Ship's Transfer to Airport after Cruise

ROWSE

I have tried this question on the Pacific Island Board but did not get much information so here is my questions:

We will be on the Ocean Princess for the Jan. 27-Feb. 6, 2015, out of Papeete, Tahiti.

I talked to Princess and they told me only those who have purchased ship's transfers can stay on the ship on turn around day. I had previously read that anyone can do this whether you had a transfer or not. Guess you must have a transfer now.

What is your experience if you purchased a transfer?

I was told you could not be in your stateroom but you may use the rest of the ship. Are you able to eat in the dining room or only the buffet? I would think things would get quite crowded with possibly double passengers onboard.

Were you able to get on and off the ship when you wanted before it was time for your transfer, which they said is 4 hours I believe before your flight. Our flight is 10p.m.

Did they store your luggage somewhere you could get to it through the day or was it not till you met your transfer? How did they have you meet for the transfer time itself?

We have decided we are not interested in getting a day room, or renting a car that day.

I would so love to hear anyone's experience using the transfers and the ship for the day. Any small detail would be appreciated! Thank you!

When we did this, anybody was allowed to stay on the ship until the early evening. We did not have a Princess xfer.

During the day you could use the ship's facilities or (as we did) take a ship sponsored tour or go tour on your own.

You can also participate in any activities such as the late afternoon trivia.

Your regular suitcases will remain on shore to be claimed when you are ready to leave the ship. Your carryon items may be left (at no cost) in one of the specialty restaurants which will have an attendant there.

After your breakfast, you are limited to not eating in the dining room.

It's been a while, but yes, the ship is very crowded by the end of turnaround day in Papeete once the new guests start boarding. We did not have a ship transfer, but that may have changed now to weed out some people.

I do not recall the MDR (there is only one on the small ships) being open during the day on turnaround day. I do remember it was open for dinner upon embarkation. On disembarkation day, we just used the (very crowded) Horizon Court.

While on board during the cruise, we were offered that if we purchased a ship's excursion for turnaround day, we would also be able to use the Lotus Spa to change and shower before heading to the airport for the long flight home. We did take advantage of this, and the excursion was fine. However, the Lotus Spa folks were down right rude to those of us who had paid for this privilege, as they were trying to do tours of the spa for the newly arriving guests. The men's locker room was quite crowded and getting very warm and humid. After dressing, I stepped outside of the men's locker room and sat down merely to put my shoes on (a minute at most) and a spa person literally yelled at me, "You can't sit here!" I was not camping out. I was merely putting my shoes on. :rolleyes: You really started to feel like "yesterday's news" by that point.

Our luggage left the ship per the norm (put out the night before) and went to a tent on the dock for the day until claimed to go to the airport, and we were allowed to stow our carry-ons in one of the specialty restaurants. They gave us claim checks for the carry-ons, and it was nice not having to drag those around during the day.

Great cruise, regardless.

SingerEsq & caribill,

So were you able to get off and on the ship with your old cruise card or did they give you some other way to show that you were staying on till the late flight.

SingerEsq & caribill,

So were you able to get off and on the ship with your old cruise card or did they give you some other way to show that you were staying on till the late flight.

We used the same cruise card until we finally left the ship for the last time to the airport. However, if they are now requiring you to purchase a transfer in order to continue to use the ship that day, they may have a sticker or something.

We were on the Ocean Princess this past November for the Tahitian Cruise. W

You could only spend the day on board if you had a Princess Transfer.

You had to vacate your stateroom and place your luggage outside the night before. The luggage spent the day under a tent outside. Your carry-on luggage was in one of the specialty restaurants and it worked just like a coat check.

You could come and go as often as you wanted on/off the ship.

You could eat in the dining room as on your disembarkation day it is open seating.

You have full use of the facilities.

You may order cocktails etc just had to pay in cash.

We enjoyed out final day on board laying around the pool and visiting with the friends we had met.

We showered in the Spa.

Went to the Platinum/Elite Lounge.

We had supper in the dining room.

It was a wonderful cruise and we felt Princess did a great job on treating us as a passenger even though we were leaving the ship that night.

Ha Ha Colo Cruiser!

They are both correct depending on when you were last on this itinerary.

Sounds like it use to be that you could stay on without a transfer, but now, as all good things on Princess or most cruise lines, seem to come to an end, you have to purchase the transfer. :D

Ha Ha Colo Cruiser!

They are both correct depending on when you were last on this itinerary.

Sounds like it use to be that you could stay on without a transfer, but now, as all good things on Princess or most cruise lines, seem to come to an end, you have to purchase the transfer. :D

Good way to force people to use the Princess xfer.

Get off the ship by 10 AM for a mid-night flight if you do not buy it.

I wonder what they do if you buy a Princess excursion that day but not the airport xfer. When the excursion brings you back to the ship will they let you on or not? Do you have to bring all your carryon items on the excursion?

Good way to force people to use the Princess xfer.

Get off the ship by 10 AM for a mid-night flight if you do not buy it.

I wonder what they do if you buy a Princess excursion that day but not the airport xfer. When the excursion brings you back to the ship will they let you on or not? Do you have to bring all your carryon items on the excursion?

I would think they would have a hard time forcing you to get off even if you did not have a transfer.

Six years ago when we did this cruise. we had an early dinner in the buffet, and sat with a couple who offered to share their cab to the airport, which we did. Disembarked about 6pm, and got to the airport by 7. We waited outside because the doors to the terminal were not unlocked till 8PM. We found we were really glad we had gotten there so early because when the Princess buses arrived just before 8, and offloaded all those people and their mounds of luggage, the check-in line became VERY long. We were among the first 20 to get checked in.

Edited by flamomo