Aged Strip Steak In Chops

I had the aged Strip on the Oasis and while I certainly enjoyed it, I probably will not do it again, but when you factor in the cost to get on the ship and for Chops, it was worth doing once for a few extra bucks. It was better than the regular strip from Chops, but not as good as the higher end land based steakhouses is my neck of the woods. Just one man's opinion, enjoy, enjoy!

What's the typical definition of "aged" in the steak business? Hope it isn't "left over from last cruise"?

I chuckled a bit when I saw this post because on our one and only visit to Chops (Indy), I was rather disappointed in the strip steak and now I'm wondering if cruzincurt's speculation isn't valid? ;)

You steak lovers should try the steak in Giovanni's. It was as good or better than Chops and $10 cheaper.

I agree! So much better!

I've been to Chops twice, and each time I've left quite disappointed. Giovanni's steak is wonderful and much better than Chops (though I am partial to Giovanni's osso buco)

I agree! So much better!

I've been to Chops twice, and each time I've left quite disappointed. Giovanni's steak is wonderful and much better than Chops (though I am partial to Giovanni's osso buco)

I have to agree with this post. DD had a wonderful petite filet in Giovanni's. She ordered the same item at Chops. While she said the Chops fillet was OK, she felt that the one she had at Giovanni's was more tender & flavorful (and larger!). I, on the other hand, didn't care too much for my dinner at Chops & will probably pass on going there on our next cruise.

Chops is not what it was 5 years ago. Cheaper steaks, sides, and desserts. Really not worth the $35 surcharge anymore.

The steaks don't have much taste. They taste as if they've been steamed instead of being cooked on a grill. The meat looks grayish. We won't be going back and paying the $35 pp either.

I know that food is very subjective. My wife and I went to Chops on the FOS on our last cruise (Oct. 2013), the Porter House that I ordered was as good as any chain steakhouse (talking about the one with Aussie flare). Again I know that everyone has an opinion about food and mine seems to be much different then everyone else.

There are two types of aging. Dry-Aged and Wet-Aged.

For dry aging you start off with subprimal cut of beef. I.E, a piece of beef that can be butchered into multiple cut of ribeyes or strips etc. For restaurants they store them in a cooler for multiple weeks. The beef will dry out some thusly concentrating the flavor. They are then butchered into individual steaks.

For wet aging, the beef is stored in a cyrovac bag for a few days.

Dry aged beef can and most likely delivered to the restaurant cyrovac'ed. The restaurant simply removes the cyrovac, removes any moisture and proceeds as above.

My guess RCCL is referring to wet aging. In my opinion this is no different than going to your grocery store and buying a steak.

I believe most of the high end chain steak houses, Ruth's Chris etc don't actually do dry aging nor do they claim to. However they most likely use Premium grade steaks vs the Choice grade or lesser that is available in grocery stores. Also they cook at very high temperatures that are almost impossible for a home cook to replicate.

In regards to the poster who chuckled about listing prime rib at the beginning of the cruise as just "prime rib" and later during the cruise as "aged prime rib", technically this could be correct. The prime rib used later in the cruise has just been in their cyrovac bags for several days longer so are now "wet-aged" :)

What's the typical definition of "aged" in the steak business? Hope it isn't "left over from last cruise"?

There are two types of aging. Dry-Aged and Wet-Aged.

For dry aging you start off with subprimal cut of beef. I.E, a piece of beef that can be butchered into multiple cut of ribeyes or strips etc. For restaurants they store them in a cooler for multiple weeks. The beef will dry out some thusly concentrating the flavor. They are then butchered into individual steaks.

For wet aging, the beef is stored in a cyrovac bag for a few days.

Dry aged beef can and most likely delivered to the restaurant cyrovac'ed. The restaurant simply removes the cyrovac, removes any moisture and proceeds as above.

My guess RCCL is referring to wet aging. In my opinion this is no different than going to your grocery store and buying a steak.

I believe most of the high end chain steak houses, Ruth's Chris etc don't actually do dry aging nor do they claim to. However they most likely use Premium grade steaks vs the Choice grade or lesser that is available in grocery stores. Also they cook at very high temperatures that are almost impossible for a home cook to replicate.

In regards to the poster who chuckled about listing prime rib at the beginning of the cruise as just "prime rib" and later during the cruise as "aged prime rib", technically this could be correct. The prime rib used later in the cruise has just been in their cyrovac bags for several days longer so are now "wet-aged" :)

Accordind to the Chops menu that I downloaded the description of the steaks is that they are dry aged prime beef that are aged for nearly 4 weeks in a cooler on shore. There are two steaks only, a 16 oz. strip and a 20 oz Porterhouse. Based on what is happening in the marketplace for beef pricing it is not surprising that the prices are up for the cover charge. Everyone has their own experience dining on board. Each dining experience is unique and the food is prepared in the moment and won't be the same the next time. That piece of meat was unique to that one moment and won't be replicated. The chef will be different your next cruise on a different ship.The filets in Chops and Giovannis both came from RCCL's vendor and were loaded onto the ship in port. I would point out that in Chops they have an open kitchen where you can see the meat being prepared. I personally would not order the prime steaks but some will if they feel it's a value for them.No one has to eat in a specialty restaurant so if you don't think Chops is for you that's fine. Chops is not Peter Lugers, Mortons, or Berns but it is a different experience than the dining room. We enjoy Chops on every one of our cruises and will be eating there tomorrow and enjoying ourselves.

Ate in Chops on Radiance last March with two other couples. All of us were blown away with the standard of the meals. We had all paid for the Dining Package which included Chops, Giovannis, Samba Grill and Azumi Asian. While we all enjoyed aspects of the menus from the other Restaurants, Chops was the only one that we all were keen to visit again.

Sent from my SGP311 using Forums mobile app