Rome Shore Excursion - Vision of the Seas

Severus

If you want to do an RC tour try Imperial Rome. We did that one and loved it. They broke us down into small groups of about 15 people. There was no waiting in lines and no waiting at buses. However, there is a lot of walking so be sure everyone is up to it.

If you want to do an RC tour try Imperial Rome. We did that one and loved it. They broke us down into small groups of about 15 people. There was no waiting in lines and no waiting at buses. However, there is a lot of walking so be sure everyone is up to it.

Thanks for the info, at this point I am leaning towards Bobs Limo but I still have time to decide.

Severus,

When in June are you sailing? We are sailing June 21 and have tours set up with Rome in Limo for 3 ports.

We have spots left on our tour and it would be cheaper than the ship.

Really ? yes thats our sail date too! of you want you can PM me the details! Great!

We did the RCCL tour of Rome several years ago and it was great.

We didn't wait in line anywhere we went. Our tour guide took us around the lines and right in at every location.

One thing you must remember if you book a private tour --- the ship will wait on you if you are on a cruise line tour and are running late getting back. If you are on a private tour and are running late, you may get the opportunity to waive goodbye to the ship as it pulls out of port. If I recall correctly, it's about an hour drive (maybe more) from the port to Rome so anything can happen on the road.

The tour seemed rather expensive when we booked it but we both agree that it was worth every penny.

Rome in Limo!!!

Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor if you have not already. Pre-Arranged cut in front of the line tickets at:

The Vatican

Coliseum

And especially at the Acadamia (to view the statue of David)

made it totally worthwhile. Also the lunch locations were not "tourist traps". They were "local family restaurants" that the masses are not shuttled to.

Rome in Limo!!!

Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor if you have not already. Pre-Arranged cut in front of the line tickets at:

The Vatican

Coliseum

And especially at the Acadamia (to view the statue of David)

made it totally worthwhile. Also the lunch locations were not "tourist traps". They were "local family restaurants" that the masses are not shuttled to.

Ok I think Rome in Limo is winning right now.

Have you given any thought to doing it yourself? When you get off the boat in Civi you can walk down and hop on a train to Termini (main station in Rome), under 20E per person. The Colosseum is a short hop away on the Blue Line (literally, you exit the station and BAM Colosseum!). You can buy tickets at the Forum entrance and then bypass the long line at the Colosseum since you already have tickets.

Then you can hop back on the Metro, transfer at Termini, and take the Red Line to Spagna Station. That will drop you off right at the Steps. From there you can walk west and hit Trevi, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona before crossing the Ponte Sant'Angelo to see the Castel Sant'Angelo and then the Vatican. Spend the afternoon there and then hop a train at the Roma San Pietro station to get back to Civi.

It's nice because it's way cheaper than a tour and you get to do it how you want. The only thing you need to make sure of is that you pick a train that will get you back on time!

We did the RCCL tour of Rome several years ago and it was great.

We didn't wait in line anywhere we went. Our tour guide took us around the lines and right in at every location.

One thing you must remember if you book a private tour --- the ship will wait on you if you are on a cruise line tour and are running late getting back. If you are on a private tour and are running late, you may get the opportunity to waive goodbye to the ship as it pulls out of port. If I recall correctly, it's about an hour drive (maybe more) from the port to Rome so anything can happen on the road.

The tour seemed rather expensive when we booked it but we both agree that it was worth every penny.

The private tour operators know that, if they fail to get passengers back to the port on time, they will be finding another line of work. Booking with a know, reputable company is a risk worth taking for a superior (in my opinion) experience to almost anything offered by the ships.

Two other things I need to mention.

1 - if you plan on taking the subway at all, absolutely avoid it during rush hour (morning and evening). It is wall to wall people cramming into trains, and makes for a truly miserable experience. The platform is regularly 8 people deep waiting to get on trains during this time, especially at Termini.

2 - Tours of St. Peters are closed on Wednesdays. If your excursion happens to be on that day, you will not be able to enter St. Peters, and will see the Sistine Chapel and an extended tour of the Vatican Museums.

The cruise sails on June 2015, I hope its restored by then. Thanks

I was hoping you were on our cruise in May so you could join our group to Rome. We are using romecabs.com for our tours in Florence, Rome & Naples. The private tours are limited to 8 people. You might check this out also.

Sue