!!! DIVINA !!! Eastern Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Mailman is 60??? :eek: That's it, I'm retiring to the Caribbean!! :D

We walked to El Morro when we were there in April. We took the lower road and ended up at the bottom of the left side of the walkway to the entrance. Fortunately, it was that hot yet, but still pretty warm. The walk wasn't too bad -- until we got to that giant hill we had to climb!! The open-air tram was there when we were ready to go back to the ship. I'm so surprised people are allowed to sit on those open walls (next to the cannon openings). It looked like a tragedy waiting to happen.

My husband bought one lifetime senior pass, which allows for one guest at a time. Now we just have to plan another visit to a national park!

I think that is one of my major complaints. I have grown spoiled all the other lines offering my time dinning. Hopefully they will implement this soon, that will make the ship much more appealing to us.

I was not aware that Eataly was a restaurant outside of their line. I might have to try it one day :)

Regarding my time dining, do not expect it anytime soon. I would like to be wrong, but on a recent MSC CEO appearance in cruisecritic they just replied evasively, saying they would think about it for next ships bla bla bla.

To make matters worse they have now implemented my time dining only for the aurea class, which is very expensive.

What I really don't understand about it, is that MSC has a very young fleet. And most of the ships have been built well after my time dining was introduced in basically any other line.

We don't care about little details, but dining is big for us and I don't like sharing a table, like you have to do in MSC, unless you're lucky. On our last cruise we asked for a table of two, and got it the second day (more details in my review if you like).

That is to me the most important and relevant failure of MSC. And it will prevent us to book a cruise with them if we have similar ships, price and itinerary.

MSCDivinaDay5-198_zps7b524c74.jpg

They have a bunch of fun little artifacts around the walls.

MSCDivinaDay5-199_zps3f9e3908.jpg

We all ordered. I had initially ordered red snapper, but later on I was told by our server that the fish was not good. I am so glad that he told me that, instead of serving me the old fish. So I simply said to make the paella for 2 in for 3 people.

My uncle ordered a chicken soup, he said it was fabulous!

MSCDivinaDay5-200_zpsb2bf374b.jpg

My uncle is funny, in-between food he eats a bunch of candy :D

MSCDivinaDay5-201_zps646d1154.jpg

Mom bought this one for our wall.

MSCDivinaDay5-202_zps25c93eeb.jpg

My aunt got some kind of omelet with sausage, she said it was great.

MSCDivinaDay5-203_zps0dd5e5c0.jpg

And the Paella? DEAR LORD!!!! It was the best entree that I had in this entire vacation!!!!! It was absolutely fantastic. Then again I love paella, so that statement might be a little bit biased. Either way we loved it!!!!

By the way it was huge!!!! The picture does not do its justice!

MSCDivinaDay5-204_zpsa0206fd1.jpg

We finished lunch, I think the total came out to $96 with tip included, I left a few more bucks.

I saw these and I immediately knew that my uncle would love them. So I called him over and of course he bought two of them. He said he was going to show them off at the office. Oh, by the way, he as architect for the government in Colombia. So, um yeah, I do not fully understand how showing that off in the office will go for him. But I am sure that by now you know his kind of sense of humor :D

MSCDivinaDay5-210_zps17b81bce.jpg

I found this one for mom. It is crazy how all the walking they do and they rarely find anything. I go into the store 2 seconds and I find everything they need in that time :D.

Mom bought that one as well for her collection.

MSCDivinaDay5-211_zps29dc560c.jpg

Anyone has a Lambo like this at home :D?

MSCDivinaDay5-212_zpsce297f69.jpg

And these of course!

MSCDivinaDay5-213_zps195a3d60.jpg

I will admit that there was one Item that I fell in love with! But as you imagine I have expensive taste, the cost? $45! So, um yeah, it was a no go, I could not afford it :(

MSCDivinaDay5-214_zps94919cf6.jpg

We left the store and continued walking.

MSCDivinaDay5-217_zps1f02f00c.jpg

I was kind of tired by then, so I told mom that I would be there waiting for them while they shopped a little. The funny thing is that my uncle joined me there. Mom and my aunt went on to look a little more.

MSCDivinaDay5-219_zpsdb773b7f.jpg

My uncle and waited there for about 20 minutes. I told them to take more time, I was doing fine there, the shade was prefect. But mom told me they were done. So we moved out, and started walking towards the ship.

MSCDivinaDay5-222_zps8d51f4f8.jpg

Quite honestly, there is not much to do in old San Juan other than drinking, eating and shopping. My mom loved it there, I think I would enjoy it more if there was a beach in close proximity. I think next that we go to San Juan, we will either go to the rain forest or to a beach resort.

MSCDivinaDay5-239_zps0c52c7fb.jpg

MSCDivinaDay5-240_zps9d21083f.jpg

We still had plenty of time left in port, but they were done shopping and I was done walking.

MSCDivinaDay5-241_zps9274152b.jpg

MSCDivinaDay5-242_zps5d046100.jpg

Boarding the ship was smooth and simple.

MSCDivinaDay5-243_zps5eb17eda.jpg

Mailman is 60??? :eek: That's it, I'm retiring to the Caribbean!! :D

We walked to El Morro when we were there in April. We took the lower road and ended up at the bottom of the left side of the walkway to the entrance. Fortunately, it was that hot yet, but still pretty warm. The walk wasn't too bad -- until we got to that giant hill we had to climb!! The open-air tram was there when we were ready to go back to the ship. I'm so surprised people are allowed to sit on those open walls (next to the cannon openings). It looked like a tragedy waiting to happen.

My husband bought one lifetime senior pass, which allows for one guest at a time. Now we just have to plan another visit to a national park!

I said the same thing, but there was no one there to stop them from doing that. While we did enjoy it a lot, I am not sure that we would go again any time soon. I like changing things around.

Regarding my time dining, do not expect it anytime soon. I would like to be wrong, but on a recent MSC CEO appearance in cruisecritic they just replied evasively, saying they would think about it for next ships bla bla bla.

To make matters worse they have now implemented my time dining only for the aurea class, which is very expensive.

What I really don't understand about it, is that MSC has a very young fleet. And most of the ships have been built well after my time dining was introduced in basically any other line.

We don't care about little details, but dining is big for us and I don't like sharing a table, like you have to do in MSC, unless you're lucky. On our last cruise we asked for a table of two, and got it the second day (more details in my review if you like).

That is to me the most important and relevant failure of MSC. And it will prevent us to book a cruise with them if we have similar ships, price and itinerary.

I would imagine so, a true shame. Mom and I also dislike sharing tables, I had not considered that yet. Hopefully the new builds are built with that in mind.

Gambee - still enjoying your review. It is fun to look forward to the updates every day. Thanks for taking us along with you - you are really doing a service to the cruising community.

I could say lots of wonderful things about your review, but the highlight of this one is: that ship is just gorgeous on the interior!

Great review so far Gambee.

You mentioned panorama issues with your camera. I shoot a NEX-3N, I find when doing panoramas with large landscapes I need to pan fairly quickly or else it fails. When I get to the "end" of the panorama I need to keep the camera still for several shots before it realizes I'm done.

Hi Gambee,

On page 34 now. (had to work so ...bah.) First of all, love Orient Bay. Beautiful beach and lovely lounges.

Maho Bay - OH MY GOSH. It is my favorite place to go but I do remember more beach from about 9 years ago. Can't believe how much is gone. I'm petite - 4'11" so I've been thrown into the ocean, almost flew off the fence, got sand in places that NO one wants. Basically, it's my version of heaven!!

Thirdly, I would love, LOVE to cruise with you and your family. They sound like a ball of fun! Glad you're mom was ok - that is no fun. I have shoes that slide on almost nothing. I'm a flip flop person so I wear them almost all the time.

Anyway - loved all the pictures but especially the video and pics from Maho.

Thanks! Mary

Still enjoyng the review and pictures.

One thing. Why doesn`t anyone want to share a table? We have had a boat load of fun sharing. While in Europe we shared a huge table with another couple from England. And 7 church ladies also from England. Could not wait for dinner time to hear what everyone had done that day. One of the big reason we love traditional dining.

John

Another great gambee review!

We were planning a trip on the Divina but had to cancel. It was your review that made us decide the Breeze would be the cruise we would take instead of the Divina. Great pictures of the ship as usual. Think our little ones will have a better time on Breeze. Sure would like to do the YC though.

Still enjoyng the review and pictures.

One thing. Why doesn`t anyone want to share a table? We have had a boat load of fun sharing. While in Europe we shared a huge table with another couple from England. And 7 church ladies also from England. Could not wait for dinner time to hear what everyone had done that day. One of the big reason we love traditional dining.

For some people, this is uncomfortable and they have to recharge after having that much interaction. I'm closer to you, wanting the interaction, but I understand those that are more on the introvert side of the scale.

We once shared a table on a cruise with a Japanese tour group that spoke little to no english and we found ways to interact, including acknowledging each other in port. The coolest part was at the end of the cruise when one of the people at our table worked with their guide to prepare a greeting for my wife and I at the last dinner. It was a very touching experience.