Getaway clothing question

RMS Olympic

I am trying to get a reality check on appropriate attire for the Getaway after 6PM. I realize NCL is "Freestyle", and dressing up is not required. I have read comments that some folks wear shorts to dinner, some t-shirts in the public rooms at night. is this truly the case?

I cant see wearing shorts into a specialty restaurant at night, but is this the norm? I guess if you dined outside at Cagney's shorts would work....

I was planning on nice trousers and either polo type shirts or tropical type shirts .....would this fit in or would I stick out like a sore thumb.

I normally pack dressy clothes that would be appropriate on Princess, Celebrity or HAL.......but am stumped when it comes to Getaway. There is a term country club casual which means something different depending on ones age bracket....does it apply? Any observations from cruises on Getaway would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

In my experience (and I don't actually take much notice of what other people wear so I may be wrong), shorts are fairly rare in any of the speciality restaurants on NCL ships, and they are not allowed in the aft MDR. You do see quite a few in the other MDR.

Most men seem to wear smart jeans or other trousers and a fairly casual shirt in most venues. From what you say you are planning on taking, rather than sticking out, you will blend into the crowd pretty well.

You will see 20 men in khakis and polo shirts for every one you see in shorts and t-shirt. No, you won't stick out wearing that. To be honest, I doubt many people will pay any attention to what you are wearing at all.

Tom, I was on the Getaway in May and found "country club casual" to be the norm. I, like you, usually tend to skew dressier, but I vowed to be more casual on this ship. My casual is a pair of designer jeans or pants (not slacks) and a button down or nice polo (burberry, etc.), with a pair of loafers/boat shoes, and I found that I was the norm. Rarely did I see anyone in shorts in any of the specialty restaurants, MDR's or shows. We saw, on multiple occasions, staff turn people away for wearing shorts and trying to go to Le Bistro and Tropicana Room. Only once, as I can remember, did I see someone in shorts in Cagneys or any other specialty restaurant. Hope this helps!

Like most restaurants at home, very few are wearing shorts. Actually, less on the ship, because you do not have to go outside which can be hot at home in the summer months, hence the shorts.

Your room is inside, and the walk to the restaurant is inside. All Air conditioned around 70 degrees.

Just got off getaway and I saw all types off clothing. Did see people get into le bistro with Tshirts and shorts twice. Saw lots of docker type pants with polo shirts. Lots of women had maxi dresses and skirts

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no useful input except that I think it's really odd that men can't wear shorts but women can wear skirts to the floor or skirts that stop 2 inches below their hoohah. I deduce that this truly must be about tradition and not sanitation. ;) I don't think you can ever go wrong with a nice pair or khakis and a polo. It's neither too dress nor too casual.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I have no useful input except that I think it's really odd that men can't wear shorts but women can wear skirts to the floor or skirts that stop 2 inches below their hoohah. I deduce that this truly must be about tradition and not sanitation. ;) I don't think you can ever go wrong with a nice pair or khakis and a polo. It's neither too dress nor too casual.

Viva la difference the Dress Code between the sexes !

There is one sure way to beat the Freestyle Dress Code - wear a man's SKIRT

"The Kilt" ! No you don't have to don the Prince Charlie wedding jacket tux

shirt with bow tie just the basics satisfy the NCL Dress Code !

I have worn my tartan Anderson* clan Kilt with solid color polo shirt - knee high

sox with flashes and loafers to everything everywhere on the NCL SUN 7/2013.

Compliments raves kudos and a glass of wine on the house in Le Bistro - the

Maitre d' was honorably impressed !

Good golly this is not the Cunard Cruise Line where even 4th class passengers

have to dress to the nines to get service in a restaurant.

Relax this is not your grandfathers cruise line.

NCL must have something working cause the other cruise lines are or have

already relaxed their dress codes except for the most formal night dinning

occasions. Hence the term "Cruise Casual" !

Have not heard the term "Country Club Casual" in cruise critic talk until reading

this thread. Must be a land lubbers term for the same thing.

* check avatar for Anderson Tartan pattern

According to NCL's Dress Code, the only dining venue where shorts for men are banned is in the more formal aft dining room, the Tropicana, and the specialty restaurant Le Bistro. All other free venues and specialty restaurants allow shorts and a collared shirt, closed toe shoes. You may see some people in shorts in the evenings, but long pants of some type, usually nice jeans or khaki pants are the norm.

As usual, we saw all type of dress aboard the Getaway! You truly can pack light if you want! My DH took one pair of dressy slacks, a couple of collared Polo type shirts and a couple Tommy Bahama shirts. After dinner, he changed to shorts, and hung the slacks back up! Half way through the cruise they offered a laundry special. For $27.95 you can fill a bag with dirties...it was suppose to be pressed, but was just folded!

We are sailing in the Getaway at the end of October so now am finally starting to think about it and make plans. I know it's not as formal,but is there a formal night? Am I out of place if I bring a cocktail type dress or don't even bother with formal clothes? Do men need a jacket for anything, much less a tie? We've cruised before,but only once before on NCL and I can't remember other than the free style dining.

We are sailing in the Getaway at the end of October so now am finally starting to think about it and make plans. I know it's not as formal,but is there a formal night? Am I out of place if I bring a cocktail type dress or don't even bother with formal clothes? Do men need a jacket for anything, much less a tie? We've cruised before,but only once before on NCL and I can't remember other than the free style dining.

There is no formal night. You will see some people in cocktail dresses and ties though. They might be seated beside someone in shorts. You can basically do whatever you want.