HAL transfers airport to ship

The Odd Couple

Being Brits, Rome is only a short flight for us, so we had hoped to fly into Rome on the day of our cruise's departure without having to book an overnight hotel. One particular BA flight would arrive around noon on departure day. Having been to Rome before on a land based holiday and know what the traffic is like, we have opted for HAL's transfer to the ship. My question is before I book flights, on the day of departure of a cruise, does HAL run various timed transfers from airport to port or just one specific time? Thanks as always for your help.

It has been my experience that HAL runs a few buses each day from the airport to the port. With Rome so far from the ship, I would guess that they have buses running throughout the day. You may have to wait maybe an hour for the bus to leave but at least you will be guaranteed the ship will wait for you.

May be best to call HAL customer service and ask about the timing for the buses.

The timing will be based on when they have pax arriving, not on a "every XX minutes" type schedule. If the last passenger who has purchased transfers arrives at, say, noon, once that pax has arrived at the bus, the last bus will depart.

I would be asking HAL when the all aboard would be (typically 2 hours prior to sailing) and how late your flight can be.

If you are among the last "stragglers" with transfers to arrive and there aren't enough more expected to fill another bus, they may simply put you in a taxi. We had that happen in Barcelona.

I suggest you check into the comparative cost of a private transfer service on the Ports of Call/Italy Forum. We have often found that the price per person for a HAL transfer is about the same as a taxi or private car for two people.

Edited by jtl513

One reason why we never book cruise line transfers is that you will often just have to sit around (or on a bus) until they decide they have enough passengers to make the shuttle run. So, you could actually sit on a near empty bus (or van) for an hour...waiting to leave the airport. The last time we used a HAL transfer was a few years ago in Buenos Aires where, after a long overnight flight, they told us we would have to wait about 2 hours because they were waiting for another flight. So we simply took a taxi (at less then half the cost of the transfer) and went to our hotel. We then went out for a long breakfast and walked back to the hotel just in time to see our shuttle finally arrive. And despite complaining at Guest Relations....we never did receive a refund for the transfer.

In the case of Rome, we would either take a taxi or book Romecabs...to get to Civitavecchia. Either would be cheaper and much faster then cruise line transfers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Being Brits, Rome is only a short flight for us, so we had hoped to fly into Rome on the day of our cruise's departure without having to book an overnight hotel. One particular BA flight would arrive around noon on departure day. Having been to Rome before on a land based holiday and know what the traffic is like, we have opted for HAL's transfer to the ship. My question is before I book flights, on the day of departure of a cruise, does HAL run various timed transfers from airport to port or just one specific time? Thanks as always for your help.

You will likely have at least a few minutes wait until the bus fills up - which could extend to an hour or more. Given your user name, I'll hazard the guess that there are two of you - have you compared the cost of the HAL transfer for two with that of a taxi - much more comfortable, quicker, and likely to be less expensive.

Of course "noon on departure day" gives pause for thought -- I would never fly to a Florida port (as far for me as London is from Rome) on departure day - EVER.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it's damage limitation as far as co-ordinating flights/transfers are concerned. We are 2 plus hours from the nearest UK airport, need to check in 2 hours before the flight, so for a Med cruise, we hoped not to need an overnight hotel in UK in order to catch the early flight. My TA has just come back to me saying that HAL have said an 11am transfer from Rome airport. I had originally asked my TA to check with HAL what the latest transfer time on the day of arrival would be as I didn't as yet have flight times, but I've asked them to recheck with HAL that this is the only transfer time available to us. If they come back and say take it or leave it, we'll stay overnight in Rome. I do agree - arriving at the airport on the day of the cruise is probably not one of my better ideas!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it's damage limitation as far as co-ordinating flights/transfers are concerned. We are 2 plus hours from the nearest UK airport, need to check in 2 hours before the flight, so for a Med cruise, we hoped not to need an overnight hotel in UK in order to catch the early flight. My TA has just come back to me saying that HAL have said an 11am transfer from Rome airport. I had originally asked my TA to check with HAL what the latest transfer time on the day of arrival would be as I didn't as yet have flight times, but I've asked them to recheck with HAL that this is the only transfer time available to us. If they come back and say take it or leave it, we'll stay overnight in Rome. I do agree - arriving at the airport on the day of the cruise is probably not one of my better ideas!

I agree with Navybankerteacher, about same day arrival in Rome..You are spending so much on a Cruise, why take the chance & book a flight the same day as your cruise.. If it were me I would fly into Rome the day before & overnight in Rome, not even in the UK..

We are on a Noordam cruise out of Rome in September, we have chosen to fly the day before for 2 reasons

1. As we are not booking the flight through HAL, if there is a delay (the flight arrives at 11.10) we could lose the cruise, so going the day before covers that

2. The flight from the UK leaves at 07.00 so requires a 05.00 check-in, from memory HAL will only accept flights up to 11.30 arrivals into Fiumicino, if you want to use their transfer. We've travelled twice before on that flight and frankly it leaves you tired for the 1st day of the cruise.

So I would recommend looking at travelling the day before, and then you will be well rested and ready to enjoy your cruise from its start :)

My experience, they will run different time transfers to & from the airport.

They know your arrival times.

We've I benighted in the port before and had a great deal which included transfers from the airport and ship plus dinner. I think it was San Giorgio or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you've booked transfers, but not flights, with HAL, there is a possibility that the transfer won't wait if your flight is delayed, as they see that as not their problem.

We booked HAL flights (from Manchester) and transfers on our recent Noordam cruise. The flight left at 5:55 am with a change at Amsterdam, so we had to check in at 3:55am. By the time we got to the ship we were shattered. Go the day before and find a flight at a civilized time, then you have more freedom in your choice of transfers. As other posters have said, with the HAL bus, you might be sitting at the airport for an hour waiting for passengers from other flights. A taxi would be quicker, plus, you don't arrive at the cruise terminal at the same time as 50 other people, so check in is quicker and you can board the ship around 11:00am, fresh as a daisy and ready to go.