see there will be another Fred on the 9/27 sailing!

I have read that you can't purchase Cheers until international waters due to taxation, at least from New York, so as to avoid the alcoholic beverages tax in place there. So you might have to wait, unless I read wrong.

The only place you can't purchase Cheers immediately upon embarkation are sailings from Texas.

You never pay taxes on the Cheers package itself, even if you are still in your embarkation port......BUT.........any drinks you purchase before you're in international waters will have the appropriate tax charged against the menu price.........

You pay gratuities on the package at the same time you purchase Cheers, so if you order a Fun Ship special as soon as you purchase the Cheers program it's probably going to cost you about .95 or so in taxes.

Yep but I'm pretty sure it's for Red vifp and above. I looked at a coupon I still had and it starts off with " I'm glad you choose to sail with us again" So I'd say no for 1st time Carnival cruisers but I could be wrong.

Yes, one free drink for repeat customers. Only I think it is for seaday brunch, not breakfast and lunch (with the exception of being on a ship without brunch).

Though, I'm sure if you make a stink at breakfast in port, you can get it.

Yes, one free drink for repeat customers. Only I think it is for seaday brunch, not breakfast and lunch (with the exception of being on a ship without brunch).

Though, I'm sure if you make a stink at breakfast in port, you can get it.

That is correct. 3rd time on Splendor and you will find the coupon in your cabin with your name on it. Each repeat passenger from their second sailing with Carnival will get a coupon in their cabin. Can only be used during the 2 seaday brunches in the Main Dining Room.

Waiter takes your order and asks for your sea pass and writes up a slip. You give him the coupon and it shows up on your daily bill as $00.00.

We are also on the 9/27 Splendor sailing. Look forward to seeing you on board.

MARAPRINCE

FYI -- there was another thread with a post that said, with the price changes, you can only purchase Cheers on the first day now.

Hmm, someone just posted yesterday on the Splendor from NYC that they could not buy it until after 6.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085836

But she said that she would be credited back any drinks she purchased before she actually bought the Cheers program. There is a lot of misinformation out there the past couple of days. My advice to you would be to subscribe to her thread yesterday and see what she says when she returns. She's been very active on the Cheers threads on CC since the talk of the changes to the Cheers program, in addition to the fact that she's sailing this week on your ship, Splendor. I'm sure you'll get the correct Cheers info you need from her. Cheers!!!

Tax in Port can't buy till international waters :confused: this is all getting vee confusing

Thanx for the tip about walking up to the first bar and getting the sticker....that sounds like a not too difficult plan for me to follow.

And yes I saw the thread yesterday about the lady currently on Splendor and will keep eye on that.

Thanx everyone for their comments I really appreciate ya input #CHEERS :D