Question for uk peoples about tie knots on formal night

redhydra

... Be Prepared!!! the great shoe tie debate is imminent.:eek: ...
...Impossible surely, there is only one way...
As you know, shoe laces are tied with exactly the same knot as bow ties. So, once you have learned that knot and applied it to all your bow ties, it matters not how you choose to be shod.

For formal night a bow tie, black (no other colour is acceptable), hand tied (i.e. not a child's one on a bit of elastic).

On informal nights I now favour a cravat.

On Tuesdays a wear a red bow tie, on thursdays blu and on Burn's Night a tartan:D

Curiously, the simplest necktie knot is one of the least known. Try the Simple Knot.

This is the tie knot that I use when I am not sporting a bow tie. Chances are though that if I'm on a ship I'll have a self tied bow tie under my collar.

My husband says he can't tie his own bow-tie - of course what he means is he won't try! So I tie them for him from behind. If I wasn't there I'm afraid he would wear a pre tied!

Exactly my problem. I have noticed on other men the ones their wives tie[emoji6] just look classier. Cruiseluvva do you tie them like a bow/shoe lace?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't realise until I saw this thread and Googled "Windsor Knot" that I've been using one for the best part of 40 years.

Apparently, by 1950s standards I'm a cad. My DW doesn't know she married a bad boy.

I doubt that more than 1% of the people on a Cunard ship could recognise one knot from another and then only a small fraction of them would give two hoots.

Fashion alerts are the best.

How about a tie that makes a political statement is a great question?

Such as ??

XR520152L.jpg

Would one be barred from the Ball? or Dining Room?? while wearing one?

What about the pre tied neck ties with the bit of elastic one stretches out to fit over their heads and then around their necks?

pi_19417.jpeg

Very convenient for the man on the run.

OR the Bow tie, pretied with a hook and clasp

th?id=HN.607986997919023803&pid=1.7

Not that the color is Cunard appropriate but dashing anyway. I have seen many of these vile contraptions round many a man's neck at the evening meal. Most don't have the female companion to assist in a proper tie thus lacking in fashion sense have opted for the ease of placing one about their neck.

But of course there are the rabble rousers that truely make a mess of the situation by wearing this

neckties5.jpg

Now this I would hope the Security Forces involved would demand removed and thrown into the wake immediately. I am unsure if Her Majesty's Government would even allow such a horrid T SHIRT to be sold in the Empire let alone be worn to a formal evening meal.

I won't even mention the last most unmentionable tie available.

Hint: THE CLIP ON :eek:

Thank you everybody for your help. uTube has some really helpful videos that do step by step instructions. So will get DH to practice before we embark. Looks fairly straight forward or am I being too optimistic [emoji53]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you everybody for your help. uTube has some really helpful videos that do step by step instructions. So will get DH to practice before we embark. Looks fairly straight forward or am I being too optimistic [emoji53]
If DH will be practicing with an adjustable length bow tie (recommended), it will be easiest to practice with the tie at maximum length. The results will look funny, but the mechanics of the knot will be more obvious. It really is the shoe lace knot.

If DH will be practicing with an adjustable length bow tie (recommended), it will be easiest to practice with the tie at maximum length. The results will look funny, but the mechanics of the knot will be more obvious. It really is the shoe lace knot.

Thank you for the advice. I will update on how he gets on😀

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Curiously, the simplest necktie knot is one of the least known. Try the Simple Knot.

That is the way I learnt back when I was a youngster at school, maybe 55 years ago, for our school tie. I never knew there were other ways:rolleyes:.

My husband says he can't tie his own bow-tie - of course what he means is he won't try! So I tie them for him from behind. If I wasn't there I'm afraid he would wear a pre tied!

My husband desperately wanted to buy a proper bow tie, but with written instructions, Youtube videos etc, he still hasn't mastered it. So we had to go and buy a ready tied one. Oh the shame:o.

Edited by maz48

... It really is the shoe lace knot.
Yes, thank you pmb1, you are of course, correct :) .

Any man who can tie a shoe-lace can tie a bow-tie. The knot/process is the same :) .

(although it might not feel that way if you're struggling in front of a mirror! :eek: . Years ago I ditched the mirror and found it far easier without).

Edited by pepperrn