!!! DIVINA !!! Eastern Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

My take on this whole European vs American cruise:

MSC is a European line. People complain the ships are full of Europeans/foreigners and nobody speaks English.

The goal of MSC is to fill the ship...which they are doing. I don't think they care what language or nationality the passenger is....just that the passenger pays.

Why should MSC "Americanize" their experience? I think "Carnivalization" of their ship would drive away the European/foreign customer....in order to attract those who just want a cheap cruise.

And then, what would you get? The talentless entertainment like Carnival. The hairy chest contest. Servers running after you to buy drinks.

Karaoke. Shows starring the passengers.

I like the idea of gift shops that actually have decent values. Pizza that tastes like pizza. Professional entertainment. Stewards/waiters who don't become your BFF for the week.

The novelty of the Divina is "being in Italy" without having to travel to Italy.

When I go to an Italian restaurant...I expect Italian food. I don't expect McDonald's. If I wanted McDonald's...I'd go there.

So...I understand passengers who wouldn't try MSC. But, I don't understand why someone would cruise on MSC and expect "The Carnival Experience".

See, i disagree. If i can give Carnival two shots(and never again), i feel that i can give MSC a shot.

Tom, I see you are sailing Divina within the next month and hope you will write a review here.

At best I can only take two cruises in a year and in some years (2013) just one so I can't afford to experiment. I did take a leap with my first Princess cruise in August 2011 and loved the experience and my 6 th is coming up in 10 days. Number 7 and 8 are already booked for 2015.

I read various boards on many different lines as I do want to sail on different lines at some point. All the reading is my research looking for a good fit and it helps me get a good idea of whether I would enjoy sailing on a given line or particular ship. I am reading all the Divina reviews.

Even if there were no "disinterested" staff on board the "bling" decor and the dark woods wouldn't appeal to me. Glitz and sparkly stuff I don't find restful and I would shy away from any line that says "kids sail free". I cruise to relax and I don't find kids relaxing. If it said "cats sail free" then I would bring mine along as it helps me relax. It might tear up the furniture though but at least wouldn't do cannonballs in the adult pool.

Another disappointment for Gambee and for me would be the Promenade deck with a screen of lifeboats disconnecting me from the sea and the lack of a forward view for non YC passengers. On most Princess ships I can stand on the roof of the bridge or the tip of the bow and get the wind in my hair. I connect with the sea.

I know this is an MSC board and a Gambee review but was wondering why you wouldn't sail Carnival again? Did you write reviews I could see?

I hope you have a great MSC cruise and that you'll tell us all about it in October.

Norris

MSC is a European line. People complain the ships are full of Europeans/foreigners and nobody speaks English.

The goal of MSC is to fill the ship...which they are doing. I don't think they care what language or nationality the passenger is....just that the passenger pays.

Why should MSC "Americanize" their experience? I think "Carnivalization" of their ship would drive away the European/foreign customer....in order to attract those who just want a cheap cruise.

And then, what would you get? The talentless entertainment like Carnival. The hairy chest contest. Servers running after you to buy drinks.

I like the idea of gift shops that actually have decent values. Pizza that tastes like pizza. Professional entertainment. Stewards/waiters who don't become your BFF for the week.

The novelty of the Divina is "being in Italy" without having to travel to Italy.

When I go to an Italian restaurant...I expect Italian food. I don't expect McDonald's. If I wanted McDonald's...I'd go there.

So...I understand passengers who wouldn't try MSC. But, I don't understand why someone would cruise on MSC and expect "The Carnival Experience".

I agree 100% MsTabby!!! I guess when The Costa Mediterranea or The Luminosa return to the POM in December people will wonder why those ships aren't "Americanized" as well.

Tom, I see you are sailing Divina within the next month and hope you will write a review here.

I know this is an MSC board and a Gambee review but was wondering why you wouldn't sail Carnival again? Did you write reviews I could see?

I hope you have a great MSC cruise and that you'll tell us all about it in October.

Norris

Yes Norris, I write reviews, but not like Gambee and a few others out here do. They take reviewing to a whole different level.

My last Carnival review was about the Magic written 1/12 and it's out

there under member reviews under my screen name.

I guess we are Royal Caribbean people, but we've been on Princess, Carnival and soon to be on MSC.

Being our 14th cruise we were ready to try something a little bit different by going with MSC. With a great rate, an aft balcony and leaving from Miami I took a flyer on the Divina.

Usually we travel with family and mostly out of Galveston since we live in Houston and it's the first time since 2008 that it's just us two.

First time we've done two in one year too, although we have done one B2B.

Gambee didn't like most of the shows, but my wife is a show freak, so we'll be there all 7 nights. She also dresses up every night so no flip flops and shorts for me once the sun goes down. Fine by me, i can drink in any attire.

Edited by houstoncruisers2001
spelling

Ok, while I agree with your premise and think that cruise lines should have their own personality... Sailing on MSC is nothing like "being in Italy". There are modifications that cruise lines make when entering new markets. All cruise lines do it to attract the local crowd they are there for.

Yes Norris, I write reviews, but not like Gambee and a few others out here do. They take reviewing to a whole different level.

I guess we are Royal Caribbean people, but we've been on Princess, Carnival and soon to be on MSC.

Being our 14th cruise we were ready to try something a little bit different by going with MSC. With a great rate, an aft balcony and leaving from Miami I took a flyer on the Divina.

Usually we travel with family and mostly out of Galveston since we live in Houston and it's the first time since 2008 that it's just us two.

Gambee didn't like most of the shows, but my wife is a show freak, so we'll be there all 7 nights. She also dresses up every night so no flip flops and shorts for me once the sun goes down. Fine by me, i can drink in any attire.

Tom, LOL and agree on the drinking in any attire. It's a practiced skill and practice makes perfect. I am an aft cabin dweller so really looking forward to your future review of the Divina.

Will now go read your Carnival review.

Norris

Ok, while I agree with your premise and think that cruise lines should have their own personality... Sailing on MSC is nothing like "being in Italy". There are modifications that cruise lines make when entering new markets. All cruise lines do it to attract the local crowd they are there for.

LOL...I didn't mean I'd be on a Roman Holiday....just "not in the American environment I find on other lines".

But....real pizza! If it's really real pizza....just like my little old pizza man made (until he retired)....I wouldn't care if they closed done the MDR and buffet. :)

Real talent is what MSC has not high school graduates who want to travel.

I never enjoyed opera until MSC. Opera night is short enough to enjoy the incredible talented voices that I would not hear on any other cruise ship. They did something so wonderful last cruise. I believe it was on Opera night that they brought out their very talent dancers who did spectacular routines while the singing was going on. It was a feast for the senses.

Also, food wise. Real Italian is not doused in tomato sauce like Olive Garden. It is lighter on the sauces over pasta and meats and allowing the flavors of the food to shine. It is refined, gracious and laid back. You will never be bombarded to buy anything on the ship. They are the host and I always feel like an invited guest when cruising on MSC!

Hey

Houstoncruiser, we are also going on the Divina on Oct 4th and we are also from the Houston area, good to see this nice little coincidence.

Seriously? I never been on a Royal Caribbean ship that didn't have lobster.

I was on Oasis once that had an escargot shortage, but that's about it.

The last 3 cruises I've been on on RCCL were charters. Perhaps that is why they didn't have lobster-the charter company didn't want to pay for it! I didn't think about that until you said they still do have it! Interesting and thanks for the info!

Thanks for the review :)

I share different opinions to yours regarding many things, but everyone has its opinion and experiences.

Regarding the meal times: we were done in 75 minutes every night (90 minutes in nights with parades). Of course that also depends on how many dishes you order. If any of your party orders let's say 5 dishes per night it will take more. We were just the two of us, and everything went fast, even too fast sometimes!

Also shows are subjective, most reviews seem to like them, even if they don't like other aspects of the ship.

All in all, I'm glad the Divina is coming back to the Med next summer, we'll have more choices and she will be visiting our island every week, so more tourism and business for us :)

I never enjoyed opera until MSC. Opera night is short enough to enjoy the incredible talented voices that I would not hear on any other cruise ship. They did something so wonderful last cruise. I believe it was on Opera night that they brought out their very talent dancers who did spectacular routines while the singing was going on. It was a feast for the senses.

In our sailing, during the Opera night they had a real tenor as guest, not just someone who sings well and belongs to the entertainment team. He embarked in Katakolon, Greece and disembarked in Santorini, so I take it he alternates MSC ships during the week.

I'm not a big opera fan, so I would not pay to see a whole opera, but since my father has always played classic music very loud at home, I enjoyed it a lot. It was a lovely short medley from the most famous masterpieces.

Of course not everyone will like that. But to me that's far better than a Karaoke. By the way, in our case a Japanese lady won the Karaoke contest by singing an Opera in italian! It was so funny :D

Same internet package, you actually can stay on the login page on several devices. They only log you out after 24 hours I think, and all you have to do is put the internet code and your password again, to get into the login page. Very easy and efficient. The internet is truly amazing!

Thank you

LOL...I didn't mean I'd be on a Roman Holiday....just "not in the American environment I find on other lines".

But....real pizza! If it's really real pizza....just like my little old pizza man made (until he retired)....I wouldn't care if they closed done the MDR and buffet. :)

Ha, that was my suggestion in an earlier post!

Also, food wise. Real Italian is not doused in tomato sauce like Olive Garden. It is lighter on the sauces over pasta and meats and allowing the flavors of the food to shine. It is refined, gracious and laid back. You will never be bombarded to buy anything on the ship. They are the host and I always feel like an invited guest when cruising on MSC!

Totally agree the singing in all the shows is just fantastic and no other cruise line can match it, but I guess some will rather go see a hairy chest contest or karaoke.

Edited by riclop

Congratulations, Gambee, on another excellent review. I am hopeful we will enjoy MSC next week but a bit nervous. We are not very demanding so perhaps all will be well. What ship next, Gambee? Ken

As of now I have no clue, I want to hit Regal princess, but I am not sure I can find the time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by gambee

HI Gambee, thanks for the review

Do you have any pictures of the price list of the rentals on Great Stirrup Kay?

Lastly, I love your review, just on the 2 hour dinner thing…

Only thing I did not agree on was… but, this is purely an American vs Europe thing

We love it, we love the fact that we can sit together as a family, get served on, order whatever food we would like, and can spend 2 hours a day together just doing the quality time family thing

I suppose, a lot of people prefer to go to a fast food joint, getting served, in and out on 5 min, and call that quality time with the family, even though the whole time, each member of the family was glued to her /his phone, lost in the online world.

Not aiming that at your Family, just at what i experienced in the USA...

Cant wait for your next review

Edited by TheCaveman

Only thing I did not agree on was… but, this is purely an American vs Europe thing

We love it, we love the fact that we can sit together as a family, get served on, order whatever food we would like, and can spend 2 hours a day together just doing the quality time family thing

I suppose, a lot of people prefer to go to a fast food joint, getting served, in and out on 5 min, and call that quality time with the family, even though the whole time, each member of the family was glued to her /his phone, lost in the online world.

Agreed, length of dining time is subjective, and you must consider this if you chose the Divina, and go to the MDR!:)

We also love the easy going, laid back slow dining process of Divina/Europe!

We'd also be interested in your future reviews of the Divina vs the Getaway as we see you are going on both in about a month!

We were rather shocked to see there were some major differences in the 2, and although we won't state now here, we were much happier with the product quality, and pricing of the Divina!:D

Have a great cruise!

Very well said caveman.

Agreed, length of dining time is subjective, and you must consider this if you chose the Divina, and go to the MDR!:)

We also love the easy going, laid back slow dining process of Divina/Europe!

We'd also be interested in your future reviews of the Divina vs the Getaway as we see you are going on both in about a month!

We were rather shocked to see there were some major differences in the 2, and although we won't state now here, we were much happier with the product quality, and pricing of the Divina!:D

Have a great cruise!

We feel the same way MSC is a much better product for us.

Gambee,

I know, I know...I'm full of 'don't know if you know this....' But here goes. Your sandy feet from GSC. Before you head back to the ship from the beach, wipe off all the excess sand. Carry you a bottle of baby powder. Sprinkle it on your feet. It will help remove the rest of the wet sand and repel any other grains from latching on. Once you get a new significant other, hand them the bottle. You'll leave the beach with no sand, a great foot rub, and a smile.